sundevil777

Gas tank leak - how to do a cheap fix?

My 98 Accord has a metal gas tank that is leaking on a small portion of the seam that runs around 1/2 way up the tank. I will of course be keeping the tank low from now on. It's about $700 to get it replaced assuming no trouble from rusted fasteners/components breaking.

I'm hoping that someone can suggest a product that can seal the leak from the outside, some goop or whatever. I've considered the clay like epoxy compounds. I would apply it with the cap off so the tank would be unpressurized.

Thanks in advance.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The "Car Talk" guys put the gas tank as the number one thing NOT to save money on, because the cost/benefit just isn't there

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've removed/installed a tank on CJ-5's and Wranglers. They have the extra complexity of a shield under the tank. It wasn't that bad; Just plan on taking a half day.

On the Wrangler I used the electric fuel pump to pump the tank empty via a rubber hose to large gasoline containers.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

wmw999

The "Car Talk" guys put the gas tank as the number one thing NOT to save money on, because the cost/benefit just isn't there

Wendy P.

I replaced the in-tank fuel pump of a Wrangler myself, resulting in the cost of the job being less than half what the dealer wanted. And that was paying list price for the pump. These days I can find discounted prices for auto/motorcycle parts online.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Clean it really good and slather it with JB Weld (get the good stuff). Give it several days to cure (a week or more would be better) before you put enough gas in to see if it holds.

Make sure you cover an area much bigger than the current leak.

Might work, might not. And no matter what happens, the rust will grow and spread beyond the patch. This will be a temporary repair. Although it might last a year or more.

I would use the 2 part 'goo' rather than the putty (clay like) stuff. It 'shmears' on better and holds better.

And if it doesn't work, then replace the tank.
Gas leaks are dangerous.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

This is the stuff that's carried on all the firetrucks in my department. Works wonders for stopping a leak onscene but I've never needed to be concerned with a longterm patch. I'd still recommend it even if just to get you by until you have the time to drop the tank and fix it properly or (as others have mentioned) just replace it.

http://www.plugndike.com/
If you can't convince them, keep them confused.

I agree with buying the part and doing the work yourself if you can.

I wouldn't be still driving my 1999 beetle if it weren't for discounted parts, and my SO plus his handy friends who don't mind working on my car for hot meals and gratitude. :$

Get a Haynes Manual and replace the tank yourself. You may need to be careful removing the fuel pump (expensive mistake if you fuck that up). Your Haynes Manual will help you step by step - read the whole process first - make sure you have everything you need before you start.

Don't do this in a closed space - d'uh.

Have some plumber's strap handy as you may not be able to reuse the rusty old piece of metal barely holding it now...

Don't skimp and reuse washers/o-rings-rubber seals.

Good luck :)

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

CSpenceFLY

Good insurance and an acetylene torch to braze it.:D

Get video if you take this route.

It would be best to use a "real" video camera with some sort of zoom lens. The wide angle on a GoPro either would be too far away to get decent footage...

Or too close to survive the fireball.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

wolfriverjoe

***Good insurance and an acetylene torch to braze it.:D

Get video if you take this route.

It would be best to use a "real" video camera with some sort of zoom lens. The wide angle on a GoPro either would be too far away to get decent footage...

Before I quit to go to college, I was a groupleader over the maintenance mechanics in a hospital.

The pharmacy kept a 55gal drum of pure ethanol in a locked closet. (In beverage terms that would be "200 proof"). Whenever they emptied the drum, they would have a new one delivered to the loading dock. Then my guys would move it down to the locked closet, swap the drums, and they would give us the empty one.

We would cut the top off the empty and use it for whatever purpose we needed. Now *my* method of cutting off the top was to fill the drum all the way to the top with water to drive out the fumes and dilute any ethanol remaining. Then dump out the water, and cut off the top with an acetylene torch.

Well, one Sunday afternoon I had to drop into to work briefly to take care of some business. As I walked into the maintenance shop, something caught my eye: A 55gal ethanol drum with the top *and* bottom both bulged outward about 3". :o Closer observation revealed an incomplete torch cut of just a few inches.

I couldn't help myself; I tracked down the maintenance guy on duty just to give him some shit.:D:D:D

He assured me he was never going to try that shortcut again.:D

wolfriverjoe

[

:D but hey the o.p. is sundevil a fireball should be right in his wheelhouse;)
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

sundevil777......just my two cents. Which ever way you go, replace the in- tank fuel pump. A replacement OEM comparable can be had for $75.00-$100.00 new. Although some manufactures claim they (fuel-pumps) are good for life of vehicle, my life's experience has been otherwise.

Happy wrenching.

Unless you're experienced in repairing a fuel tank, I'd say, bite the bullet and leave it to the 'pros'. It's nothing to screw with. Also, running your vehicle's fuel tank half full isn't good either. That fuel sloshes around in that tank while driving, starting and stopping, that fuel will find the leak. Mechanics ain't cheap then too... neither is your life!

Chuck

Weld it!

LOL!
Actually, true!
I think most of the Honda's have a drain plug, drain the gas, then you can take the tank out, spray all the remaining gas out with a garden hose to get all the source of fumes out, and if you know someone who's good with a MIG welder, or can braze it with a torch and brass rod, it can be welded. After welding, you'll need to paint the welded area because when you weld it, it burns the galvanizing off and will rust easily. Then, be sure to thoroughly dry the water out of the tank, reinstall the tank, and go back to the races! I've done many of them that way!
Rat race that is! ;)

tkhayes

you might get lucky and find a junkyard that has a gas tank for your car, - replace it. not worth the risk to yourself and others if you have a fire.

Pull-A-Part ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Jumpdude

Weld it!

LOL!
Actually, true!
I think most of the Honda's have a drain plug, drain the gas, then you can take the tank out, spray all the remaining gas out with a garden hose to get all the source of fumes out, and if you know someone who's good with a MIG welder, or can braze it with a torch and brass rod, it can be welded. After welding, you'll need to paint the welded area because when you weld it, it burns the galvanizing off and will rust easily. Then, be sure to thoroughly dry the water out of the tank, reinstall the tank, and go back to the races! I've done many of them that way!
Rat race that is! ;)

Ummm...

Unless you fill the tank with water or an inert gas of some sort (argon was mentioned above) you are risking a big fireball if you do that.

The gasoline permeates the metal. You can't wash it out.

The heat from the welding will release vapors.

That are extremely flammable.