strife

QZ8501 - Air Asia Flight Lost Contact.

If the pitots get iced up, why would you climb?

To "get above the weather" for one. And if you've lost a lot of your instrumentation you are going to have a powerful desire to stop the turbulence and regain visual conditions.

A zero (or decaying) airspeed indication would be reason to push the nose down to regain airspeed.

In a "normal" (i.e. steam gauge) aircraft, in flight pitot icing will initially show no change in speed. If you climb a bit, then the pressure in the pitot stays the same but the static port pressure declines, and you see an INCREASE in airspeed. If both ice over, you see no change. If the static port ices the opposite happens.

Good description here:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDQQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.faa.gov%2Fregulations_policies%2Fhandbooks_manuals%2Faviation%2Fpilot_handbook%2Fmedia%2FPHAK%2520-%2520Chapter%252007.pdf&ei=whjMVOPQBc_woASJhoLwBw&usg=AFQjCNF61R_wbJg6v6WybArDtMUuX_TI-A&sig2=DaisprYxIfvCTAvEkqn_uw&bvm=bv.85076809,d.cGU

However, in a smarter airplane, the ADIRU (the thing that reads pitot and static pressures) starts to see disagreements between the various pressure readings and the state of the airplane - so it declares a failure and ceases reporting. So suddenly the pilot has no airspeed indication. It's still fairly easy to maintain airspeed (a plane trimmed for X knots will try to maintain X knots even if you change power or perturb attitude) but at that point you have to think about it. And since the plane no longer knows how fast it is going it can't effectively prevent a stall.

Also, I'm fairly certain these aircraft both had some sort of GPSS capability that would've given them altitude and ground speed.

You have to be thinking about that; it's not immediately apparent. (And during a storm especially groundspeed may be quite different than airspeed.)

billvon

If the pitots get iced up, why would you climb?

To "get above the weather" for one. And if you've lost a lot of your instrumentation you are going to have a powerful desire to stop the turbulence and regain visual conditions.

*** A zero (or decaying) airspeed indication would be reason to push the nose down to regain airspeed.

In a "normal" (i.e. steam gauge) aircraft, in flight pitot icing will initially show no change in speed. If you climb a bit, then the pressure in the pitot stays the same but the static port pressure declines, and you see an INCREASE in airspeed. If both ice over, you see no change. If the static port ices the opposite happens.

Good description here:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDQQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.faa.gov%2Fregulations_policies%2Fhandbooks_manuals%2Faviation%2Fpilot_handbook%2Fmedia%2FPHAK%2520-%2520Chapter%252007.pdf&ei=whjMVOPQBc_woASJhoLwBw&usg=AFQjCNF61R_wbJg6v6WybArDtMUuX_TI-A&sig2=DaisprYxIfvCTAvEkqn_uw&bvm=bv.85076809,d.cGU

However, in a smarter airplane, the ADIRU (the thing that reads pitot and static pressures) starts to see disagreements between the various pressure readings and the state of the airplane - so it declares a failure and ceases reporting. So suddenly the pilot has no airspeed indication. It's still fairly easy to maintain airspeed (a plane trimmed for X knots will try to maintain X knots even if you change power or perturb attitude) but at that point you have to think about it. And since the plane no longer knows how fast it is going it can't effectively prevent a stall.

Also, I'm fairly certain these aircraft both had some sort of GPSS capability that would've given them altitude and ground speed.

You have to be thinking about that; it's not immediately apparent. (And during a storm especially groundspeed may be quite different than airspeed.)

Very nicely stated. And with all this going on without visual reference, in turbulence, the situation is well armed for pilot confusion. And at 38k feet, airspeed it crucial up there in coffin corner land.

I see plenty of reason for pilots to be confused.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

If you want to hijack a plane, you have to build the brake box,, ocs,, out center system, you also need it if you want to control what the hijackers are doing, as hrt,, means if I can ,, in this place, keep the pilots information relay in hand,, if the pilot asked for something, time plan, , would a pilot hijack, his own flight, , 911 nightmare clarifier,,space aliens , matrix , micro chip, land of Oz, supermans flight got canceled, , neo is satan,, the wrath are flying monkeys, three click s north, space natzi, leave some for me, set yourself on fire, steal his soup can,, beam me up scotty, the death star approaches, are you a flying wrath canable dart,
are the wrath from Asia, , or the ocean, why are they not called greys,, did aarco get shot in the head with satellite weapon, or the death star, or both,, do I want to check, my luggage, is my parachute in my backpack,
have I ever seen a movie, did I like the movie the avengers, , why do I hate clowns, at pool parties ,, finger painting is my best friend next to the Predators movie,, , why is that news reporter being hauled of to jail like that,, is delta force real , why do I get cold everytime the periodic table crosses my eye sight,, are we there yet,, I mean the moon,, have we been back to the moon,,, am I dracula, , can you teach a terminator robot, to swoop, or aff,, , is there a pretty mall under the ocean, does jaws live there, , and so on,,,,

Having something never beats doing (>|<)
Iam building things - Iam working on my mind- I am going to change this world - its what I came here 4- - -