JerryBaumchen

Male Idiot Theory

Hi folks,

From today's newspaper:

New research has rigorously tested MaIe Idiot Theory, which posits that, well men are idiots and are driven to take ridiculous risks despite the clear prospects for self-harm, and for no defensible reason.

Newly published by the venerable British Medical Journal (in its annual tongue-in-cheek Christmas issue), the landmark study has shown that Male Idiot Theory holds up under scientific scrutiny. The inquiry plumbs an important but little-known database to assess gender differences in an individual's likelihood to engage in profoundly idiotic behavior: the Darwin Awards.

Winners of the Darwin Awards, which are handed out at random times, and almost always posthumously, must be found to have died (or to have sterilized themselves) in the conduct of activity that is so stupid, pointless and predictably self-destructive that they can truly be said to have done humanity a great service by removing themselves from the human gene pool.

Since 1995, 413 nominations have been forwarded to the Darwin Award committee, and 332 have been independently verified and confirmed by the awards panel.

Recipients of this award include the terrorist who posted a letter bomb with insufficient postage, and who unthinkingly opened his own letter when it was returned (apparently, because he was conscientious enough to include a return address).

After excluding urban legends, unverified accounts and honorable mentions, the study's four authors, all male, found that 318 awardees met their study's eligibility requirements. A lopsided 282 of those awardees ( 88.7 percent ) were male.

:S

Jerry Baumchen

If you take the overly simplistic explanation that men show off to prove their manliness (and attract women), this alone could explain the impulse to engage in more risky behaviour...

Overly simplistic, yes... But perhaps a bit of truth in it anyway??
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

cengland

Hold my beer and watch this :D:D:D

it used to be almost all of the " hold my beer and watch this " moments involved a hot chick watching. but now they are just go pro moment's :P:S
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

What I find interesting is you could never in a million years do a paper titled anything near, "Female Idiot Syndrome."

You'd have to title it something like, "Female Risk Taking Leadership Awesomeness."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

What I find interesting is you could never in a million years do a paper titled anything near, "Female Idiot Syndrome."

You'd have to title it something like, "Female Risk Taking Leadership Awesomeness."

Seriously??? Men have written about female inferiority/neurosis/stupidity for so long and you are annoyed that doing so now has become politically incorrect??? :S:S:|
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Nataly

If you take the overly simplistic explanation that men show off to prove their manliness (and attract women), this alone could explain the impulse to engage in more risky behaviour...

Overly simplistic, yes... But perhaps a bit of truth in it anyway??

I wouldn't put too much value on the original article. Its a christmas joke science paper based on data cherry picked by a man-hating feminist with an axe to grind.

So obviously its going to prove that men are idiots.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

quade

You'd have to title it something like, "Female Risk Taking Leadership Awesomeness in an environment of male dominated gender bias."

Fixed it for you! ;)

Nataly

***What I find interesting is you could never in a million years do a paper titled anything near, "Female Idiot Syndrome."

Seriously??? Men have written about female inferiority/neurosis/stupidity for so long and you are annoyed that doing so now has become politically incorrect??? :S:S:|

He was taking quite a risk posting that. What an idiot.

Nataly

***What I find interesting is you could never in a million years do a paper titled anything near, "Female Idiot Syndrome."

Nope. What I'm saying is, it is and always will be considered "safe" to call males idiots. The opposite can not be said about females.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

******What I find interesting is you could never in a million years do a paper titled anything near, "Female Idiot Syndrome."

Nope. What I'm saying is, it is and always will be considered "safe" to call males idiots. The opposite can not be said about females.

Bingo. Call a woman an idiot to her face, you better have balls of steel. Or at least be prepared to face her wrath. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

*********What I find interesting is you could never in a million years do a paper titled anything near, "Female Idiot Syndrome."

Bingo. Call a woman an idiot to her face, you better have balls of steel. Or at least be prepared to face her wrath. :P

Cold, calculating, devious, hedonistic wrath . . .
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Nataly

You forgot to mention how we talk about female drivers.;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

They can drive?:o
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Nataly

Seriously??? Men have written about female inferiority/neurosis/stupidity for so long and you are annoyed that doing so now has become politically incorrect?

Point to Quade.

quade

******What I find interesting is you could never in a million years do a paper titled anything near, "Female Idiot Syndrome."

Nope. What I'm saying is, it is and always will be considered "safe" to call males idiots. The opposite can not be said about females anymore. FIFY!
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

turtlespeed

They can drive?:o

Really?? Ryoder!!
And yes Turtle I'm an excellent driver!!
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.