AggieDave

The other Thanksgiving workers.

With everyone so upset that retail stores are opening on Thanksgiving I can't help but think of the Thanksgivings, the Christmas Eves and Christmas Days I worked, absent from my family when I was a full time cop. Think of them those days too, maybe even drop by some snacks or a hot plate to your local Fire or Police department on those days. I promise you they'll appreciate it!

Good examples would be prepackaged prepared food, as historically there have been cases of people trying to poison fire and police personnel with tainted food.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

a. That's disgusting that people do tainted food. Absolutely disgusting
b. Other people might do that on the holidays (I know that when I worked mission support on Christmas, there was too much food). Feel free to do something like that any day. But I guess, yeah, prepackaged [:/]

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

AggieDave

With everyone so upset that retail stores are opening on Thanksgiving I can't help but think of the Thanksgivings, the Christmas Eves and Christmas Days I worked, absent from my family when I was a full time cop.

Was?:o
What are you doing now?
I know about the arm injury, but thought that was a temporary situation.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***With everyone so upset that retail stores are opening on Thanksgiving I can't help but think of the Thanksgivings, the Christmas Eves and Christmas Days I worked, absent from my family when I was a full time cop.

Was?:o
What are you doing now?
I know about the arm injury, but thought that was a temporary situation.

I was working on my exit from full time LE before the injury. I have my book series that just signed with Winlock Press (an imprint of Permuted Press) and a photography business. Besides that I teach collision reconstruction and consult for depositions as an expert on the side.

As for the arm, it has been 5 months since injury and nearly so since the surgery and I'm still a very long way from recovery and still experience daily pain. Caught the burglar who caused the injury and he's in prison now.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

+1

There's a BIG difference between a job that requires an employee to work on Thanksgiving to serve the public (LEO, fire department, hospitals, ATC...) and a job where the employer requires them to work on Thanksgiving simply to serve the employers' bottom line.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Shouldn't that whole pesky "Profit thing" be erased from the American way? It's just upsetting that so many people hire on to a job they know requires holiday work and yet, they still do not choose to walk out the door. I just don't understand it.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

Shouldn't that whole pesky "Profit thing" be erased from the American way? It's just upsetting that so many people hire on to a job they know requires holiday work and yet, they still do not choose to walk out the door. I just don't understand it.

Employers can afford to forgo profits for one day each year.

I will not shop on Thanksgiving Day. Period.

BIGUN

Because for many people in many locations there are not other options. Walking out the door means walking away from your only opportunity for a paycheck.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I work a lot of holidays, 48 hour shifts at an ambulance station. Sometimes the schedule rolls around in a crews favor and a lot of holidays are days off. I used to pick up those days when I was single for folks with families. This year Im on duty but it's alright being as the wife is on duty also (she does 72s and 96s B|)

My sister works at Target and as for working Thanksgiving, it was a "wait and see what WalMart is doing" as far as opening times etc....

As for those working, I make an effort to at least say thanks to folks, have a good holiday. Cops on the street, that ambulance crew posting on the street corner, nurses, the person mopping the floor in the ER, that old lady trying to make ends meet behind the counter at Jack in the Box etc.

------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Thanksgiving used to be on the last Thursday of November.

In 1939 November had five Thursdays, so Thanksgiving was going to fall on the 30th, which retail lobbyists worried would shorten—and therefore hurt—the Christmas shopping season. So in August, Roosevelt decided to move Thanksgiving up a week to the 4th Thursday.

So retail businesses already messed with Thanksgiving once, yet that is apparently not enough for them.

Kudos to all those in public service roles who really do have to work on Thanksgiving.

NWFlyer

***Shouldn't that whole pesky "Profit thing" be erased from the American way? It's just upsetting that so many people hire on to a job they know requires holiday work and yet, they still do not choose to walk out the door. I just don't understand it.

Supply & Demand. If nobody shopped on those days, the stores wouldn't open. If you walked in the door to apply for a job knowing that a holiday is one of their biggest revenue producing days; then don't act surprised or complain when you have to work a holiday.

There's always options. Even in Detroit where the only option is to leave. Which gives one many more options.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

Supply & Demand. If nobody shopped on those days, the stores wouldn't open. If you walked in the door to apply for a job knowing that a holiday is one of their biggest revenue producing days; then don't act surprised or complain when you have to work a holiday.

There's always options. Even in Detroit where the only option is to leave. Which gives one many more options.

Well, any further discussion on the "options" part would probably get this kicked to SC, and we're losing the spirit of AggieDave's original post anyway, which is to appreciate the folks who are doing the work that truly can't or doesn't wait until after the holiday is over. People can decide whether to shop and stores can decide whether to be open, but unfortunately fires, accidents, illnesses, injuries, etc., don't care what date's on the calendar and the folks who "keep the lights on" to help those affected are definitely deserving of our gratitude.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

... the spirit of AggieDave's original post anyway, which is to appreciate the folks who are doing the work that truly can't or doesn't wait until after the holiday is over. People can decide whether to shop and stores can decide whether to be open, but unfortunately fires, accidents, illnesses, injuries, etc., don't care what date's on the calendar and the folks who "keep the lights on" to help those affected are definitely deserving of our gratitude.

Don't forget the folks who actually do keep the lights on (power company), and those who make sure the water both comes into the house (clean) and leaves (sewage).

There's lots of essential services that need to be taken care of every day.

There are a lot of others that are "on call" on holidays. Tow truck drivers, plumbers, HVAC guys and a lot more.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

NWFlyer

Well, any further discussion on the "options" part would probably get this kicked to SC, and we're losing the spirit of AggieDave's original post anyway, which is to appreciate the folks who are doing the work that truly can't or doesn't wait until after the holiday is over. People can decide whether to shop and stores can decide whether to be open, but unfortunately fires, accidents, illnesses, injuries, etc., don't care what date's on the calendar and the folks who "keep the lights on" to help those affected are definitely deserving of our gratitude.

Oh Dear Lord... I completely forgot we were in BF. :S

Agreed.