linestretch

pilot chute all spun up......???

Ok, I haven't gotten a legitimate answer to this one. It's a new pilot chute, and about half the time, I land and the bridle is soooo friggin twisted, it takes a few minutes to untwist, and it's really pissin me off (and it always happens when I'm in a rush). Anyone have a decent reason as to why??? And maybe how to fix it????
my pics & stuff!

Mine does that too.

Do you have a FF handle? My thought is that the FF handle is keeping the PC from collapsing semetrically (sp?) thus giving uneven drag and spinning the hell out of the bridle/PC.

That's the only think I can come up with, since sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. You'd figure if the PC wasn't true, it would do it all the time, same if the PC's kill line was too long or something like that.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If the kill line is too long the pilot chute will not collapse all the way. Look at it next time you're under canopy and see if it's still partially open. The right answer is to get it fixed by a rigger so that it collapses all the way. A short term fix until then is a simple overhand knot where the kill line attaches to the apex of the pilot chute to shorten it.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I hate it when my PC spins up, i also would like to know what to do about it. It's not just with a freefly handle, i've got a Hackey and it 'll twist up my bridle just as bad.

------------------------------------------------
NIL VOLENTIBUS ARDUUM.
(nothing is difficult for those who really want it)

Okay I am neither a rigger nor an aerodynamics kinda engineer.

"thus giving uneven drag and spinning the hell out of the bridle/PC."

Airflow off the top of the canopy is never exactly even, (its turbulent too) so I don't think handle selection is a huge factor in this. I think its just one of those things we'll have to suffer until someone comes up with a lightweight, compact swivvel that would sit between the canopy attachment point and D-bag/bridle. Even then I'd expect some twisting up to occur.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

That’s a good idea. There are swivels like that available commercially – I can remember using them course fishing.

Sea fishing tackle ought to include something that would reliably take that kind of load and yet still be small and light enough. It’s not like you lose your life if it fails anyway – if it’s between the d-bag and canopy everything’s already out and deployed by the time there’s a load on that point.

As for the PC spinning – something about it being cut slightly un-symmetrically springs forth from my memory. Wouldn’t be surprised if that were in relation to un-collapsible PC’s though.

For the record I use an FF handle and don’t suffer from a twisted bridle.

I'm still not sure it would work properly Matt, and then it might induce wear on the canopy top skin around the attachment point.:SB|
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Ok, I haven't gotten a legitimate answer to this one. It's a new pilot chute, and about half the time, I land and the bridle is soooo friggin twisted, it takes a few minutes to untwist, and it's really pissin me off (and it always happens when I'm in a rush). Anyone have a decent reason as to why??? And maybe how to fix it????

Pilot chute spin ups are usually the result of a manufacturing issue. Things to look for: are the support tapes parralell to the mesh or 45 deg biased across it? Piolt chutes with tapes running paralell to the mesh have a tendency to warp at the seam causing an uneven edge. Is the pilot chute collapsed all the way with no inflation points visable?. Does the pilot chute start to spin up on deployment or under canopy?

Lay the pilot chute out flat and check for symetry using a ruler it could have been built "out of round". Also check the length of all the support tapes, are they all the same length give or take 1/4"? Check the length of the bridle, is the correct length? Is it too long or too short? Check with the manufacturer.

Hope this helps.

Mick.

The old PC was starting to do it, so I replaced it, had probably 600 jumps on it. This one started doing it right off the bat, but I've put close to 100 jumps on it, so I don't think it's returnable.

I've heard the idea of the knot in the kill line working, but still not buying it. It collapses just fine. As for symetry, I'm thinking that's the issue.

By the way, the old one was a hacky handle, and the new one is a monkey fist.
my pics & stuff!

paraflite used swivels about 30 years ago to keeptheir reefing lines from getting twisted up. i can tell you that they went thru 2 or more designs and each of them broke occasionallly ,not as big a problem today since no one uses a pilot chute controlled reefing system,but still expensive whaen you consider what it would cost to replace your pc and bag.

You might try exposing it to a good wind, out the window of a car or something (start slow, be careful of course). You could experiment to see if it spins when cocked or not cocked, even trying other peoples PCs.

No twisties on mine. My old baby para-foil with the reefing line used to get a lot, would just spin it around while standing up - maybe take 15 seconds.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

my pilot cute is currently doing this too.... i've been told by one of the riggers i go to it is my killline.. ilooke atit from under canopy ansd sure as sht, it wasn't colapsed all the way.... just realy don't want to have to undo the fingertraping and bar tacking that is how it is secured either to the ring or the handle....... i'll getto it eventualy...