mikemc

How does sabre compare with ZPexe?

Can anypne please tell me how a sabre 150 compares to a ZP exe155?

I was looking for a sabre 150 and someone has offered me a ZP exe155?

Gear descriptions on this site states ZP is an eliptical but manufactures site dont mention it.

Thanks.

Hi,

The ZP.EXE is NOT an elliptical canopy. It's much more like a Sabre2 than the original Sabre. The openings are good (although I've heard of a few that were crackers) so demo the canopy if you can.

Considering the resale value of a sabre1 vs the ZP.exe I don't think there's much difference so you wouldn't be hurt in that department.

Try organize a chance to jump it before you buy it if you can to make sure it's a nice opening one (and that you like it).

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I've owned both. They are generally comparied to one another and rightly so. They are both "1st generation" high performance square canopies. Both have a reputation for opening hard, both can be tamed with proper packing. Both have very similar flight characteristics,

ZP.EXE is a little more ground hungry so tends to be a little quicker in all respects. It also has a poorer glide because of this. It will surf well if you make it and responds well to riser input. So does the Sabre.

In the UK you'll find the Sabre has a significantly higher resale value. Very few people outside of SA or UK know the ZP.EXE Say you jump a Sabre, everyone knows what you're talking about. Say you jump an EXE and you'll have to explane what the hell it is.

Remember one is a PD product with PD manufacturing standards and build quality and reputation... the other is most definately not.

The ZP.EXE uses different ZP material to the Sabre. It's sticky as opposed to slippery which makes packing 100% easier.

I'd give the exe the edge on performance and the sabre the edge on build quality.

Jump both; a beer says you'll hardly tell the difference... but differences there are.

Owned both too, and I agree about the glide angle. Sabre 2 is better.

I thought my ZP was great until 3 endcells folded under at 150 feet in turblence. My rigger saw it happen and it owuld have been unrecoverable. It did correct itself but I never jumped it again. I asked the rigger what to do about it and he said bin it. I had it checked out and brake lines lengthened, but I went and got a new canopy instead.

I love my sabre 2, but with only a dozen jumps its a shit to pack.

The ZP was nice, but that experience unnerved me, and a friend of mine had the same thing happen on his larger ZP.

I got a used Hornet 150 for sale if you're interested?

***Die with your boots on

I've been jumping a 135 ZP.EXE (loaded about 1:1) for the past 200 or so jumps and I'm very happy with it. I've jumped in some fairly turbulant winds and not (so far!:P) had any worries. My only grumble is that it doesn't have great penetration and geting back from longish sopts especially higher winds can be difficult! I've not jumped any other ZP canopy recently so I don't know how it compares to a Sabre.

Don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things!

I've also been jumping a ZP.EXE for about 200 jumps. I have a 170 loaded at about 1:1 and I am happy with it.

My only comment would be it glides a bit steeper than the Sabre's my team mates jump (can't comment on a Sabre2) but give it a bit of rear risers and it has got me back from a lot of deep spots!