climberjumper

AFF in Spain - Which DZ?

After a disastrous attempt to get my A license in Ireland by doing it at the weekends which resulted in me sitting around in the DZ waiting for the rain to stop / wind to die down / Tandems to finish, so I gave up. I managed to do a tandem jump and AFF 1 - 3.

Now I've decided to do it properly by taking a week off work and going to Spain. If possible I'd like to get some suggestions from you guys on what would be the best DZ? There are so many advertised!

Blue Skies

I have only jump at Sky Dive Spain in Seville, was very nice.

Very large landing area with lots of outs. Plane ride to 15k is 6-8min. People are super nice. Pulse there is a senior and master rigger on staff.

I will be going back there in March for more jumps.
John - D.S 1313

"I'll jump it, Np. It's all good"

The biggest dropzone in Spain - in fact they did the most jumps in the world the other year (including Eloy), is Empuriabrava, north of Barcelona.

While it's a great DZ, in a town well known for it's nightlife you may find that it's not the best place to do AFF. They do a lot of AFF and tandems there but, the landing area is not the biggest (long and thin) and the off landings are not good (town and lots of canals). Instructors, planes and gear are all top notch, prices are competitive and I like going there as an experienced jumping so it is a place to think of - but just be aware of the smaller landing area and lack of nice off landing sites mean a novice should be careful.

Blue skies

Paul

Hi,
I did AFF in Empuria ( http://www.skydiveempuriabrava.com )and can only recommend it. Cannot say a bad word about them. Great planes, great instructors, great gear, great people and so on. I did my AFF and 'bout 10 solo jumps at the end of February 09 within 1 week. If you would like to do it there, do it NOW, as it usually gets very windy between Mid-March till the end of April. I slept in the bunkhouse which is a 1min. walk from the manifest area and a good place to stay as it is cheap and you meet a lot of great people. There are also quite a few cheap hotels in that area, which offer good deals especially this time of the year. Don't forget to check out the skybar as well!

My sig line contains the link to my AFF videos (all levels). You will have fun!!

Cheers from Dublin B|

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/4000meter
Youtube Favorites: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjnVsp4Epra-PRDETgrF3M04B3X86X1eh

I did my AFF instructors course with Markus as Skydive Spain. I spent 3 weeks there, so I got to see a lot of how the DZ runs, as well.

Markus' home DZ is Lillo, I think, but he travels a lot to give instructor courses.

I can certainly recommend Jonno and the gang at Skydive Spain as a good group of instructors. And, right now, you can't beat the winter weather. There is a bunkhouse at the DZ, with a shower trailer outside, a nice cafe at the DZ. The little town is only 5km from the DZ, where you can stay for under 30 euro per night. Rental cars can be had in Spain for around 10 euro a day, which makes it quite cheap.

I don't think you can go wrong at Seville, Lillo, or Empuria. But Seville has the warmest weather in the winter.