promise5

The rules and guidelines for buying beer and firsts?

stayhigh

People used to hang out after sunset, and drink those beers.

How many DZ's still do that?

I'm sure most DZ's still have jumpers that do this, but as jumpers get older and more established, they just pack up and go home or get to their motel if at a boogie.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

stayhigh

Wouldn't you say that the things are much different from 20 years ago?

I've heard that was the peak.

All through the 90's, plenty were staying at the DZ when the beer light went on. There still were people staying after even after I got married in 2000 and started going home more often after the last jump. I haven't been out much at all the last 5 years. Raising my girls is my priority now.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I always stayed out at the DZ after jumping in the 70's and early 80's. Even slept there when gas prices were high enough. But I also didn't have a family to come home to, and pets to feed/take care of. I was more a part of the DZ social structure.

Now there are groups that get together after jumping and go places, or that have parties off-site at times. Maybe it's partly because the DZ is so much bigger, and this one doesn't really encourage after-DZ activities at the DZ proper because they close the buildings (they keep the airplanes in there -- I can understand). But I do know that I in no way feel like I'm part of the DZ social structure. I wish I were sometimes, but I'm part of what's going on while I'm there, and completely separated when I'm not.

I do think it's changed, but it's also that so many of the people who remember those days are old enough to have those families, pets, houses, etc. that need taking care of, and aren't living in cheap apartments with little to bring them home. And maybe a lot of the bemoaners are just too old to participate in what is going on these days; after all, if we're old enough to remember the "halcyon" days of 20+ years ago, we're not in the same age group as we were then.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

There was also a time when I would spend the weekend at the DZ sleeping on the packing tables, under the wing, where I happened to decide I could no longer walk and crawling was too far.... and when I could leave my gear out anywhere for the whole weekend or boogie and not be concerned with it being stolen. [:/]

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

stayhigh

People used to hang out after sunset, and drink those beers.

How many DZ's still do that?

I think that was a business decision. We used to party until the early hours but that meant the first load on Sunday was a nooner.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

BIGUN

There was also a time when I would spend the weekend at the DZ sleeping on the packing tables, under the wing, where I happened to decide I could no longer walk and crawling was too far.... and when I could leave my gear out anywhere for the whole weekend or boogie and not be concerned with it being stolen. [:/]

And they'd leave the planes unlocked/open. DC3s and Twin Beeches were WAY more comfortable than packing tables.

Your comment about being able to leave gear around unattended is spot on.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

Your comment about being able to leave gear around unattended is spot on.

Yeah, but who'd want that old crap? :D

Seriously, there's always been a little bit of gear theft over the years. I don't feel it's gotten better or worse, but I can't really support that with facts. How do you feel?

JohnMitchell

I remember gear being stolen all the way back into the late 70's. Of course, it may be more prevalent now.

Most gear I've known of stolen, though, was from cars parked in city and suburban driveways overnight. We never leave gear in the car overnight.

I only remember 1 incident of gear being stolen at the dz and it was quickly determined who the perpetrator was
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

I can't stand it. I have not bought beer for a 'first' since I was in AFF. I'll buy my own beer and when someone offers me one I take it. I still buy beer and give it away when I'm drinking with friends and the stereotypical jumpers at the DZ. But the stereotypical idiots will still always calls 'beer!' when someone does a back-in park job instead of a forward one. It's adorable sure, and I love free drinking, but still. I've been jumping for more than a decade (1,800+ parachute flights) and I have never liked jumpers and the way they think everything is unique and amazing. We are all jumping out of airplanes, we are all having fun in the sky. from square dancing belly flyers to wannabe red-bull wing suit pilots. I am in the lower 10% of all the DZ skill levels. Always will be. I'm here to fly, have fun, not to compete.

A man after my own heart :) I feel the same way about beer rules!

Don't get me wrong I have no problem what so ever with buying beer and sharing it. I just don't like the "for every first you gotta buy beer thing". It is great for the newbies to help them fit in and as an ice breaker. But once you have been around awhile, not so much.

As far a supplying beer, i am a fairly decent home-brewer and have been known to bring several kegs of beer for all to drink. Hell, I even set up my kegerator outside my camper at carolinafest and kept beer free flowing for anybody that walked by and wanted it all week.

justme12001

A man after my own heart :) I feel the same way about beer rules!

Don't get me wrong I have no problem what so ever with buying beer and sharing it. I just don't like the "for every first you gotta buy beer thing". It is great for the newbies to help them fit in and as an ice breaker. But once you have been around awhile, not so much.

As far a supplying beer, i am a fairly decent home-brewer and have been known to bring several kegs of beer for all to drink. Hell, I even set up my kegerator outside my camper at carolinafest and kept beer free flowing for anybody that walked by and wanted it all week.

Totally.
I will bring beer to the DZ and share with all for no reason whatsoever.

To me, the "BEER!" scream is exactly like the jokes the tandem masters play on their students every jump, of every day. The same jokes over and over. it just gets old.

-SPACE-

I had some jumping friends who told me all firsts require beer. if you can say "first" its a first. Either don't say it or bring beer.

I had the FJC, I brought beer... we didn't even jump, but ahead of time I picked up some decent stuff and left a note "from your First Jump Class". It was a huge hit, and when I came back to do my ACTUAL first jump... I brought beer as well.

I think of it as providing an opportunity to say "thanks" to everyone, and have time to sit and chill. Sadly I never made it to the beer drinking part (life responsibility), but I have had many people say "Hey! Thanks for the beers last night! We missed you!".

Its part of cultural initiation, it brings us together to enjoy (admittedly I don't drink beer so I keep some good gin, vodka, and tequila in my "emergency kit" in my car) eachother in a common atmosphere.

The concept of bringing beer for firsts is beautiful in its simplicity. And it does make a group into a family in this sport.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

promise5

Eeeeekkk sorry :P

Absolutely do not purchase anything in a brown bottle. Clear, Green, but not brown.
Also, unless it is to be poured on you, try to stay away from cans.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

justme12001

I think you got that backwards, always brown, never clear or green bottles :)

I'm gonna go hide from the corona drinkers now!

and the Heineken Drinkers, and the New Castle, and Grolsh, and Becks, and Stella, and Sol, and Tecate, etc etc
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Most brewers know this, but for all the others....

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2979/are-brown-bottles-better-for-beer

http://brokensecrets.com/2010/03/23/why-beer-bottles-are-green-brown-or-clear/

For those that choose not to click on the links, brown blocks light that can "skunk" your beer, green is all about marketing and clear is just cheaper.