keithbar

Eric roner cluster balloon / shotgun jump

B| any one have a link to the video? I saw it the other day and it was wild. How many people can say they have been in free fall with a pump 12 gauge shotgun in their left hand ? pretty epicB| and :S but I would do it in a heartbeat.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

ryoder

***Anyone know what it costs to do this? It's been a long time dream of mine.

It cost Lawnchair Larry $1500, plus the cost of the balloons: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Walters I would guess the helium is the biggest cost. And I bet it has gone up since armchair Larry's day
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

SkyMagilla

The story said he used 50 tanks of helium. I presume that's the small party balloon size, which run about $50 each. So 50 x $50 = $2,500, just for the helium. Yikes...

Hmm, makes the hot air balloon jumps I do on a regular basis look pretty cheap heh heh.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I just watched the video again and it would be more than that because the tanks they were using were the ones that are like 4 foot tall like you see you on cutting torches and welders I wonder what the deposit would be on the 50 of those type of Tanks I bet a bunch:o what I don't get.well I guess I do get it he's a hardcore BASE jumper but why would you wear your base rig only from 8000 feet why not just wear your regular skydiving rig and get your swoop on at the end

keithbar

I just watched the video again and it would be more than that because the tanks they were using were the ones that are like 4 foot tall like you see you on cutting torches and welders I wonder what the deposit would be on the 50 of those type of Tanks I bet a bunch:o what I don't get.well I guess I do get it he's a hardcore BASE jumper but why would you wear your base rig only from 8000 feet why not just wear your regular skydiving rig and get your swoop on at the end

I once wanted to do this so I checked how much helium I'd need. Turns out one liter of helium can lift about 1 g at STP. So for me I'd need over 100,000 liters (~26,400 us gals) to get off the ground. At the local gas supplier the cost was around ~ 17 €/m^3 so the jump would've cost, just for the gas, a minimum of 1700 euros. Decided that I didn't want it that much.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Arvoitus

I once wanted to do this so I checked how much helium I'd need. Turns out one liter of helium can lift about 1 g at STP. So for me I'd need over 100,000 liters (~26,400 us gals) to get off the ground. At the local gas supplier the cost was around ~ 17 €/m^3 so the jump would've cost, just for the gas, a minimum of 1700 euros. Decided that I didn't want it that much.

Well, Helium's getting pricey right now. There are some potential other options. Unfortunately of those, Hydrogen seems like your best bet. Looks like you'd need balloons that could handle hydrogen, though, which might eat into your cost savings. There are obviously safety dangers with the stuff. From the research I've done, those aren't as bad as the mental image we all have of the Hindenburg going down in flames.

If I were going to do that with hydrogen, I'd still want a safety briefing from someone who knows how to handle the stuff, for you and your ground crew.

Either that or pay a hot air balloon pilot the $100 or so for a one-way trip heh heh. The guy I work with gets around 4 grand AGL and usually does a couple loads if he only has skydivers. Unfortunately around here we can't go higher or we'd run into a conflict with the DIA traffic pattern. Hot air balloon pilots are certified with the FAA, so you'll have to observe FAA rules for your jump -- Can't jump a BASE rig if it doesn't have a reserve. They're a lot of fun!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

what I don't get.well I guess I do get it he's a hardcore BASE jumper but why would you wear your base rig only from 8000 feet why not just wear your regular skydiving rig and get your swoop on at the end

Maybe a) incase something happens to the balloon contraption under 1500ft or so and/or b) he wanted a stable opening canopy for deployment while holding a shotgun but couldn't be bothered to get a new larger skydiving rig logoed up :P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

keithbar

Maybe he wanted to be well-prepared in case something went wrong at low altitude.

I wouldn't want a regular freefall rig at 500 feet, if I could've had a BASE rig.

I am an industrial construction contractor, and we use helium, argon, oxygen,nitrogen and acetylene on a regular basis.

We pay $17 a cylinder for just about any gas, I think acetylene in cheaper, being as it comes in smaller bottles. But, if this guy does or knows somebody with an account at a welding supply store, the cost of gas would be considerably cheaper than just the average joe would pay.

Still $850 isn't exactly a cheap jump, but much more doable than $2,500

SkyMagilla

The story said he used 50 tanks of helium. I presume that's the small party balloon size, which run about $50 each. So 50 x $50 = $2,500, just for the helium. Yikes...

The small 'party balloon size' tanks vary, if you buy the pink or red ones from a walmart that helium is diluted. It does not take pure helium to keep a party balloon buoyant, so there is no need to put pure (rare/expensive) helium into it. In the video it looks like he was using K size tanks. (NOT small, and not cheap)