mrubin

How Did You Know When to Leave?

I'd like to make the claim that it was a money issue. I wasn't making much, if any, and maintaining my reserve/jump tickets was getting pricey. But that is not what really caused me to 'cutaway'

I made a couple jumps while my wife was pregnant with my firstborn. I put a picture of the ultrasound in my jumpsuit pocket and went up for a currency jump. (just to keep current) I kept thinking about my unborn child, and my girlfriend (now wife) during the jump. And that is what did me in. I quickly realized, that my mind shifting to them, would eventually get me killed, instead of save my life. I knew that, in an emergency situation, I would be thinking about them, instead of focusing those few seconds getting a good canopy over my head. I knew that I would be a danger to myself, and to those around me. I decided to no longer jump.

I spent years looking at the sky, missing it, dreaming about it when I would hear a plane fly by. I would ache, when work would put me on or next to an airport (still to this day) As work because scarce, I slowly sold off my gear to keep a roof over our heads. (hardest thing I have ever done, and still haven't let go of my jumpsuit, helmet, and altimeter) My wife encouraged me not to quit. But I look at my family, and I know, that it was the right decision for me. The sky will be there, the gear will improve, and prices will rise, but when my children are grown, I just may go back. If Jim Hickey can start at 62 and excel, then I can too.

I miss it, and dream about it, but would not do it any differently if I had the chance to go back in time.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

No reason why it has to be your life, its a sport, have fun when you have time. Nobody says you have to spend every single day all day jumping. For me when I get to the point Im not having fun a take a few weekends off and do other stuff. When I do get out I don't burn myself out into disliking the sport. I find after a few weekends off I want to do it again, but I will never make it my life.
HELLFISH 429
POPS 11113

I think everyone else has covered it pretty well.

Our first hiatus was completely involuntary, but I'm about 98% certain that I don't want to jump while we're in Japan (don't tell my husband). We're making the drive to the DZ soon to see just how long it is, but I'm almost certain it's in the ballpark of 3-4 hours... Bunking with a toddler sounds even less appealing than bunking with an infant was....

That said, the sky isn't going anywhere, and I can tell you from experience, it will welcome you back with open arms.

I'm out of the sport right now for the second time. The first time it was because I couldn't, jump, fly, triathlon, college and 48hr swing shift week all at the same time. I took 8 years for me to get to where I could get beck in. I missed it like a big dog the entire time and couldn't wait to get back in.

That was then.

This time, it's money. Divorces are expensive and I've been struggling with money the last two years. I'm almost at the point where I can see the end of it.

But this time is different. I don't miss it. I have no longing desire to be at the DZ every weekend and deal with all the logistics it will take to make that happen.

I don't know if I'll be back. :|

Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

mrubin

For those of you who have left skydiving, either temporarily or for good, how did you know when it was time to stop?

I've been thinking more and more about leaving the sport but am having trouble making the decision. When I am at the dropzone and jumping I have a great time, but the excitement leading up to it isn't nearly as strong. The idea of a 2 hour drive each way to the dz seems like more and more of a turn off and spending a night in the bunkhouse is less and less appealing when I could be at home in my own bed with my girlfriend. It used to be that if I went more than a couple weeks without a jump I started to feel antsy, but now I find myself going longer and longer between trips to the dz.

On top of that, my girlfriend does not like that I jump. Even though I feel like I'm a safe and conservative skydiver, there is still a lot of risk and she worries. I would hate for anything to happen to me and I miss out on spending a lifetime with her, not to mention the pain that it would cause her.

When I started jumping and even up until the past year I never thought that I'd ever even consider leaving this sport. It's been such a big part of my life. I've made a lot of great friends and have grown a lot as a person because of it. I still love jumping and have a lot of fun doing it, but it has slipped way down the list of important things in my life. I'm pretty close to 500 jumps and part of me is thinking that I should give myself a few days of great jumps as a send off. Another part wants to compete in at least one Nationals and thinks that I should do one more season.

I don't know what I'll do or when I'll make my decision. I know that I have to decide what's best for me, but I'd like to hear your stories and reasons for leaving and even reasons you've stayed if you ever faced this decision.

Time and finances made my decision for me, but it is temporary.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun