RMK

What the hell do mice eat?

Wife has seen a mouse in the kitchen. Got some mouse traps and on different nights have tried cheese (Red Leicester or Emmental); not to be fancy, it’s just what we had in the fridge. No joy. Tried some ham (Applewood smoked) – OK now I’m being fancy, but still no mouse caught.

Did Google search and see that mice like peanut butter – I didn’t know that. Tried, but still no joy.

Still getting our little visitor. I’ve used both old-school “Little Nipper” wood traps and also some new-school contraptions. Any ideas on what these damn things like to eat?
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Peanut butter is supposed to work well. I know for a fact it works with chipmunks.

The old school "wood platform/wire spring" work fairly well. The "sticky pad" glue traps work too.

Patience is key. Putting the trap on their usual traffic routes is important too. They usually travel along the baseboards.

And there's also the traditional alternative - Get a cat. :P

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

It's not what you're using is wrong.. you have a mature mouse. It knows its environment just as you know yours. You put something new in that environment and their little defensive mechanisms of avoidance kick in until that item then becomes a part of their environment long enough.

Place several in the same places and leave them alone. Even the pros will tell you to wait a week before they'll come back. Patience.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

turtlespeed

***I -always- use peanut butter. Works for me very well.

He said MICE - Not dogs.

:D:D

Maybe he mistook a rat for a chihuahua? :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Where I am (Canada) one can buy what look like traditional traps but with a big yellow plastic lever made to look like cheese.

They are intended to work without bait at all. Product info says 'no chemicals' but says 'pre baited', so I'm not sure if it is just a visual attraction or there's more to it?! [Of course, plastic is chemicals, as is arguably anything except the basic elements.]

The no-bait traps are from the common U.S. Victor brand that have the whole range of traps from traditional to pricy.

While fresh bait may work better for all I know, these have always worked fine for me, and are so convenient to set or re-set.

The fine folks at Victor also write about some of their other traps:
"Using a Q-tip, toothpick or other tool to mask your scent, bait the trap by placing peanut butter or anything high in protein like chocolate or hazelnut spread in the bait trough provided."

Sounds like the mice get all the good snack food!

RMK

Still getting our little visitor. I’ve used both old-school “Little Nipper” wood traps and also some new-school contraptions. Any ideas on what these damn things like to eat?

Usually find it's not so much what you put on it as where you put it! Find the sheltered tunnels it likes to run along, anywhere it's nibbled holes in things and out the traps in or near those, then don't move or disturb them for a few days.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

My parents had mice when they lived in a rural area, from time to time. Fresh cut apple with peanut butter spread on it often did the trick, but it also is in the placement of traps. Put the traps where the mice have been seen running. Its also possible they might have moved on if you don't see fresh evidence appearing (i.e. droppings) especially if you've removed the source of their previous food. They are opportunistic creatures and will move to where the food is.

The other thing to try is biological warfare. This is gonna sound crazy but we did it, and it does work. Find someone with a cat if you don't have one and gather some of the fur from brushing it. Handfuls is good if you have a lot of potential entry points. Place clumps along entry points into the home, like under the door to outside and inside close to access points. We had an invasion of rodents one summer where we used to live, discovered them entering our home in an area we did not normally permit our cats to access. Rodents are born hardwired to avoid felines as a matter of survival, they will generally flee rather than confront a predator. Worked so well for us that family living nearby who did not have cats came and begged for kitty fur, when they continued to have a rodent issue and we did not. Worked for them too. Worth a try if you can't install a cat into your lives.

Not sure why peanut butter wouldn't work, and I'm surprised at people saying that mice will actually avoid traps. I had an infestation a few years ago, bought classic spring-type traps and placed them here and there with no particular strategy. I caught all of the invaders within about 48 hours, but maybe British rodents are just dumber than the average mouse. These weren't sticking to the edges of the room - sometimes they were running over my feet!

I think I caught five critters altogether - it's a relatively comforting idea that you have 'a' mouse, but chances are you have several - so don't remove your traps until you haven't seen any rodent-related evidence for a while. I baited the traps with this, but I doubt there's much in it that works better than the alternatives people have suggested.

MikeJD

Not sure why peanut butter wouldn't work, and I'm surprised at people saying that mice will actually avoid traps. I had an infestation a few years ago, bought classic spring-type traps and placed them here and there with no particular strategy. I caught all of the invaders within about 48 hours, but maybe British rodents are just dumber than the average mouse. These weren't sticking to the edges of the room - sometimes they were running over my feet!

The first mouse I had, introduced himself by brazenly bolting out from under the couch I was sitting on, right across the middle of the den, and under the entertainment system. Then next morning I found turds across the kitchen counters. I still wonder how he got up there. I bought traps and put them out that day. He was in one by the next morning.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

We had mice in our DZ trailer one spring- they moved in over the winter. We started bringing our cats with us on the weekends- no more mice. We haven't had our cats out there in years and the mice still stay away. You must have a lazy cat or suicidal mice!:P