kallend

Anniversary of parachuting

"André-Jacques Garnerin (31 January 1769 – 18 August 1823) was a balloonist and the inventor of the frameless parachute."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9-Jacques_Garnerin

And packers owe him debt of gratitude.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Hi John,

And this program starts in just a minute or so:

NOVA

KOPB-DT - 10.1 - Wed, 10/22, 9:00 PM 1 hr

"Ben Franklin's Balloons"

New, 10/22/2014, Science & Technology

Experts explore the first stage of human flight, which began with aeronauts and inventors in 18th-century Paris, as they use period tools and materials to build an early version of the hot-air balloon and re-create a number of important flights.

Jerry Baumchen

keithbar

Sewing machines and nylon. Not very period correct imho

Sewing machine was patented in England in 1755. Known to be in use by 1790. Commercially available by 1830.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

okay soo what about the nylon balloon envelope and aluminum framework of the gondola hidden under the fabric drape? and the propane burner. I just don't get the point
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Hi keith,

I just don't get the point

Your first post made me think that you watched the program. Then this post makes me think you didn't.

In the program, they said that they did it like they did ( not a true copy of the original ) due to not having the man-power that was used to build the original.

Things change,

Jerry Baumchen

PS) It was still a great program for us history types.

actually I do consider myself a little bit of a history buff .and I did watch the program . although I was in and out of the living room getting my gear together to go bow hunting the next morning. I thought the second part about the gas balloon flight across the English Channel was quite informative.I had a good chuckle where they said the guys had dumped ballast by taking a leak over the side.:D but I think the part about let's do it this way because of the. Period Correct way is too hard was a cop out. it's like me saying I really want to build a. Period Correct log cabin from the 1830's. then I go out into the woods and swing an axe for a day. then say damn this is too hard call up Honest Abe log homes have them deliver me a kit.then break out the chainsaw and power tools and build it. Then step back and say look at my. Correct log home

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

keithbar

actually I do consider myself a little bit of a history buff .and I did watch the program . although I was in and out of the living room getting my gear together to go bow hunting the next morning. I thought the second part about the gas balloon flight across the English Channel was quite informative.I had a good chuckle where they said the guys had dumped ballast by taking a leak over the side.:D but I think the part about let's do it this way because of the. Period Correct way is too hard was a cop out. it's like me saying I really want to build a. Period Correct log cabin from the 1830's. then I go out into the woods and swing an axe for a day. then say damn this is too hard call up Honest Abe log homes have them deliver me a kit.then break out the chainsaw and power tools and build it. Then step back and say look at my. Correct log home

Hey, I've been to Abe Lincoln's birthplace. They built their log cabin inside a Greek temple.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.