BillyVance

A new era in College Football begins

So the fact that it's now the FOUR teams that win the "popularity contest" instead of just TWO makes everything ok?
Still a load of crap.

Still the most exploitative workplace in the US.

I hear ESPN is paying around $470 million for the broadcast rights.
How much of that money are the people out on the field playing the game going to get?

Oh, yeah. I forgot. They're amateurs. They do it for the "love of the game"
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

kawisixer01

Full tuition at a major school that would cost most of us $100,000.00 or significantly more, with the real potential to make it to the big leagues and make millions isn't enough?

No, it's not. Baseball has the minor leagues, where a guy can get a paycheck and do endorsement. Colleges are making a TON of money off of these semi-pro players, but if they take a dime of it they are screwed. I feel it's maybe half a notch above being a serf.

kawisixer01

Full tuition at a major school that would cost most of us $100,000.00 or significantly more, with the real potential to make it to the big leagues and make millions isn't enough?

Well, how many of them use that full scholarship to actually get an education?
How many actually graduate with a usable degree?
How many actually make it to the NFL?

College Football is a huge money maker for the big schools. The coaches get paid millions.
The NCAA is pretty much a cartel. There's a pending lawsuit that calls them that.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lawsuit-seeks-end-ncaas-unlawful-175448180--ncaaf.html

One of the more repugnant things I've come across lately is that the NCAA retains rights to game footage forever. They are making money off selling footage from games that are decades old, and the players in the footage get...

Nothing.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I didn't post this thread for it to devolve into Speaker's Corner arguments. I posted it for discussion on games and teams and what they did, etc...

Yes I know it's not a perfect system, but its what we've got.

And holy sheeeit! I don't think anybody saw what Texas A&M did to South Carolina last night coming! :o

A sophomore QB, Kenny Hill, making his first ever start, on the road, against a team that had won 18 home games in a row, torched the poor bastards for 511 passing yards, a school record, in a 52-28 stunner. Yes, not even Johnny Manziel managed over 500 passing yards in any game.

Hell, Hill threw for more yards in the first half than Clemson QB Tahj Boyd did in three FULL games against the Gamecocks.

Oh yeah, Texas A&M's odds of winning the national title just went from 75-1 to 20-1...

Shit... Alabama's got another monster game on the schedule with these boys.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

And holy sheeeit! I don't think anybody saw what Texas A&M did to South Carolina last night coming! :o

A sophomore QB, Kenny Hill, making his first ever start, on the road, against a team that had won 18 home games in a row, torched the poor bastards for 511 passing yards, a school record, in a 52-28 stunner. Yes, not even Johnny Manziel managed over 500 passing yards in any game.

Hell, Hill threw for more yards in the first half than Clemson QB Tahj Boyd did in three FULL games against the Gamecocks.

Oh yeah, Texas A&M's odds of winning the national title just went from 75-1 to 20-1...

Says you. I always carry the faith!

I absolutely loved the coaches' interview after the game. South Carolina got smoked in every regard and they admitted it!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

And speaking of new era, I was on campus this week and holy shit f'n Kyle Field. It's a monster, it's huge and the jumbotron is reportedly being used to transmit written messages to ISS.:D

AggieDave

Says you. I always carry the faith!

I absolutely loved the coaches' interview after the game. South Carolina got smoked in every regard and they admitted it!As a LEO shouldn't you be down on the border protecting us from a the scum and terrorists coming into the country? Fuck football.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

It's a monster, it's huge and the jumbotron is reportedly being used to transmit written messages to ISS.Laugh

Well, you know how those damn Texans think.

Now, if you want to talk STADIUMS......:P

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

PLFKING

It's a monster, it's huge and the jumbotron is reportedly being used to transmit written messages to ISS.Laugh

Well, you know how those damn Texans think.

Now, if you want to talk STADIUMS......:P

Don

It is on track to be the biggest stadium in he SEC.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/5/1/4291104/texas-am-football-stadium-expansion-kyle-field

BillyVance

I didn't post this thread for it to devolve into Speaker's Corner arguments. I posted it for discussion on games and teams and what they did, etc...

Yes I know it's not a perfect system, but its what we've got.

WTF Billy?:o

There were a LOT of people that saw that coming.>:(

:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I didn't post this thread....... I posted it for discussion on games and teams and what they did, etc...

C'mon Billy......let's call a spade for what it really is. You started this post to brag on the Tide for another year. :)
Which is cool. I like people that avidly support their team year after year, through the thick and the thin.....as long as they don't devolve into Neanderthals while doing so.

(....although you've come close a few times......).:P

Don
It's a free-for-all."

PLFKING

I didn't post this thread....... I posted it for discussion on games and teams and what they did, etc...

C'mon Billy......let's call a spade for what it really is. You started this post to brag on the Tide for another year. :)
Which is cool. I like people that avidly support their team year after year, through the thick and the thin.....as long as they don't devolve into Neanderthals while doing so.

(....although you've come close a few times......).:P

Don

I just wanted to beat skymama to it. :D

Then again, after that 21-0 ass-whuppin' in the BCS title game, she hasn't had much to brag about. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hey, glad to see that your Wolverines exorcised those painful demons from the last game with Appalachian State... ;)

As for Alabama, well... clearly it's a work in progress. 5th year senior QB Blake Sims made his first start and had a solid short passing game, 24-33 for 250 yards (could have had 300 if Christion Jones hadn't dropped that wide open 50 yarder). There was a 100+ yard WR (Cooper) and two 100+ yard RBs (Yeldon and Henry). Offensive line did well except for one player, RG Leon Brown got called for holding 4 times. And true sophomore kicker Adam Griffith had a perfect day 4 of 4 in FGs with three of them from 40+ yards. True Freshman punter J.K. Scott's first ever college punt was impressive, a 62 yarder. I think the Lane Kiffin offense will be fine, but please.... I cringed every time Blake let fly a deep ball. That thing just screams "INTERCEPT ME!!" :S:D I just hope that Jacob Coker gets up to speed with the offensive playbook soon so he can play because he's got a cannon.

Defense... ugh... Gave up 365 passing yards. Bradley Sylve may be the fastest player on the team, but he got burned repeatedly by the Trickett to White connection. He did not cover worth a fuck. Maybe in some regard, having 3 defensive starters out, 2 injuries and a 1 game suspension had something to do with some of the defensive lapses. LB Depriest is our primary defensive play caller on the field, DE A'Shawn Robinson is our best lineman, and CB Eddie Jackson is our best CB.

That said, they were able to make some adjustments and shut down the Mountaineer offense in the 2nd half with a few 3 and outs. But make no mistake, play like this against Texas A&M, we are going to lose. Never mind the 100 yard kickoff return for a TD off a botched tackle... :|

Did anybody see Oklahoma State playing the Seminoles that close??? I didn't. They surprised me.

I was also hoping Wisconsin could hold on to their 24-7 lead over LSU in the 3rd quarter but damn those coon-ass bastards.... came back to win 28-24 :D

PLFKING

>>

7 beers into this case, and kickoff's still 2 1/2 hours away..................GO BLUE !!!!!

(signed) the slightly-inebriated Don

LOL Got a friend and his wife coming over for dinner tonight. He's a Michigan native and Wolverine fan. ;) We'll be cheering against Notre Dumb. :P

Although Florida Atlantic University was badly overmatched, it still feels good to shut those boys the fuck out. Especially after they said they could beat Nebraska in a rematch (they lost 55-7 last Saturday). It was 41-0 with 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter with Bama inside the 10 yard line trying to score and the game gets suspended for lightning.. then called off 15 minutes later. Both Sims and Coker had over 200 yards passing EACH. Bama had the most yards in offense since the 1969 Iron Bowl with 618, I think.

One more easy game and then we get into the meat of the schedule. But so far.... I'm liking Lane Kiffin better than Doug Nussmeier. ;)

But so far.... I'm liking Lane Kiffin better than Doug Nussmeier. Wink

You go right on thinking that.

Thhe best part of Lane Kiffin's coaching was his dad standing right behind him holding his hand. :P

I'll be watching with two other Wolverines and 7-8 Golden Domers.....have to get my obnoxious ready early just to keep up. :D

don
It's a free-for-all."

PLFKING

>>

7 beers into this case, and kickoff's still 2 1/2 hours away..................GO BLUE !!!!!

(signed) the slightly-inebriated Don

Go . . . WHO?

:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

BillyVance

Out with the BCS, in with the 4 team playoffs.

The season starts tonight.

B|

Damn . . . did you see the hit Carolina took in the Coaches Poll?:o

PLFKING

But so far.... I'm liking Lane Kiffin better than Doug Nussmeier. Wink

You go right on thinking that.

Thhe best part of Lane Kiffin's coaching was his dad standing right behind him holding his hand. :P

I'll be watching with two other Wolverines and 7-8 Golden Domers.....have to get my obnoxious ready early just to keep up. :D

don

Uhhhhh yeah... How did THAT go? :D:D:D

Oh my oh my.... the ignomy.... The Wolverines got shut out for the first time since I was a junior in high school, for fucks sake! 1984!!! :o

Yeah.....definitely wasn't our best effort.......glad I was drinking heavily. I'm a pretty mellow drunk, and, had I been sober, I'd probably be paying for a new big-screen today.

And finding new friends.:)

Don

It's a free-for-all."