promise5

Do you have a phobia ?

Calvin19

Oh, one more.

razor blades. I've cut myself open WAY to many times as a modeler and amateur carpentry. To the bone, white fat, pink strings, blah. no fun.

lots of stitches. I've been lucky to never cut any tendons completely.

I'm not looking, but is there one for model airplane propellers.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

***Oh, one more.

razor blades. I've cut myself open WAY to many times as a modeler and amateur carpentry. To the bone, white fat, pink strings, blah. no fun.

lots of stitches. I've been lucky to never cut any tendons completely.

I'm not looking, but is there one for model airplane propellers.

So, my first ever Powered paraglider flight was in the dead of winter. I was wearing gloves. My instructor told me I did not need a net on my motor, I still had the prop cage, but no net. On launch I did my standard torpedo PG launch, hands back charging hard. Then BAM! my arm goes through the nettles cage. huge noise and pain in my left hand. I get off the ground, and look at my gloved arm. My pinky is MISSING. I'm in shock, still at full throttle. So much pain masked by the shock of sharp pain, cold, and adrenaline for getting off the ground in dead wind and snow.

I fly around for a while, trying to ignore my missing finger, knowing that I will be glad for the 5 min flight no matter how long i'm in the hospital, or if my finger is gone forever.

Finally, I shut down the motor, still throbbing in pain. I land, sit back on the motor unit, unstrap and take off my glove to asses where the amputation took place.

The finger is still there. black and blue, but the glove finger is missing. Broke the bones pretty bad, but no permanent damage. I still have the glove as a reminder to "don't be an idiot" and "use a net" on PPG. But shit yeah... propellers are spinning disks of death. airplanes to electric RC planes. nasty.

-SPACE-

Cucurbita-pepo-odoro-aromate-coffee-phobia:
The fear that someone has secretly replaced your coffee with pumpkin-spice-coffee.:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Cucurbita-pepo-odoro-aromate-coffee-phobia:
The fear that someone has secretly replaced your coffee with pumpkin-spice-coffee.:D

Pretty sure that really means:The fear that someone has secretly replaced your coffee with pumpkin-seed, spiced-coffee.

Sheesh!

:P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Heights for me. I am fine in an airplane, but get me about 2 floors up and I get really nervous - ESPECIALLY those shopping mall escalators that are suspended...
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

oldwomanc6

******Do you have a phobia ?

I'm afraid not.

That, there is funny [thumbs-up]

I wish a thumbs-up icon was an option.

":D" should suffice.:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

oldwomanc6

************Do you have a phobia ?

I'm afraid not.

That, there is funny [thumbs-up]

I wish a thumbs-up icon was an option.

":D" should suffice.:P

And, usually tastes better than a thumb. :ph34r:

But not as good as a Toe.:D

Been scared to Death of snakes for as long as I can recall. I call that a phobia. Can't get over it and don't see any reason to.

Used to be really afraid of grated walkways as a kid. Would dream that I was more comfortable edging my way along the outside of a railing rather than walk across a crated bridge. No longer as afraid but still recall the panic today when walking over grates on city sidewalks.

Jon

jonstark

Used to be really afraid of grated walkways as a kid. Would dream that I was more comfortable edging my way along the outside of a railing rather than walk across a crated bridge. No longer as afraid but still recall the panic today when walking over grates on city sidewalks.

Jon

Try walking across the Royal Gorge suspension bridge in Colorado. It's like 1000 feet to the river below. The bridge was built a good while back, probably before most of us were born. The deck is made of wood planks! :o Some with gaps in between that you can see through! :S Been there done that though I wasn't scared of looking down.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

jonstark

Went there in 1980 Billy. Got the willys but had been BASE jumping by then so no phobic screams inside my head. Now, had there been snakes on the otherhand... Me and Indiana Jones.

Jon

:D I guess you haven't watched Snakes On A Plane then. :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Definitely claustrophobia...but not in the traditional sense.

Same here. It can be a big room, but if it is crowded, I am uncomfortable. I am thin, however, anything but first-class airplane seats make me uncomfortable. When I was little, I had a full-face motorcycle helmet with lots of room in front of my nose; as an adult I bought a full-faced skydiving helmet and the second I put it on, I was uncomfortable. Cowl neck sweater = OK. Turtleneck = uncomfortable. I can deal with a full-body wetsuit to scuba dive, but I prefer warmer waters that do not require one.

It boils down to anything restraining = uncomfortable. But, a small room where I know I can just open a door, or I can see out of a window is just fine. I was in a crowded casa once with no windows, and the guy next to me vomited; I was nearest to the cockpit and still the first to jump out of the plane. :)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

jonstark

Been scared to Death of snakes for as long as I can recall. I call that a phobia. Can't get over it and don't see any reason to.

Jon

You'd love the Mackinac Bridge (connects lower & upper Michigan).
The inner lanes are metal grate. Over 1 1/2 miles of actual bridge. 5 miles from shore to shore (the "causeway" parts on either end are fully paved.
And the highest part is about 200 ft above the water.
I've been over it a bunch of times. It's pretty scary. The side rails aren't very 'confidence inspiring.' I've seen stronger looking handrails on industrial machinery.

http://www.mackinacbridge.org/about-the-bridge-8/
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo