turtlespeed

Young Girl Survives Plane Crash

oldwomanc6

Sailor is a very fortunate little girl. :)
Oddly, her sister, who didn't survive the crash was named Piper. :o

Why is that odd?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

Holly crap - what a sad and happy story. So brave and so lucky.

Marty Gutzler flew jumpers for Archway Skydiving Center in Sparta, IL, long ago when Dave Verner owned it. I don't think I remember him from there. A number of years ago he stopped by Vandalia, IL where Archway moved to. I talked to him for a while about the old days. When I heard about the accident I realized it was Marty and contacted Dave. It turns out Marty was a good friend of Dave's nephew in Nashville, IL. Although I did not know Marty well, the accident seems so close to me. Sailor Gutzler has a tough time ahead of her.

JohnMitchell

The plane was a Piper Seneca.

I had not previously realized the Seneca was a twin version of the Cherokee 6, and had a very interesting prototype. Some searching turned up a pic of the prototype:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

turtlespeed

Holly crap - what a sad and happy story.

So brave and so lucky.

Brave but not so lucky as smart and training, she is find way out from her padre teach her survival as skill, makes sense as padre old pilot and jump pilot too! But yes, lucky live threw crash when all others dead.

Respect to girl and padre who is teach her such good thing!

Slater
McConkey es Dios

stayhigh

Another sad thing is that, if the parent did not have proper will towards the girl, the government will take away most of the assets.

Intestate Succession in Illinois:
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/intestate-succession-illinois.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Conundrum

***I'll be damned. Thanks for the pic.

Still curious as to the cause of the crash. So many things can go wrong. [:/]

Also interested. Apparently the pilot reported engine trouble to ATC then lost contact. No prelim NTSB report yet.

I heard something about the plane going inverted . . . maybe an aileron problem?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

I heard something about the plane going inverted . . . maybe an aileron problem?

Sadly, losing one engine on a multi engine plane has caused more than a few pilots to lose control of the aircraft, although it's totally avoidable (just like most fatalities in OUR sport)[:/].

JohnMitchell

Sadly, losing one engine on a multi engine plane has caused more than a few pilots to lose control of the aircraft, although it's totally avoidable (just like most fatalities in OUR sport)[:/].

Any thoughts on what made the plane flip?

jimmytavino

it was late in the day..
maybe temps were dropping, especially at altitude. was there also precipitation happening???
it would be tough to fight off, rime ice on wings and fuselage, IF an engine was acting Up... [:/]
sad SAD situation...:(

Although I've been privy to a number of plane crashes, it's like skydiving incidents. Without the basic facts, I always have more questions than answers.