virgin-burner

any pipe-smokers around here?

I used to smoke a pipe from time to time. As someone else mentioned, don't inhale the smoke. It's got a lot more kick than cigarette smoke and you'll get all the nicotine you can handle just absorbing it through your mouth. Once you get used to it, you learn how much you can inhale without making yourself queasy.

They're a huge pain in the ass to keep clean. You'll always want to have a lot of pipe cleaners on hand, and run a couple through it after every time you use it. Otherwise they start tasting like crap pretty quickly.

You'll also need a metal tamper to tamp down the coals. The tobacco burns best when it's a bit compressed. You end up tamping it down several times during the process of smoking it. At the end, you need to scrape all the ash out of the bowl.

Speaking of which, smoking a pipe is not something that's done quickly. You're going to want to be able to spend a good half hour at it. I think I usually went somewhere between 45 minutes and an hour. I'd only smoke it a couple times a month, but probably spent more time actually smoking than a lot of cigarette smokers do.

You'll want a decent pipe too. The brand of the pipe affects the flavor of the tobacco in a significant way. Merschaum (the white bone looking ones) are pretty much the ultimate in pipes but I tended to prefer a good briar pipe. Peterson makes a nice one, too. Look to spend $100-$150 for a decent pipe.

Once you get a decent pipe, you'll need some good tobacco. You can get loose pipe tobacco by the ounce. Apple or cherry tobaccos are nice, and often got me compliments on how good it smelled. Tobacco in tins from Europe was always kind of nice, too. I'd also smoke black latikia straight and rather liked the stuff but I'm weird that way. Most people would mix it in with something else. You need to keep your tobacco moist between smoking if you don't smoke that often. You could buy little clay things that you could soak in water and then put in your tobacco that seemed to work reasonably well. An ounce of tobacco would last me a good long time.

You really do taste the tobacco a lot when you're smoking it. Once you get used to smoking a pipe, cigarettes don't taste like anything.

Pipe places usually sell pipe screens too, but I found the usually weren't worth messing with. It's not that hard to learn to not suck scorching hot coals into the back of your throat. You really have to be working the last dregs of your bowl to do that on a regular basis. Just dump them out and start a fresh bowl if you really want more smoke.

I eventually quit for two reasons. One was I just couldn't be arsed to go buy tobacco. Other one was I noticed I'd get a huge headache the day after smoking it. I never actually officially quit, but I also haven't smoked in over a decade and don't even have a pipe at the moment. Every once in a while I do still miss it, nice bowl of cherry tobacco at the end of a day is nice every so often. Just not worth the headache.

Have you considered one of those E-Cigarette things? They seem like they might have similar rituals and flavor selections, but might be less of an overall maintenance hassle than a pipe would be. You're also more likely to be able to get away with smoking one of those in public these days.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Back before college, I worked for a while in a factory with a guy who liked pipe tobacco, but didn't want to fuss with a pipe. So his solution was just to roll it up in a cigarette paper. It really was hilarious to see a manager come walking by while the guy was rolling one, and do a double-take. The guy would just smile and hold up his pouch of tobacco.:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

oldwomanc6

On a more serious note, pipe smoking is much better smelling than cigs.

Yeah. This was back in the 90's before all the public smoking laws and I could sit outside my favorite coffee shop and have some coffee and smoke my pipe. On several occasions passers-by would say they liked the smell of the smoke. I never did get any of the hate that cigarette and cigar smokers talk about.

It tastes better, too. Which is to say, it actually tastes like something. I had a cigarette a couple times with a couple of different friends and they never tasted like anything to me.

Funnily enough, one of the times I was in Romania, one of my co-workers asked me if he could try my pipe. Unfiltered Camels seemed to be the preferred choice of the group there. So I told him he could help himself but that he shouldn't inhale. So naturally he has to put his thumb over the bowl and toke the shit out of it. Then he turned green and started coughing. Heh heh heh.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I smoke both pipes and cigars on occasion- Cigars outside and pipes sometimes indoors- IF I'm not working around combustibles like sawdust, solvents, stains, or other stuff. Good tips put forth above-
FWIW- Pipe smoke doesn't seem to cling to clothing or other fabric like cigars. Both can be a resonable deterrent to having bugs flying around your face. Neither is very healthy- although my doctor says stress kills more people than tobacco and smoking tends to relieve stress somewhat- neither are likely to kill us as quickly as bad judgement.

stayhigh

Allen Carr, Easy way to quit smoking.

The book is like $7 bucks, even better go to a library it is free.

I stopped smoking really easy after 15 years.

I found this interesting review just now: http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/wellness/Quitting-Smoking-Is-Easy-When-Its-Easy.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'd suggest transitioning directly from cigs to not smoking and skip the pipe bit. Only known one pipe smoker personally (my friends father); he spent his last couple years breathing through a hole in his throat and talking using one of those voice vibrators like "Uncle Ned's" mate on South Park. Also lost Mother to lung cancer - neither had much good to say about smoking near the end.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

virgin-burner

thanks; at least some serious answers in here!

:)

No problem. I was on a pipe-smoker's forum back in the CompuServe days and picked up a lot of my pipe know-how there. It would definitely have been intimidating to try to pick all that up on my own.

I never did care for all the special merschaum handling instructions. If you want to preserve the pipe's resale value then never smoke it, but if you're going to smoke it you may as well enjoy the feel of the pipe in your hand. Mine never seemed to get discolored from me handling it. I think we're pretty much past the point of handing something like that down from generation to generation. "Hey son, have this stinky old pipe I've been smoking for the last 20 years!" Yeech...