Rickendiver

Cirrus Ferry Flight Calif to Hawaii-Almost

airdvr

Bet he gets a nice bill.

If the pilot rumor mill is correct, the aircraft was still listed as being owned by Cirrus of Duluth, MN and was being delivered to a new customer. The other rumor was that a pump failed so the pilot couldn't transfer gas from the ferry tank to the main tank.

I've only done one ferry flight in my lifetime (one too many) but all of the setups I have seen include a manual hand pump to use as a backup.

Text with quotes from company that installed the ferry tank seem to say that it was gravity fed only. Not having.seen.any details of the system I can think of lots of issues.

Off topic I had a friend who decided to fly his 170 from Michigan to Florida non stop. Put a 55 gallon drum in the cabin on a cradle and plumbed in an electric pump to pump fuel up into l the wings. He made it there and back in one piece.:S

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

theplummeter

***Bet he gets a nice bill.

If the pilot rumor mill is correct, the aircraft was still listed as being owned by Cirrus of Duluth, MN and was being delivered to a new customer. The other rumor was that a pump failed so the pilot couldn't transfer gas from the ferry tank to the main tank.

I've only done one ferry flight in my lifetime (one too many) but all of the setups I have seen include a manual hand pump to use as a backup.

If so these systems are usually quite reliable and the same version is installed in multiple a/c types for ferry flights.

11 miles short. Too bad for a/c at least pilot OK so the net is more jobs at Cirrus and a loss for the insurer.

Phil1111

11 miles short. Too bad for a/c at least pilot OK so the net is more jobs at Cirrus and a loss for the insurer.

Missed it by that much!

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

There was a problem with one of the valves on a ferry tank. The pilot, coast guard, mechanic, and owner of the facility for which it was being ferried all worked on the problem but it was unable to be resolved. The coast guard then directed the pilot to a position where he could deploy the CAPS and be near a cruise ship for rescue. Good job all around. The plane is lost but everyone is safe.

anyone know what altitude he deployed that emergency recovery parachute at . on the video it appears after he has the parachute deployed and the door open he is still high enough to base that sucker
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

keithbar

anyone know what altitude he deployed that emergency recovery parachute at . on the video it appears after he has the parachute deployed and the door open he is still high enough to base that sucker

my thought exactly.

It looks like around 3000-4000MSL, the descent rate of a Cirrus CAPS is normally between 1000 and 1500 feet/min.

turtlespeed

***He was at about 5,000

Hell I would have jumped and tracked a while . . .

Since we're dreaming; I would have ran it out of gas circling the cruise ship, locked in the muscle memory of where the CAPS activator is, then dove at red line to within pucker distance of the waves (a "safe" distance from the boat) and pulled back up to 500'+ to pull the handle.