theonlyski

Cisco Certified NA/NP/IE's?

Hey guys, working on getting my NA and hopefully start working on the NP after that... Got a few routers in my HOME lab, looking for interesting ways of setting them up that would get me in the 'know'.

My home lab consists of:

3x 2950 switches, 24 port
3x 2611 routers, 2 of which have serial WIC's (60 pin), all 3 have 2 ethernet ports
3x 2501 routers, all have 2 serial ports (60 pin)
6x 1760 routers, all have one 2 port serial WIC (HP26)
4x 2620 routers, all have one FE and a 2 port serial WIC (HP26)
1x 2621 router, same as the 2620

So, if it were your home lab, what would you work on and how would you wire it?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

we're using packet tracer and setting up cool networks in school. i love that program, you can set up ip phones and actually call them. no limit to what you can achieve with it. i am studying for the ccna, my instructor told me to first learn the shit from the books to get an understanding of the material, then take practice tests til i get it down.
http://kitswv.com

No home lab, virtualize it all!

No serious increase in electric bill, no outlay of cash, no noisy Cisco fans.......

GNS3

You just need a Cisco contract to access all the IOS images.
Legally anyway....

I'm over the certs now....I let my CCNA, CCNP, CCSP, and MCSE certs expire some time ago.

Get a copy of the book "CCIE Routing and Switching Practice Labs", or just subscribe to Safari Books (which is what I do).
It contains the L2 & L3 topologies of a couple extensive CCIE practice labs.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Got a few routers in my HOME lab,

You have 15 routers! That is a lot. If you are just starting out on your CCNA, then start small. 3/4 routers and 3 switches is all you need for the NA. I don't know what feature sets/images that are installed in your equipment, but you would want to get the highest code/feature set you can get for the devices you have. That will get you all the features you need for the NA and NP.

I would work on whatever topics they cover on the blueprint.

I attached a pic that shows a sample lab that I would recommend. There is a doc on cisco's website to turn a router into a frame-switch. With this physical layout, you can add direct serial connections between the routers for different topologies.

Got a few routers in my HOME lab,

You have 15 routers! That is a lot. If you are just starting out on your CCNA, then start small. 3/4 routers and 3 switches is all you need for the NA. I don't know what feature sets/images that are installed in your equipment, but you would want to get the highest code/feature set you can get for the devices you have. That will get you all the features you need for the NA and NP.

I would work on whatever topics they cover on the blueprint.

I attached a pic that shows a sample lab that I would recommend. There is a doc on cisco's website to turn a router into a frame-switch. With this physical layout, you can add direct serial connections between the routers for different topologies.

17 routers actually. :)
I only paid less than $200 for the things I bought, everything else was free. (right place, right time)

I have enough IOS's to go around, may not be able to load advipservices in some of the routers, so no IPv6, but I'll live.

Been thinking about flipping one of the 1760's into a frame relay switch.

I've taken the 802 exam twice, came up 10 points short of cut off both times, I'm tired of wasting the money on the tests... this should help.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

then there's the how2pass.com approach as well....
[:/]

Given the virtualization software out there, I don't know why anybody actually sets up hardware at home these days.

I still use GNS3 as a lab to certify configs for real world networks.

After burning way too much time fighting with GNS3 burying the cpu at 100% and bringing everything to a crawl, I had enough and went back to using EOS'd hw from eBay.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

then there's the how2pass.com approach as well....
[:/]

Given the virtualization software out there, I don't know why anybody actually sets up hardware at home these days.

After burning way too much time fighting with GNS3 burying the cpu at 100% and bringing everything to a crawl, I had enough and went back to using EOS'd hw from eBay.

My laptop doesn't really like virtualizing all that much, unless GNS3 allows remote computing (IE I can build it on my laptop but another networked server is running it) I won't have much use for it either.

anyone graduated from any college program with bachelors degrees focusing on network/administration/design/security?

it seems as though most technology programs at universities ive researched focus on computer science/engineering, as opposed to networking specifically..................
gravity brings me down.........

anyone graduated from any college program with bachelors degrees focusing on network/administration/design/security?

it seems as though most technology programs at universities ive researched focus on computer science/engineering, as opposed to networking specifically..................

I graduated 20 yrs ago, but in my last year before getting my BSEE I took a masters-level class in Data Communications, which was my intro to networking.

Get a copy of the book "CCIE Routing and Switching Practice Labs", or just subscribe to Safari Books (which is what I do).
It contains the L2 & L3 topologies of a couple extensive CCIE practice labs.

Why the hell would you recommend CCIE labs to someone working on a CCNA? :S There is no point on adding that much shit to the pile already there! :P
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

GNS3 is only really useful for routing and maybe firewall testing. Many real world networks incorporate L2 stuff that GNS3 is useless for.
Owned by Remi #?

My laptop doesn't really like virtualizing all that much, unless GNS3 allows remote computing (IE I can build it on my laptop but another networked server is running it) I won't have much use for it either.

The Ops guys at my former company had GNS3 set up on a server in a DC for use with their desktops, so I think there is a way to do something like that.

After the CISSP and the Adtran certs, I'm full.

I've had an earful from a good friend about the CISSP. He says it is crap, full of vague, nonsensical questions, and has nothing to do with reality. He has worked in security for years, and he *has* the CISSP.

>:(

Back when I was doing the NetAd for my unit while we were deployed, if there were no missions running, I'd do my changes at 4 am or so.

Man, that commander sure had a knack for being on the phone when I reset that specific router.:$

"Looks like the signal went out again, you know how those contractor networks are, I'll get right on it!":)

It's a FIX.
NOT a change!

:)

ROFLMAO!!!!

There is a huge difference there!!! ;)

We need to do this...Ok its a change.
We need this done now...Ok its a break fix.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Couldn't even add right...:$

That's a good deal for all of that equipment. PM me if you want code. I can get them for you. ;)

1760 should be fine for a frame-switch. Didn't even think about that.

Just keep on studying and taking the test. I wouldn't take examcram or pass4sure websites. Those tests are verbatim to the real tests and you'll just be a paper certified engineer.

The Cisco CCNA press books are not that bad either to follow with.