RMK

What the hell do mice eat?

A year ago the cat would go out every night and bring me home 1-2 nice dead rats every morning by the doorstep. Now that they have moved in she ignores them! Plays with a little jingly ball instead.. The dog tries to chase them but no such luck!

I think the mice bribed the cat somehow!

In my repeating traps they eat other mice... blech!

I have a trap that will catch handfuls without being reset, it works on a wind up spring mechanism.

Half the time it kills them while going through the motions, other times they all survive. If I don't get to the trap frequently the survivors will fight it out, and the last man standing eats everything in the trap.

Again, blech.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

faulknerwn

A year ago the cat would go out every night and bring me home 1-2 nice dead rats every morning by the doorstep. Now that they have moved in she ignores them! Plays with a little jingly ball instead.. The dog tries to chase them but no such luck!

I think the mice bribed the cat somehow!

Catnip dealers
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

You need to remove food sources from access (i.e. mouseproofing). It did work for us. See if you can find where the mice are nesting though, if they are in the back of a cupboard where the cat can't access and they do not feel threatened, where they are not exposed to smells of cat, they're less likely to move on. We had a mice invasion from outside coming into the lower level of our home that was not the kitchen. I had mouse droppings over my sewing table with a commission piece for a customer about 20 cm away from where I found a puddle and other nasty deposits. And more on a bookcase. They seemed to like books. Not cool. So lucky they did not chew on that commission piece...
Mice have receptors for rat and cat hormones and smells as a defence mechanism, as both rats and cats predate on them Rats have receptors for cats.
Good luck de-mousing.

Like so many have said here... peanut butter. I've trapped rats, mice and skunk with it. The big thing is, as was mentioned here... patience. Put a glob of peanut butter on your trap. Place the trap in the appropriate place (dark) and check daily. For some reason, critters like our out-buildings. We've seen no signs of mice or other varmints in our house.
I don't know if you have D-con where you live but that stuff works better than traps. Good hunting!

Chuck

Zep

For those I reserve the .17HMR and a packet of polly filler.Or a BB gun? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPntyzEbaSA
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

akarunway

For those I reserve the .17HMR and a packet of polly filler.Or a BB gun? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPntyzEbaSA

I can relate to that; When I was a kid, I was trying to catch a mouse, and the damned thing went up my pant leg. I've never pulled my pants off so fast!:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Peanut butter... but I think the better question is what wont they eat? I've even had them chew through clothing to get at a Snickers bar. One thing you can try is to clean the trap thoroughly, and don't handle the metal parts with bare fingers when you bait and set it. Wear latex or rubber gloves. A former neighbor turned into some kind of mice trappong pro after he started wearing the gloves while baiting the traps. YMMV

I used to work at a hardware store. We always suggested peanut butter on the wood spring trap. Some mice could eat all the peanut butter off and not trip the trap. If that was the case, we suggested putting a piece of jujyfruit candy firmly stuck on the little paddle of the trap. Then putting a thin film of peanut butter on the candy. The combo of smell and the hard to remove sticky candy would almost always get the mouse.

I am not fond of poison because the poisoned mouse could be eaten by other animals. Most of the newer poisons contain a desiccant to dry out the mouse so it doesn't get stinky once dead.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity