guineapiggie101

speeding ticket

I got a speeding ticket>:( two weeks ago. The cop clocked me 19 over the speed limit.[:/] . This is my first speeding ticket in CA (and I've lived here for 8 years now). They will send me a note in the mail telling me the fine (2 weeks before court date - which is NOT mandatory). In CA, if you haven't had a ticket in the previous 18 months, you can ask to go to traffic school and that will negate the point off your license. So, that is a possibility.

A friend of mines suggested that maybe I could hire one of those traffic lawyers around and see if you can get the ticket dismissed or else reduced (without having to go to court). I'm busy with work, but I can find time to go to court. I just don't deal well with crowds and such. I dunno.

Anybody here live in CA, and hire a traffic lawyer to deal with a speeding ticket? Was it worth it? In my city, it costs about $100 to hire a traffic lawyer to deal with a traffic ticket.

Well I can't speak to CA, but a traffic ticket will usually drive your insurance up. Assuming you can weasel out of it, a traffic lawyer will cost you a lot less than the ticket plus the subsequent hike to your insurance rates.

Definitely do what you can to negate it off your license either way.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Do the traffic school thing. Simple deal and doesn't impact your insurance or count against your record. No possibility of throwing good money after a lawyer and losing anyway. Save that for something more serious.

It is THE best move you have. Take it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

guineapiggie101

Whatever I do, I do have the option of traffic school...

Generally the traffic school option ends when you show up in court and attempt to fight it. The only reason you'd show up in traffic court with a lawyer is to fight it. If you've already decided traffic school is the way to go, it makes zero sense to get a lawyer involved at all.
quade -

I was in California about 20 years ago on some highway just north of LA. Officer hits the lights and I check my speed limit and its right on the needle. So, I'm thinking "equipment something."

He pulls me over and cites me for - impeding the flow of traffic. I explain that I'm in the right lane doing the speed limit People are flying past me and I'm getting a ticket. He replies, "Yes Sir, in California you have to go with the flow of the traffic." :S But the signs say, "Speed Limit?" Yes Sir, they do. And, that conversation was pretty much over.

Came back to Oklahoma - went and saw an attorney. He did some magic and it disappeared. Still scratch my head over that one. Is that still the case in California?

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

If you were only doing 19 mph over why on earth did they stop you.

Where I live the speed limit is 50 kph we normally drive at 60-80
and the police overtake us on the way to the local bar, Mine.

Guess it must be the Spanish way.;)

Gone fishing

Zep

Depends on the jurisdiction, but above a certain threshold, they're allowed to make a bigger deal out of things like taking it from infraction to misdemeanor or even felony. Frequently people are going FAR over the posted speed limit and the cops just really want them to slow down; the guy doesn't want to do the additional paperwork. He just wants to do his freakin' job of slowing people down.

For instance, over 100, is pretty serious business.
http://helpwithtrafficticket.com/driving-over-100mph-in-california-vc-22348b/

That said, if a cop wanted to write that ticket on any given day, given the way people drive in certain areas, he could do it all day long.
quade -

BIGUN

He pulls me over and cites me for - impeding the flow of traffic. I explain that I'm in the right lane doing the speed limit People are flying past me and I'm getting a ticket. He replies, "Yes Sir, in California you have to go with the flow of the traffic."

Glad you got out of that one. What a concept, break the law or get a ticket for obeying it.

Here's a clip of WA state cops working the freeway the other days for speeding . . . or maybe NOT working it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5Es1RiupA0

Zep

Where I live the speed limit is 50 kph we normally drive at 60-80
and the police overtake us on the way to the local bar, Mine.

Guess it must be the Spanish way.;)

Only 19 mph?

In Finland, if you go over the speed limit by

- 6-10 kmh (~4-6 mph) you get a notification
- 11-20 kmh (~7-12 mph) you get a ticket with a fixed price
- over 20 kmh (over 12 mph) you get a ticket that depends on your income (the police will check your tax records if you won't tell). The current national record for speeding ticket is at 111,888 eurs (~140,000 usd).
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

BIGUN

I was in California about 20 years ago on some highway just north of LA. Officer hits the lights and I check my speed limit and its right on the needle. So, I'm thinking "equipment something."

He pulls me over and cites me for - impeding the flow of traffic. I explain that I'm in the right lane doing the speed limit People are flying past me and I'm getting a ticket. He replies, "Yes Sir, in California you have to go with the flow of the traffic." :S But the signs say, "Speed Limit?" Yes Sir, they do. And, that conversation was pretty much over.

Came back to Oklahoma - went and saw an attorney. He did some magic and it disappeared. Still scratch my head over that one. Is that still the case in California?

It is my understanding that flow of traffic supersedes posted limits in most jurisdictions.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Most jurisdictions have a MIN MAX speed limit which directly correspond to the lane number. Flow of traffic is usually the Number 2 Lane with MAX in the number 1 lane and MIN in the number 3 lane.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

JohnMitchell

He pulls me over and cites me for - impeding the flow of traffic. I explain that I'm in the right lane doing the speed limit People are flying past me and I'm getting a ticket. He replies, "Yes Sir, in California you have to go with the flow of the traffic."

Glad you got out of that one. What a concept, break the law or get a ticket for obeying it.

Here's a clip of WA state cops working the freeway the other days for speeding . . . or maybe NOT working it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5Es1RiupA0

Hi John

I think that's called a professional courtesy, or discretion. Great link.

One hot day I was l leaving Ft Lewis after work and was throwing back a cool one.
The state patrol pulled me over for something like failure to use a turn signal when changing lanes. Officer friendly, was more interested to see what I was drinking, it was a nice cool one of soda.:P

I only got a verbal warning on that one.:)

Driving while back:D:D.

We used to drive beaters, we used to get pulled over for lots of reasons, tail light is burned out. [:/] The officer was stopped at a 4 way stop sign heading north we pulled up heading east from the exclusive lake and stopped at the 4 way.

The officer should have gone first but wouldn't move. So we did[:/] He pulled up behind us and stopped us. He took a close look at our back seat with his long metal flashlight for stolen property, t.v., stereos etc. Than requested the drivers and passengers license. We lived in the next town east.

Got off with a warning for a burned out break light, before we left I wiggled the connection. The light came on and we were on our way.

My all time favorite was when we drove the same car to see a friend that was visiting her parents in a small farming community in Illinois, not sure close it was to Chicago but those folks were very alert.

We were wandering around dark thirty trying to find our friends house. The volunteer police patrol stoped us in mutiple cars ask for both of our drivers licence. We complied, then they asked what we doing in their town.

Looking Susan xxx. One of the volunteer cops says, yep we noticed she was back in town and gave us directions, we were close just not close enough. When we got to Susan ' s house she was waiting at the door for us. Lots of folks had police scanners in case the volunteers needed back up.

The black folks aren't the only ones that are profiled. Happens to poor folks more than you think. You don't know what you don't know.

Don't have a clue why everyone still has to take off their shoes for the TSA. I'm surprised they allow anyone to fly wearing underwear.:D

I could go on about the police and sheriff's in king and pierce county. I don't see the upside in dealing with them. [:/] I refuse to let them enter my house. It is what it is.

Rant over.

Don't worry be happy.
R.I.P.
One Jump Wonder

Andy9o8

I think you need to recall the long-standing history between CA cops and Okies. There's your answer. ;)

See, therein lies the problem.

They forgot their roots.

if it weren't for Oklahoma Cowboys, they might not exist.

I coulda been some 3rd cousin twice removed thing. :D

Personally, I think it was a rental car "thing."

quade

Do the traffic school thing. Simple deal and doesn't impact your insurance or count against your record. No possibility of throwing good money after a lawyer and losing anyway. Save that for something more serious.

This. Or, you could possibly plead mercy on the court and say you'll pay the fine if they'll dismiss the points. But, I don't live in California and can't say for sure what its like.

Now go watch Moving Violations 2 or 3 times. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

***Do the traffic school thing. Simple deal and doesn't impact your insurance or count against your record. No possibility of throwing good money after a lawyer and losing anyway. Save that for something more serious.

This.

I agree. Despite Bigun's encouraging personal anecdote of his lawyer (an out of state one at that!) getting his ticket to disappear, truth be told, these days that really doesn't happen very often at all, absent a convenient convergence of connection and corruption. 19 over, clearly guilty, and you can avoid the conviction, points and insurance up-tick by attending traffic school? Many states don't offer such a clean get-away with a speeding offense. It's a no-brainer.

Andy9o8

I agree. Despite Bigun's encouraging personal anecdote of his lawyer (an out of state one at that!) getting his ticket to disappear, truth be told, these days that really doesn't happen very often at all, absent a convenient convergence of connection and corruption. 19 over, clearly guilty, and you can avoid the conviction, points and insurance up-tick by attending traffic school? Many states don't offer such a clean get-away with a speeding offense. It's a no-brainer.

I agree too. If an officer gives you a ticket on an open freeway, and has the matching lidar recording to go with it, it's a pretty tough argument.

A few years back I did give someone a hand writing a "trial by declaration" letter that was successful in getting a speeding ticket dismissed (this may just be a California thing.) In that case the ticket was for 53 in a 35 on a surface street. The conversation with the officer had gone something like this...

Officer: "I clocked you at 53."

Friend: "I wasn't going 53, can I see the reading?"

Officer: "Well I didn't clock you but you were passing the car I did clock, so I estimated your speed to be 53 mph, and I'm writing you a ticket."

Friend: "Okay, could you please write what you just told me on the ticket?"

And he did, and that was a pretty easy argument to win. It also helped that the car in question was a 4-banger accelerating up a hill from being stopped at a stoplight and couldn't have hit 53 mph by the point the officer puller her over if she had been trying.

Andy9o8

******Do the traffic school thing. Simple deal and doesn't impact your insurance or count against your record. No possibility of throwing good money after a lawyer and losing anyway. Save that for something more serious.

This.

Different story... I wasn't speeding.

I guess that is the best way to go with it. I'm a bit worried at how much $$ the fine will be, as well as the traffic school. But I DO want to avoid the point off my license.

Thanks for all your help. And it's been entertaining reading the speeding anecdotes on here from othersB|.

I need to pay more attention to my speed when I drive.

Andy9o8

I'm a bit worried at how much $$ the fine will be, as well as the traffic school.

Over the long term, less than the alternative.

Agreed. Not only would you be paying the fine for the speeding ticket, but your insurance could double... give or take. And you'll be getting raped in the wallet for months.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban