kallend

Capturing streaming Netflix

A series I've been watching, MI-5, is being discontinued on Jan 31 (along with a bunch of others), and I still have 22 episodes to go.

Apart from a subscription service called Playlater, is there any easy way to capture the stream for watching later?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It's both actually.
You're taking property without paying for it, then, due to the way Torrent works, you're also sharing/uploading at the same time which is the copyright issue unless you already own it and make a backup copy under home copy exception.

There is also monitoring software running on your provider's network that can provide your IP address to the authorities once we receive the subpoena.

Isn't the creator of Torrent in jail now?
:P

normiss

It's both actually.
You're taking property without paying for it, then, due to the was Torrents works, you're also sharing/uploading at the same time which is the copyright issue unless you already own it and make a backup copy under home copy exception.

That is supposedly how Playlater works. It makes a copy of the stream for you (which it doesn't keep) of something for which you have already paid to stream to your home. Or so it says.

normiss

Isn't the creator of Torrent in jail now?
:P

No, he has never been in jail/prison nor has he been ever charged with anything since he hasn't broken any laws. In fact he has received multiple awards for his work on BitTorrent and since he is one of the founders of BitTorrent Inc., which oversees the development of the protocol and the client, he probably makes a pretty decent living off of BitTorrent.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

if the op has paid for watching the show, then he can record it, as if he had a vcr or tivo. the beta court case way back when said that we could record shows for watching later. were it not for this case, the vcr would have died and tivo would not exist.

edit: and to the question, there are a few browser extensions that allow the capture of streaming video, i don't know about other ways, but it shouldn't be too hard to find. i will look and check back later.

the vcr went south in favor of tivo, and neither technology, nor the op, had anything to do with torrents. the op asked how to save his purchased content to watch later. same premise as a vcr, or tivo.

Just talking out of my ass here, but Netflix is a subscription which allows you to stream content, I don't know if that extends to a third party service to record it.

I don't see how that would be any different from getting a DVD from Redbox and ripping a copy of it. Your rental covers person use, not person retention.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I've tried various methods - the simple answer is that there doesn't seem to be a straightforward way of doing it.

The tv program doesn't preload anywhere from Netflix, which makes grabbing it as a native file (or files) difficult. The best solution is to use a video capture device, but this means you physically have to play everything you want to record in realtime - not an ideal solution.

No kidding.

I realize there are no good nor easy ways to do this.
I simply replied to the stealing advice as saying it's illegal.
There is really no easy nor inexpensive way to copy streaming nor would I expect one.
VCR died due to DVD's, DVD's are dying due to streaming.

normiss

No kidding.

I realize there are no good nor easy ways to do this.
I simply replied to the stealing advice as saying it's illegal.
There is really no easy nor inexpensive way to copy streaming nor would I expect one.
VCR died due to DVD's, DVD's are dying due to streaming.

Yet SOMEONE suggested I buy the DVDs since the streaming service is disappearing on Feb 1.:P

yoink

I've tried various methods - the simple answer is that there doesn't seem to be a straightforward way of doing it.

The tv program doesn't preload anywhere from Netflix, which makes grabbing it as a native file (or files) difficult. The best solution is to use a video capture device, but this means you physically have to play everything you want to record in realtime - not an ideal solution.

I don't mind doing that - all I'm trying to do is time shift so I can watch at my convenience instead of 20 episodes in 5 days.

My understanding is that time shifting is NOT illegal, per the Beta decision.

camstudio is software that records sound and video through the computer, but it needs to be tweaked because the files can be huge. if you just want to watch them and are not too worried about super hd picture and great sound quality, you can make them smaller. there are others out there, but i have not used any of them.