Tink1717

Drugs in sports/skydiving competition

Two questions here:

1. With the prevalence of drugs in sports, and the ways that dopers are always able to remain one step ahead of detectors, wouldn't it make more sense to regulate and control rather than ban?

2. What, if any, drugs would be useful to skydivers as competitors? EPO? B12? Steroids?

Discuss.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Yeah Tink1717, "roids" or the "clear" would most definitely help. As you no doubt know the body takes a hell of a beating during all those practice jumps. Being able to heal fast and build strength and endurance fast sounds great, because it works!
However, the "rage", suspected cancers, shrinking or non-responsive sexual body parts make it a no go for me.
I also wonder (don't know) if you get the "jitters"? This could make a normally smooth flyer a funnel magnet.

Are you talking overall in sports, or skydiving in particular?

I don't see PED being a problem in skydiving.
First off, it's far more skill than strength/endurance.

2nd (and this is actually more important) is that there isn't the money involved. The pay levels for top-level competitors, either through prize money or sponsorships, just isn't there.
The sport just isn't big enough.

As far as the "rest of the sporting world" goes, I'd just as soon see them try to keep it clean. I see it as being "not fair."

After the steroid era in baseball in the 90s, where the hitters were very clearly using PED, and blew a lot of records clean out of the water, I lost a lot of faith in the sport. Anyone who had eyes could see that McGuire, Sosa, Giambi, Bonds and that group were 'juicing.' You just don't get that big without it.

A lot of folks see it as a choice. But the problem with that, is that it then takes away the 'choice' for everyone else. If some are doing it, then the rest have to in order to keep up. I've heard that Olympic level athletes almost "have to" use PED to be competitive. Those that aren't willing to take the risks simply won't be able to make it.

And most of that shit is dangerous. It has serious side effects, some short term, some longer term. Look up how many pro wrestlers from the 80s & 90s are dead. Same thing with pro football players from the 70s. Many died young from stuff that was likely a result of PED use.

And if the pros are using it, then the kids who want to grow up to be a pro are going to use it. And that's the truly vulnerable population. Because even if you can justify use by the pros, knowing that kids will use that crap, most of whom are never going to make it big, well that's inexcusable.

There's always going to be cheating. There's always going to be cheaters. Make the prize big enough and someone will always be willing to take the risk (both getting caught and health risks).
But that doesn't mean it should be condoned.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Are you talking overall in sports, or skydiving in particular?

Both, but more to the point of what, if any drugs would jumping encounter? And how would that be tested for and enforced.

2nd (and this is actually more important) is that there isn't the money involved.

Not yet there isn't. Give it time though.

Anyone who had eyes could see that McGuire, Sosa, Giambi, Bonds and that group were 'juicing.' You just don't get that big without it.

Add to that virtually every guy in the NFL and you begin to see the point.

I've heard that Olympic level athletes almost "have to" use PED to be competitive. Those that aren't willing to take the risks simply won't be able to make it.

Yes, and as more money gets involved and the records get harder and harder to break and the need for entertainment value increases to add drama simply adds more fuel to the need to dope.

And most of that shit is dangerous. It has serious side effects, some short term, some longer term. Look up how many pro wrestlers from the 80s & 90s are dead. Same thing with pro football players from the 70s. Many died young from stuff that was likely a result of PED use.

Which is why I posed the question of regulation vs banning. Right now it's a virtual wild west and great harm is being done due to a lack of guidance. Regulation as opposed to banning might mitigate that. It would also add transparency.

And if the pros are using it, then the kids who want to grow up to be a pro are going to use it.

They're using it now. Steroids and other PED's are in high schools and even middle schools.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Go watch Bigger, Faster, Stronger.

I would see adderall being abused for competitors, for focus and clarity in a fast paced environment (obviously excluding classic accuracy here:P), and maybe xanex for keeping calm during high stress make or break competitions.

Fun fact, adderall is estimated to be the number one abused drug on college campuses, used to help studying and test taking.

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm a powerlifter in the USAPL, which is a drug tested federation, using the WADA standards. So you can be disqualified for even having too much caffeine. Read the WADA list sometime, it is an eye opener.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I don't see PED being a problem in skydiving.
First off, it's far more skill than strength/endurance.

You're missing the point of PED's. Drug use in training is a major issue in many sports. If you could spend more time in the tunnel before getting tired, wouldn't that be useful?

Also, when you get into very fast 4way, wouldn't some sort of stimulant be useful to make you go faster, not just physically, but mentally?

Now, probably a major reason why there hasn't been that much PED use in skydiving (that we know of) is that the pay off just isn't there... It's not like you'll get a million dollar endorsement deal if you win the World's...
Remster

AggieDave

Go watch Bigger, Faster, Stronger.

I would see adderall being abused for competitors, for focus and clarity in a fast paced environment (obviously excluding classic accuracy here:P), and maybe xanex for keeping calm during high stress make or break competitions.

Fun fact, adderall is estimated to be the number one abused drug on college campuses, used to help studying and test taking.

My first thought was Adderall as well.
ephedrin or psuedo-epehedrin is probably in there as well.

tkhayes

Ibuprofen is my drug of choice.....

This would be an entirly different discussion back in the '70s & '80s. ;)
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Newtroopics/ampakines!!... not only can they increase focus & reduce anxiety(aniracetam), several are known to reduce the effects of hypoxia(piracetam), increase stamina & improved tolerance to cold weather (phenylpiracetam), some are even neuroprotective so it might help save your brain!(noopept)