bdbrown

New ZP Packing Demons

Ok after checking out new Sabre2, I am in the process of repacking it, let me emphasize in the process...can get it flaked then laid out, get all the air out but as soon as I do a s-fold the damn thing blows out on both sides. What the hell is this stuff made with, satan himself could not have thought up something so damn slippery.....I honestly think this thing has a evil mind of its own. Behave nicely till its time go in bag then it gets a case of the screaming 2 yr olds...Oh sorry that was me :)

I've put in timeout in ther corner till I get the energy for round 5 and above.
any tips on getting this thing s-folded and in the bag, so far it hasn't even been close.
Even tried a psyco pack and when I started the roll it grew width wise again. I need a bag 3 ft wide I guess....Well time to rest then try again later

--------------------------------------------------

Use your entire body to keep control of the canopy while S-folding until it gets a little easier to pack. Use your knees to keep the tail of the canopy under control. Use your forearms to keep the top of the S-fold under control, use your elbows on the side, stick a corner in the bag then the next corner and it'll work.

Sounds harder then it is, I promise! Once you master the technique of using your body on trouble canopies, no canopy will ever subject you to its will again while packing.

Now stand by for a crap load of people suggesting you psycho pack...do it if you want, I've tried it, didn't like it, found I had a much easier time getting the canopy into the bag with a standard pro-pack, but that's what I know.

Good luck!:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The reverse S-Fold worked for me... Getting my new Sabre2-170 in the bag every time now. It has about 15 jumps on it. The trick for me is that as I'm getting the last bit of air out and getting that cigar shape, I make sure I have a tight grip underneath and as far up (away from me towad the bridal) as I can( I use my left hand). I lay on it and use the hand that's not gripping the fabric (right) underneath to squeeze the extra air out up top. then I lay there and take a break for a second. It's no going anywhere at this point and I know I'm going to need to focus and do the next part quickly and smoothly. Then, when I get ready, I lift myslef up and place my right hand kind of like a karate chop right on that line you would normally make the small s-fold to. And then I S-fold the part I still have gripped in my left hand right on top of my right hand, putting the big s-fold right in front of my knees, but not on top of them. Note, the slider/lines have never left my knees. As soon as I have the large S-fold in front of me, I start using my hands to "contain" all the extra fabric and keep it contained while I start working on getting the bad set up. I typically have the bridal attachment between my fingers so I know where it is and that it's not burried in the fabric. I also keep switching hands while I work the grommets underneath, but keep all the extra fabric real tight whichever hand is doing the containing. Constantly working any piece that is trying to be unruly back into place. I just keep fighting it till I get it into the bag. I'll admit it doesn't look pretty like in sid's pics (I would say that sids canopy looks well behaived and tame compared to my tazmanian devil), but it works. Once that big s is in the bag, the big part of the battle is over. I can keep it under control by keeping pressure on the bag. Then I come around behind the bag and straddle it to keep it from expanding with my weight on the bag and hands on the open part of the bag keeping pressure there. At this point I typically can't see an actual fold to put the small s fold into, but it's there. I just use a hand to push some of the loose fabric into the fold that's there, but not really visible due to the unruly extra fabric. Then I stand the bag up and fold the slider/lines portion right in there and pull the flap over it immediately. I'm constantly mashing and squeezing and area that starts to expand...

Sorry if this is long winded, but I tried to describe it as best I can. For me its mainly keeping the thing tamed constantly till you get it in the bag. My pack jobs don't look ptretty by any means, but I get nice soft on heading openings...

hth,

BlueSkies!
-Chad

A very wise and experienced skydiver showed me that packing the new zp on grass made it much easier. It seems the moisture in the grass makes the fabric a little sticky.:)This worked wonders on my brand new spectre

A little moisture can be a definite help, but if you're going to pack on the grass make sure you watch your gear's exposure to the sun. UV is baaad, mmmmkay?;)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Got home tonight and grab that canopy and said "Let's dance". Did a psyco pack and got it in the bag and closed the 1st try...Not he prettiest packjob, but functional I do believe...Will continue to try different methods and hopefully by the time this thing gets semi broke in I can settle on one of them....
So a little water helps, eh...What HOLY water:P

Thanks for all the help and I will continue taking in all the info my little head will take

--------------------------------------------------

went thru the same thing with sabre190, vacum the
floor, put the dogs out and I am ready to go, well
after a 15 round KOsabre being the victor, I wanted
to cut that miserable piece of nylon in a million pieces. The amount of sweat I dripped on it should
have deleted that slippery demon substance (not)
Therefore I went with the pay for the 1st 50. It was
cheaper than the scissor thingy.

I had the same problems with my new Sabre 2 until an experienced skydiver recommended that, once I got the canopy into a cigar shape, I s-fold only the top half, put it in the bag, and then flip over and shove the bottom half right in the middle of the bag. Almost all of my openings since then have been soft and on-heading, and my pack jobs are infinitely less frustrating.

I've had good experiences packing this way for about 30 jumps. Either I'm using a good method, or I've just been lucky.

you sound lucky....i have a brand new sabre 2 arriving in 2-5days i have been told, my dealer sent me a photo today, and damn, this thing is shiny:( I think i shall sell a canopy of mine so i can pay for the pack jobs.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

When I got my new Sabre-2 I started to psychopack straight away and stuck with it since. Never had any problems, and it seems to open more consistently and on heading than with a regular propack, although it takes a bit more time (700-800ft) to open.

I planned on moving back to regular propack after I got the canopy broken in, but I just can't be bothered: don't have the patience for propacking.. ;) Never had to pay for packing and I can fit it in a rig designed for a 150: no sweat (except on a hot day B|)

And it's good fun seeing the look on people's faces when they see you roll up your canopy like a sleeping bag :D

I've never tried psyhco-packing... Seems that if you roll it up, you will be rolling your bridal connection to the inside???

If you do it right, it's on the edge of the roll. It really doesn't make a whole lot of difference once you have a bridle extension though.

-blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I have a still very slippery Pilot with 9 jumps in. Its a bit easier now than when it was new. I`ve even tried to roll with no success.... I`ve ended up with reverse bagging combined with wolmari pack. My packjob does not look perfect. It`s really hard to control the bagging :(.