sundevil777

Gas tank leak - how to do a cheap fix?

wolfriverjoe

***Weld it!

LOL!
Actually, true!
I think most of the Honda's have a drain plug, drain the gas, then you can take the tank out, spray all the remaining gas out with a garden hose to get all the source of fumes out, and if you know someone who's good with a MIG welder, or can braze it with a torch and brass rod, it can be welded. After welding, you'll need to paint the welded area because when you weld it, it burns the galvanizing off and will rust easily. Then, be sure to thoroughly dry the water out of the tank, reinstall the tank, and go back to the races! I've done many of them that way!
Rat race that is! ;)

Ummm...

Unless you fill the tank with water or an inert gas of some sort (argon was mentioned above) you are risking a big fireball if you do that.

The gasoline permeates the metal. You can't wash it out.

The heat from the welding will release vapors.

That are extremely flammable.

In 32 years as a mechanic, I've never had a problem with the process I listed, but I do agree that it still smells fairly strongly, but again, I've never had a flame up or anything.

Jumpdude

******Weld it!

LOL!
Actually, true!
I think most of the Honda's have a drain plug, drain the gas, then you can take the tank out, spray all the remaining gas out with a garden hose to get all the source of fumes out, and if you know someone who's good with a MIG welder, or can braze it with a torch and brass rod, it can be welded. After welding, you'll need to paint the welded area because when you weld it, it burns the galvanizing off and will rust easily. Then, be sure to thoroughly dry the water out of the tank, reinstall the tank, and go back to the races! I've done many of them that way!
Rat race that is! ;)

Ummm...

Unless you fill the tank with water or an inert gas of some sort (argon was mentioned above) you are risking a big fireball if you do that.

The gasoline permeates the metal. You can't wash it out.

The heat from the welding will release vapors.

That are extremely flammable.

In 32 years as a mechanic, I've never had a problem with the process I listed, but I do agree that it still smells fairly strongly, but again, I've never had a flame up or anything.

Why not give this a try Flex Seal
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

Why not give this a try Flex Seal

I wouldn't think that would work with gasoline? IT would think that gas would act as a solvent and go right through that stuff.

BartsDaddy

welding a gas tank is really simple.purge it with compressed air for 15 20 minutes, then start a purge of argon and weld it up. I have done many. This is after it is removed from the car.

Your idea of ' really simple' is definitely different to mine! :D:D

Thanks everyone for the advice.

A used tank is remarkably cheap for the part, but of course expensive to get it replaced. I have a very trusted wrench turner that really knows Hondas to do it, as I no longer am inclined to do such things myself. The prospect of things busting due to long term rust is still scary as this can severely drive up the cost and time required. My engineering background designing Hondas, and even installing fuel tanks on the Accord production line does give me a good perspective on all the issues, so do not be troubled that I will not realize the implications of my situation.

Flex - seal, well that would certainly be convenient, could be easily tested (not expecting it to work).

Thanks again, I knew I could expect to get some real world, been there done that kind of experience to draw upon rather than just buying a product advertised to fix a problem.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I agree with the others about not messing with fuel tanks, but you are talking about putting $700 into a 98 Honda.

What about proseal, an aviation fuel tank sealant? I've used this stuff for the construction of 8 fuel tanks. It works. Just ensure the area is cleaned and scuffed before applying. Follow the directions to the letter, give it a solid 2 weeks to cure before filling the tank and you shouldn't have a problem.

The cost should be about $20 delivered.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/prosealant.php?clickkey=11825
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Well, having changed one myself ('89 Ford Probe), I can say it's not rocket science... Just like any repair, though, you have to be prepared for little things going wrong. If you're the kind of person who can't cope with these (lack of knowledge/experience/confidence) then don't do it but maybe try to find a friend who could help once you source the parts. Or take it to a mechanic you trust who won't charge you an arm and a leg. Or consider selling it as-is to someone who will be able to fix it. It's not a massive job if you know how - you might still get an ok price for it and you can shop around for another used car.

ETA - yes, I know an old Ford is a bad example because they are always pretty easy to work on!!
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

neflier

I agree with the others about not messing with fuel tanks, but you are talking about putting $700 into a 98 Honda.

What about proseal, an aviation fuel tank sealant? I've used this stuff for the construction of 8 fuel tanks. It works. Just ensure the area is cleaned and scuffed before applying. Follow the directions to the letter, give it a solid 2 weeks to cure before filling the tank and you shouldn't have a problem.

The cost should be about $20 delivered.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/prosealant.php?clickkey=11825

Excellent idea. You could glue baby shit to pudding with that stuff.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet. There's only one thing I know of that will repair that gas leak, it sounds silly, but it's a simple bar of soap. Soap can be forced into the leaking areas, once the soap is applied into the affected area(s) it generally 5 mins or so before the leak will stop. It generally stays there once you repair it and won't leak anymore.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Nataly

Well, having changed one myself ('89 Ford Probe), I can say it's not rocket science... Just like any repair, though, you have to be prepared for little things going wrong. If you're the kind of person who can't cope with these (lack of knowledge/experience/confidence) then don't do it but maybe try to find a friend who could help once you source the parts. Or take it to a mechanic you trust who won't charge you an arm and a leg. Or consider selling it as-is to someone who will be able to fix it. It's not a massive job if you know how - you might still get an ok price for it and you can shop around for another used car.

ETA - yes, I know an old Ford is a bad example because they are always pretty easy to work on!!

OMG .... You're a skydiver .... You're a super hot girl .... AND you work on your own car ? .... :)

Life is short ... jump often.

Just googled that. It sounds legit (at least for a short term fix). Small leaks (pinhole sized) just rub it over the hole, for larger leaks, a cone shape (whittled down and shoved in) seems to be the ticket!

For a car like the OP's, this sounds like a, do regularly, cheap fix! "Til the car just plain ole' gives up the ghost.

Wow!
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

Just googled that. It sounds legit (at least for a short term fix). Small leaks (pinhole sized) just rub it over the hole, for larger leaks, a cone shape (whittled down and shoved in) seems to be the ticket!

For a car like the OP's, this sounds like a, do regularly, cheap fix! "Til the car just plain ole' gives up the ghost.

Wow!

OP's leak is on a weld seam. It's a different kind of hole. It may or may not work.

Given the cost factor, it's certainly worth a try.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

rwieder

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet. There's only one thing I know of that will repair that gas leak, it sounds silly, but it's a simple bar of soap. Soap can be forced into the leaking areas, once the soap is applied into the affected area(s) it generally 5 mins or so before the leak will stop. It generally stays there once you repair it and won't leak anymore.

Yup!

Old school...it works!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

***I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet. There's only one thing I know of that will repair that gas leak, it sounds silly, but it's a simple bar of soap. Soap can be forced into the leaking areas, once the soap is applied into the affected area(s) it generally 5 mins or so before the leak will stop. It generally stays there once you repair it and won't leak anymore.

Yup!

Old school...it works! I have always heard that works also I don't know if it matters but for some reason I think I've heard you want to use Ivory soap I don't know why I've heard that particular brand but I know I've heard that
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

keithbar

******I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet. There's only one thing I know of that will repair that gas leak, it sounds silly, but it's a simple bar of soap. Soap can be forced into the leaking areas, once the soap is applied into the affected area(s) it generally 5 mins or so before the leak will stop. It generally stays there once you repair it and won't leak anymore.

Yup!

Old school...it works! I have always heard that works also I don't know if it matters but for some reason I think I've heard you want to use Ivory soap I don't know why I've heard that particular brand but I know I've heard that

Well, Ivory has been called the most pure soap in bar form. Plus, it floats in water.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

JohnMitchell

Well, Ivory has been called the most pure soap in bar form. Plus, it floats in water.

Gasoline dissolves soap. I don't think that will work to fix your leak. Sorry.

X2!
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

JohnMitchell

Gasoline dissolves soap. I don't think that will work to fix your leak. Sorry.

Don't know how it works..but it does.

Had an inch long gash in the bottom of the tank once a few years back, just wanted to get it home...did the bar of soap trick and it completely stopped the leak.

~ Ran it that way for a couple weeks until I could get another used fuel tank as a replacement.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

Don't know how it works..but it does.

Had an inch long gash in the bottom of the tank once a few years back, just wanted to get it home...did the bar of soap trick and it completely stopped the leak.

~ Ran it that way for a couple weeks until I could get another used fuel tank as a replacement.

Damn, voice of experience. Thanks for the tip. Nothing like experimental proof. :)