Calvin19

Having fun with scammers.

I am selling my aircraft engine on Craigslist. I have one serious buyer and then two people trying to do a paypal scheme on me. I have the day off and am looking to have some fun messing with them. Any ideas?

both are doing the standard;
"I am working offshore and am buying [generic copy->paste my item title] I can have my personal shipper pick up your item after payment clears in your account"

I've had these happen a lot to me, and I'm not a good mark.

decompresion

Give them the name:
Robert J. Holley
2111 W. Roosevelt Road, Chicago, IL 60608
Phone: (312) 421-6700

Tell them to send a check

That is SO not a good plan.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

***Give them the name:
Robert J. Holley

Can I have your social, I'd like to complete my data entry.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

******Give them the name:
Robert J. Holley

Can I have your social, I'd like to complete my data entry.

Sure. Just send me a check for $3,000.00 and I'll have my personal courier drop it off to you upon receipt of funds.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Iago

***Play along and make them send their fake check. Then ignore them thereafter.

That's a cool idea. Start a collection!

Yep. I had thousands of dollars worth. They even threaten to sue you if you don't cash it and send them back what they are "owed". It's fun to see how long it takes them to realize that the scammers have been scammed. They're just as gullible in their greed as their innocent victims in their ignorance.

SkySpice

******Play along and make them send their fake check. Then ignore them thereafter.

That's a cool idea. Start a collection!

Yep. I had thousands of dollars worth. They even threaten to sue you if you don't cash it and send them back what they are "owed". It's fun to see how long it takes them to realize that the scammers have been scammed. They're just as gullible in their greed as their innocent victims in their ignorance.

Years ago I was selling a paraglider worth about 1500 USD and had a scammer send one of those checks to me. It was my first experience with a 419'r and I brought the check to my bank and they identified it right away as a fake. The teller explained the scam to me and I decided to keep the scammer (now my 'mark') on the hook for a while. I eventually got death threats, him telling me he has 'people' that work for him in the states and he can 'kill me in my sleep in an instant'. i recorded all of this, of course. Finally, I got to the point where we were instant messaging through some weird website, and he even CALLED me at my house on the land line. An interpreter was translating for us. Must have been expensive for him. :D. In the end he asked me if I wanted to help him scam people, to be one of his helpers. At that point I got a little freaked out and never heard from him again.

Now, all I do is try to waste their time as much as possible without them asking me to be an accomplice.

-SPACE-

I had a bogus charge show on my AmEx card a few years ago.
AmEx was happy to remove the charges, but I wanted more;
Specifically, I wanted the perp charged.

I contacted the vendor, which was a US company.
The bozos had accepted:
- A CC card with a CO address.
- A phone number in OH.
- A shipping address in ME.
[facepalm]:S
How many red flags did the fools need???

I tried contacting the PD at the ME shipping address, but they didn't seem interested.>:(

Next, I contacted my local PD. A lady detective took an interest and pursued it, contacting the ME PD. They sent a cop to the shipping address (a residence). What he found:

A deaf-mute woman lived there alone. She was accepting shipments of merchandise for her BF who "lived in a nearby city, but she hadn't met him in person yet, because they recently met online".:S She had packages stacked all over the house. She was packing multiple packages into large boxes, and shipping them to...

...wait for it....

...Nigeria.:S:S:S

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

decompresion

Robert J. Holley

Why not?

I regularly give them the items/my address as

Special Agent Calvin Hecker
International Financial Fraud Investigations
(Followed by the local FBI Office address)

decompresion

Robert J. Holley

Why not?

The FBI is more than happy to address specific complaints where there is a thread of information to follow. Just using them as a delivery service will prove to be irritating. Send them a report of what has happened so they can follow up properly. Don't just give out their names and addresses.

BIGUN

*********Give them the name:
Robert J. Holley

Why not?

The FBI is more than happy to address specific complaints where there is a thread of information to follow. Just using them as a delivery service will prove to be irritating. Send them a report of what has happened so they can follow up properly. Don't just give out their names and addresses.

On the other hand it is quite effective. Another favorite:
Brian Foley
4409 Llewellyn Avenue
Fort Meade, MD 20755
301-677-1361
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers