ryoder

Lost and found - today's adventure

So I'm cycling along a 4-lane street in a nearby town, and just after passing through a traffic light, I need to weave through some auto-accident debris in the bike lane...wait a minute...one piece of debris was not like the others.

Stopped, went back and picked up a leather case about the size of a book. One compartment was open, revealing a cracked iPad mini. I opened the other compartment to find a checkbook and credit cards, and a thick white sealed envelope. I stuck the case in the trunk bag on my rear rack and continued on my ride.

About an hour later I reached the convenience store where I usually stop for a coffee break. I pulled out my phone and googled the name and city from the checkbook. I called the number that came up and got a secretary who said the guy was out for the rest of the day, but would call him and give him my number.

A minute later he called. He asked the condition of the case. I told him the iPad was cracked but functioning. He said he had just bought a new one anyway, so that was not a big deal, but asked about the envelope. He said he "needed that". We made arrangements to meet at a shopping center along my route home.

We met at the shopping center, and I gave him the case. He examined the iPad, then checked the other contents. Then he commented:

"I really appreciate your honesty, even though you had no idea what you had."

With that, he broke the seal on the envelope, pulled out a 3/8" thick stack of crisp new hundred dollar bills, and gave one to me.:o

I'll admit it was a lot easier to be honest, thinking I was just returning a broken iPad, checkbook, and credit cards.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Remster

So, have you googled the guy to find out who would be driving around with $12,000ish?

I really am curious what that pile of cash was for. He seems to be the owner of a small business, which is why I got his secretary when I googled his name. He also made the comment he had a plane to catch in two hours. I'm wondering where that plane is headed.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Remster

So, have you googled the guy to find out who would be driving around with $12,000ish?

Google "cash confiscated by police" to find out a lot of legitimate reasons people would be carrying large sums of cash.
Those people were unlucky enough to be stopped by the cops and have the cops find and keep the money.

I've traveled with several thousands of dollars in cash a few times. Going to buy a car or similarly priced item.

Good on you Ryoder. Honesty pays for itself in the end, IMO.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I did some googling and found out what kind of business he owns.
Let's just say it is the type of business that is known for hiring undocumented people.
i.e. I'm betting that was his payroll.

ryoder

I did some googling and found out what kind of business he owns.
Let's just say it is the type of business that is known for hiring undocumented people.
i.e. I'm betting that was his payroll.

Could be.

But, maybe not. Would a payroll be all in hundreds?

If the "business that is known for hiring undocumented people" is a (purely speculative guess) lawn care/landscaping business, then perhaps he was going to buy a skid steer or tractor or some piece of equipment.
Going into one of those sorts of deals with cash in hand can give the buyer an advantage.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo