kallend

Windows question

I'd like to be able to cut and paste a list of filenames and attributes from a directory as displayed by Explorer into a text document. The only way I've managed it so far is to take a screen shot and paste it as a picture, which is not what I really wanted to do.

Ideas?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

There may be directory printer freeware out there. One can normally print or send to a text file.

I have a couple ancient little programs like that, that I use if trying to get more than a simple list of file names (for which R click, Send To, Clipboard as Name is sufficient at least on older Windows versions). Hopefully the software has the right selections to be able to print all the attributes you want.

I can look at what I have if nobody else knows something offhand, or if you don't find something on Cnet / downloads.com.

You can go to a Windows terminal session, and, in the target directory, do a dir command, outputting to a file (dir > all.fil where all.fil is your target file).

Then you can edit it appropriately, which, of course, can be painful, but Excel can help you

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

There is a program that will do this, I will try to remember what it was. It was freeware, I got it from download.com.

I had to convert a handful of depreciation backup files from a local based software program, to a enterprise networked version.

I ended up with an excel file with each backup name, that I used to check off uploads as I went.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

grue

ls -la /Path/To/Directory/

oh wait, in THAT junky OS you can just do this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321379

B|

Which replies: Hmmm…we seem to be experiencing technical difficulties, but we’re working on a solution right now. Please try again later..

Which is why I asked here. :P

wmw999

You can go to a Windows terminal session, and, in the target directory, do a dir command, outputting to a file (dir > all.fil where all.fil is your target file).

Then you can edit it appropriately, which, of course, can be painful, but Excel can help you

Wendy P.

Thanks, Wendy. I'd forgotten all about the DOS commands. I thought they were discontinued sometime around WindowsNT.

kallend

***You can go to a Windows terminal session, and, in the target directory, do a dir command, outputting to a file (dir > all.fil where all.fil is your target file).

Wendy P.

Thanks, Wendy. I'd forgotten all about the DOS commands. I thought they were discontinued sometime around WindowsNT.

Command line is even bigger now in Windows OS's. GUI is being stripped out or minimized on the server side.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_PowerShell
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

wmw999

Wendy P.

You can Right Click->Mark->Paint->Right Click to skip the need for using a file as long as the print out is short enough to select.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Arvoitus

***You can go to a Windows terminal session, and, in the target directory, do a dir command, outputting to a file (dir > all.fil where all.fil is your target file).

Wendy P.

You can Right Click->Mark->Paint->Right Click to skip the need for using a file as long as the print out is short enough to select.

Thanks for the tip. Also, after the last Right Click, the white selection hi-light box will go out, but it has been copied to clipboard. Then just paste into notepad or whatever for editing, printing, etc. ...Cumbersome, but better than nothing. Not bad if you just want a list of files.