loumeinhart

why the wait on big epic films?

I've no knowledge on the subject, and so I'm asking a bunch of skydivers..

If 'previews' are out (ie starwars), is the +/- 12mo wait to:
-build hype?
-are they not finished?
-are impactful scenes shot first for use as sneak previews?

So I have no clue how (hollywood) film production works but mostly curious why 'more epic' = 'longer wait'

loumeinhart

I've no knowledge on the subject, and so I'm asking a bunch of skydivers..

-build hype?
-are they not finished?

So I have no clue how (hollywood) film production works but mostly curious why 'more epic' = 'longer wait'

yes to all of the above. I'm sure there is a marketing reason that they delay till the Christmas season, but Post production does take a LOOOONG time, especially with graphic effects intensive movies like this one.
I did some business with the company and people that made the hobbit movies - the shooting period was actually pretty short in relation to the total time the movie took.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Stumpy

***I've no knowledge on the subject, and so I'm asking a bunch of skydivers..

-build hype?
-are they not finished?

yes to all of the above. I'm sure there is a marketing reason that they delay till the Christmas season, but Post production does take a LOOOONG time, especially with graphic effects intensive movies like this one.
I did some business with the company and people that made the hobbit movies - the shooting period was actually pretty short in relation to the total time the movie took.

Yeah, CGI work is very labor intensive. But there are a lot of things that go into the production.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

loumeinhart

-build hype?
-are they not finished?

Yes to all of the above and lots, lots more.

One of the biggest things is simply having a slot in the release calendar that makes sense. Let's say some magic happened and suddenly the next 14 $200m super hero movies were finished and ready to be shown right this minute. Could the studios just send them out the door? No. The problem would be a glut of $200m productions fighting for the exact same dollar at the exact same moment. The result would be nobody would win and everybody would lose their investment. It's absolutely vital the seven major studios look at each others calendars and work around each other. They don't do it cooperatively. They don't pick up the phone and talk to each other, but a company like Marvel announces well in advance on so-and-so a date Captain America 4 is coming out and anyone with half a brain knows to steer clear of that date if they don't want to get trounced.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Captain America 3 is officially coming to theaters on May 6, 2016 – the same day as Batman vs. Superman.

I simply don't know what I'm going to do. :)

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

Captain America 3 is officially coming to theaters on May 6, 2016 – the same day as Batman vs. Superman.

Actually, Warner Bros. has blinked. They moved "Batman vs. Superman" to a different weekend.

http://deadline.com/2014/08/batman-v-superman-new-release-date-warner-bros-dc-815462/
quade -

BIGUN

Batman vs. Superman??? How stupid do they think we are? Superman would kill Batman in an instant. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

Batman vs. Superman??? How stupid do they think we are? Superman would kill Batman in an instant. :S

I recall a time when neither would ever actually kill anyone. That ship sailed.

However, yes, this shouldn't even be a contest, yet has already played out in the comic books.
quade -

I'll add my $.02 (aside from all of the above). People now are talking about the pending release, with the information the studio wants out there. If you wait too long to announce something like these, you get people hearing rumors from talking to the friends or assistants of the big stars, then everyone is trying to scoop everyone else for the secret details of whatever project is rumored.

Dang, just look at what the Star Wars trailer did to the speculators already -- "a black storm trooper?!" (my opinion -- either the character was using the uniform as a disguise, or they've opened up the career opportunities as a storm trooper, since the clones are no longer being "grown -- but I don't WANT to know the answer until I see the movie! >:()

Additionally, the first thing I thought of when I saw the trailer is that I want to see it at a Cinebistro instead of a regular theater seat. That's going to require a rather advance reservation!

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

TriGirl

... I want to see it at a Cinebistro instead of a regular theater seat.

The ways I want to see it work at cross purposes with one another. On the one hand, I want to see it without distraction. A private screening in a studio theater would do very nicely thank you very much, but I'll take an invitation only Hollywood premier if I can swing it. (Probably not going to happen) On the other hand, I also want to see it with 1,000 screaming old school, hard core fans just like back in the day.
quade -

TriGirl

I'll add my $.02 (aside from all of the above). People now are talking about the pending release, with the information the studio wants out there. If you wait too long to announce something like these, you get people hearing rumors from talking to the friends or assistants of the big stars, then everyone is trying to scoop everyone else for the secret details of whatever project is rumored.

Dang, just look at what the Star Wars trailer did to the speculators already -- "a black storm trooper?!" (my opinion -- either the character was using the uniform as a disguise, or they've opened up the career opportunities as a storm trooper, since the clones are no longer being "grown -- but I don't WANT to know the answer until I see the movie! >:()

Additionally, the first thing I thought of when I saw the trailer is that I want to see it at a Cinebistro instead of a regular theater seat. That's going to require a rather advance reservation!

They were originally clones of Jango Fett but after some point they began using different genetic sources.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

TriGirl

Dang, just look at what the Star Wars trailer did to the speculators already -- "a black storm trooper?!" (my opinion -- either the character was using the uniform as a disguise...

Dang! Nobody would ever do that!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ADom8ach2mM/TBOu1gKodAI/AAAAAAAACYE/D-WJbHcb1Yk/s1600/HanSoloStormtrooperjpg.jpg
quade -

Dang, just look at what the Star Wars trailer did to the speculators already -- "a black storm trooper?!"

Black, white, whatever! But a Stormtrooper / ex-stormtrooper* as an individual, thinking character? That's awesome:)
* Does the Galactic Empire have a pension plan?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?