keithbar

tv tech

So just before the super bowl. My 20 yo dinosaur of a big screen had a terminal malfunction[:/]. now I find myself in the market for a new television. I'm old technologically challenged and a big fan of the status quo. but it will be nice to not have both sides of the picture chopped off:$ hd 1080p is kind of a moot point since my DirecTV receiver is standard def. but I'm sure that upgrade is coming also. I know i want something in the 55" to 62" range.someone help a brother out do I want LCD LED or plasma I've seen some friends plasmas that has a really nice picture I've also heard rumors that plasma TVs don't last can anybody confirm or deny that rumor? I have looked on Craigslist and seen and seeing TVs at in that size range go anywhere from $300 to $2,000 it would seem that should be a buyers market on a lightly used big screen TVs the day after the big game should have not
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Get a decent HD 1080p TV with a few HDMI ports (figure one port per dvd player, sat/cable tuner, gaming console, roku/appletv etc) and make the move to HDMI. It's very simple to set up and much less wiring than composite.

As far as what KIND to get, well... Plasma's are HEAVY and they're falling out of the market. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387377,00.asp These guys can explain it far better than I can.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Plasma is pretty much a dead technology (more or less). You just don't find many out there anymore.

Just go to Costco, pick a size in LED, and get the Samsung in that size. Super high refresh rates are kind of silly since the feed is not that high. Stick with 1080p unless you plan to go really big and very high end, then get 4k.
Remster

Samsungs are good, LGs are good.

No matter what TV you get, the quality will never be good unless you set it up properly. The out-of-the box settings are usually pretty poor. If you're dropping a lot of cash on a new HD TV, take the time to get the most out of it and set it up properly when you get it installed.

You definitely want at least a couple of HDMI ports - more are better, and a USB port doesn't hurt either if you ever transfer stuff from your computer.
Think about where these are located - I'm a big fan of having access to them on the side of the TV. If they're tucked away around the back, is it easy to get to it, or are you wall-mounting the thing?

Many modern TVs now also come with internet connectivity, usually both wired and wireless. It's useful if you have a subscription to something like Netflix or Hulu but if that's the case, do a little research on how the applications for each TV manufacturer are rated.

I've got a Vizio and the applications and wireless networking are shite.