mx19

Help me choose a logo Please!

mx19.......I viewed three times.
With red..... I think the "brightest" from visual point of view, but tools are not quite the best mix (will explain later).
With blue..... the "calmest or mellow, eloquent" colors (but I'm not sure if that is what you want )
With black..... My least favorite, but it is "more of bread and butter" if that is the appeal.

My initial take on tools. On first view they look very "stick-like" meaning they don't look like modern tools in design. I understand you are probably limited on choices by whatever program your using (this is just my nit-picky input). For example the hammers of today don't have a pronounced grip like the one shown. Also, what "oddly" keeps jumping out at me is the safety factor. Darn screwdrivers are dangerous in up position.....I could fall on logo and hurt myself. Your trying to appeal to a cross-section of trades I get that, but the tool mix is off to me. A corkscrew with a hammer (wino carpenter :)I hope my random babbling can help a little?
Very best of luck on your start-up!

1 is probably the best of the bunch but I still don't really like it. Maybe an updated vector pack of tools to switch out what you have for something more believable. Guys who work with those tools for a living will notice. Just like skydivers see what is wrong with skydiving inspired logos, art, ads.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I thought the 'blue collar' was a VERY sharp idea, but don't know if people would 'get it' unless you made it more obvious somehow. Maybe the "M" could be bib overalls, but younger people of today might not even know what those were. :)

Don

"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

mx19

... The app is aimed at temporary recruitment for "blue collar" workers and labour.

From those three I like the first one best. I like the idea of the site and will sign-up in case I can help.

I've done this a few times for things I've written and really like using the site - 99designs.com - to crowdsource a logo. Have you looked at them?

Something to consider is showing the logo in ALL the contexts it will be used. For example, a large logo on a web-site and a small logo used for the app of an Android/iPhone app are two very different beasts.

You might also want to make sure you have version that look good on light and dark backgrounds.

Hope your thing works out.

AlanS

***... The app is aimed at temporary recruitment for "blue collar" workers and labour.

From those three I like the first one best. I like the idea of the site and will sign-up in case I can help.

I've done this a few times for things I've written and really like using the site - 99designs.com - to crowdsource a logo. Have you looked at them?

Something to consider is showing the logo in ALL the contexts it will be used. For example, a large logo on a web-site and a small logo used for the app of an Android/iPhone app are two very different beasts.

You might also want to make sure you have version that look good on light and dark backgrounds.

Hope your thing works out.

I'd use LogoTournament over 99D. Too much clipart and copy cats on 99D.

Anyway, I'd go with the first one but make the screwdriver shorter. Having it go into the R makes it really busy and cluttered.

Conundrum

I'd use LogoTournament over 99D. Too much clipart and copy cats on 99D.

Anyway, I'd go with the first one but make the screwdriver shorter. Having it go into the R makes it really busy and cluttered.

I do agree some designers do copycat others, but in general they aren't as good as the one who originally created a design concept. One way to handle this on 99designs, is to create a blind contest. I've dealt with it by just giving that design a lower rating and sending a quick message to the designer that they should try a different concept to get a higher rating since someone else created it first.

I'm not sure why you think this is an issue for only 99designs.

This site is a summary of the top 10 crowd-sourcing sites.

http://tomuse.com/logo-design-contest/

I personally liked the subtlety of the blue collar. It is like the "E" and "X" in the fedex logo making an arrow.

Having said that, blue collar and white collar jobs don't really exist anymore. The only people I know who wear white shirts and ties to work are bankers - and everybody hates them.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.