keithbar

deep fried turkey

a friend and I are going to be frying some for Thanksgiving I have done for years and really like it.I have managed not to burn the house down so far.;)I'm a big fan of white meat and was thinking this year about frying an additional separate just whole turkey breast.has anyone else done this does the standard minutes per pound formula work for it too? I have always used 3 minutes per pound plus an additional 5 minutes
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I'm thinking the 3 minutes per pound may not be quite enough but I'm scared if I add the additional 5 like I do for a whole turkey it may be too much.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

JohnMitchell

Sorry, no clue, but that deep fried turkey is the $hit! B|

I've got mine in the brine right now and will be smoking it over cherry and apple wood on Thanksgiving.

Flavors???

Off the chart! B|

Hey John when you say "brine" are you talking salt water?

Smoking over cherry and apple wood sounds "out of this world" GOOD!

Hey guys,
I have cooked turkey just about everyway you can think of.
From roasting, frying, smoking, to using an infrared cooker.
Recently I ran across a website that has cooking any kind of meat down to a science. Take a look at amazingribs.com .
This guy has a recipe for roasting turkey that I am thinking of trying this year. Take a look and see what y'all think.

Ron
ATP B-727 B767-757 CFI-II

Ronhend

Hey guys,
I have cooked turkey just about everyway you can think of.
From roasting, frying, smoking, to using an infrared cooker.
Recently I ran across a website that has cooking any kind of meat down to a science. Take a look at amazingribs.com .
This guy has a recipe for roasting turkey that I am thinking of trying this year. Take a look and see what y'all think.

Ron

Ron, thanks for the site......just did a quick look for now but will be back. The site definitely has some info I want to further explore.

keithbar

I'm thinking the 3 minutes per pound may not be quite enough but I'm scared if I add the additional 5 like I do for a whole turkey it may be too much.

Dude, just get a probe thermometer, stick it in the thickest part of the breast and set it for 161 Farenheit. When it starts beeping your turkey's done. Also let your turkey rest for 10 or 15 minutes after you take it out of the oil.

You never leave your turkey unmonitored, and you have a fire extinguisher suitable for oil fires on hand, right?

I don't fry mine, but I do brine it and use Alton Brown's recipe. I've been doing it since he first aired that episode and it's made a perfect turkey every year.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

GD64

Yep, about a cup's worth. Here's the recipe I use, modified slightly from Alton Brown of Good Eats:

Making the Brine
½ bunch of celery (butt end works great)
1 medium yellow onion, cut in half
3 medium carrots, unpeeled
1 cup salt
½ cup brown sugar
1 tbl. Black pepper corns
1 tbl. Whole allspice berries
1 tbl. Candied ginger

Low boil for ½ hour in a large stock pot, 1- 1 ½ gallons of water. Let cool. Strain out all the spices and vegetables before using.

Brining the turkey
Brine the turkey in the solution for 12 hours, adding enough water and ice cubes to cover the turkey completely. A 5 gallon bucket with lid works very well for this. Place in a cool area, such as garage or outside. There should be ice cubes left at the end of the brining, ensuring the solution and turkey stayed safely cold.

It does make for a tender bird. Make sure you DON'T add additional salt for seasoning... :D

The first time I smoked a turkey all I had was some hickory. Fine, but the whole bird tasted like one of those processed "turkey hams"! :D Not the effect we were aiming for. Apple and cherry are much more subtle for a light meat. Heck, I use those smoking ribs and even cooking steaks now.

JohnMitchell

Yep, about a cup's worth. Here's the recipe I use:

Making the Brine
½ bunch of celery (butt end works great)
1 medium yellow onion, cut in half
3 medium carrots, unpeeled
1 cup salt
½ cup brown sugar
1 tbl. Black pepper corns
1 tbl. Whole allspice berries
1 tbl. Candied ginger

Low boil for ½ hour in a large stock pot, 1- 1 ½ gallons of water. Let cool. Strain out all the spices and vegetables before using.

Brining the turkey
Brine the turkey in the solution for 12 hours, adding enough water and ice cubes to cover the turkey completely. A 5 gallon bucket with lid works very well for this. Place in a cool area, such as garage or outside. There should be ice cubes left at the end of the brining, ensuring the solution and turkey stayed safely cold.

It does make for a tender bird. Make sure you DON'T add additional salt for seasoning... :D

The first time I smoked a turkey all I had was some hickory. Fine, but the whole bird tasted like one of those processed "turkey hams"! :D Not the effect we were aiming for. Apple and cherry are much more subtle for a light meat. Heck, I use those smoking ribs and even cooking steaks now.

Thanks for sharing John, that was the info I was looking for on brine, and all the instructions....Perfect! Having been the electrical contractor on numerous restaurants involving extensive interaction with chefs I understand recipe secrecy as well. Heck, some treat them like they are carrying nuc launch codes.

I've been cooking steaks, pork, poultry with apple wood as well. What a major taste difference.....YUM! Unfortunately cherry wood is rare, but sounds real tasty.

Happy Thanksgiving to ALL!

JohnMitchell
:D:D:D:DOMFG!

Now I'm gonna have nightmares. :D

I looked at it, and thought: "It has bacon, looks good to me."

Then I read the comments. First one.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

we always have a fire extinguisher on hand . and we do it outside in a large gravel area away from anything flammable. plus my neighbor is a metro firefighter so if things go sideways I'm going to step back and let the professional handle it ;)

Jumpdude

Rather have ham! Don't like turkey! I've had people over the years that said "Oh, but you'd like my turkey", well, no I didn't! B|:D

Well, yeah! I usually like ham, too.

That's only because you didn't have MY turkey! Brined and smoked. :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Jumpdude

Rather have ham! Don't like turkey! I've had people over the years that said "Oh, but you'd like my turkey", well, no I didn't! B|:D

FWIW, I don't like white turkey meat because it usually is too dry from the oven roast method we usually use. So I usually ate the legs (dark meat).

However, deep fried turkey when done right, wowsza! :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban