ryoder

TransAsia Plane Crash

one article said 23 dead, 15 survivors, and 20 missing. Numbers will undoubtedly change.

It did look like the pilots deliberately went for the river to better the odds of survival. At that angle when it hit the bridge I felt sure all on board were goners. Then I wondered why there wasn't a fireball.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

verticalflyer

At least dozen out according to news and footage from the river looked like complete lossof power of aoa this aircraft barely missed pancaking the road and very lucky to have gone in shallow river.

Cool... The news-bit I saw this AM was only talking about missing... Some good news then...
Remster

JohnMitchell

I heard the pilots radioed a mayday of "engine flameout". Would that be the loss of one or both? With one, you should be able to fly but the margin of performance may be very slim. [:/]

Glad to hear there were some survivors.

Good question. It looked like the plane was flying level when it entered the video, but I do think the pilots figured the river was a better place to land, but damn! Talk about a hook turn gone bad!
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

JohnMitchell

I heard the pilots radioed a mayday of "engine flameout". Would that be the loss of one or both? With one, you should be able to fly but the margin of performance may be very slim. [:/]

The margin should not be that slim on a modern transport category aircraft. The aircraft in question was delivered last year.

At a total guess: they radioed an engine out, but the video shows both props spinning. If they failed to feather the flamed-out engine, that would explain the stall and roll.

bob.dino

The margin should not be that slim on a modern transport category aircraft. The aircraft in question was delivered last year.

At a total guess: they radioed an engine out, but the video shows both props spinning. If they failed to feather the flamed-out engine, that would explain the stall and roll.

It could be that. Improper execution of EPs. I've heard a few stories of crashed simulators by ATPs in an engine-out-on-takeoff situation. Not everyone does everything correctly every time. [:/]

JohnnyMarko

***It looks like to me like the wing shears through the top of the car.

Is that just me?

It did

Holy shit! :o That's one lucky motherfucker! Just a foot or 2 further and he'd be split open in his seat. B|

looks to me that left engine was out. that looks very much like a stall because of slow airspeed.
it also seems that the plane was still trying to climb intially with one engine out. i heard a report that they reached almost a 1000 feet.

No matter what its amazing that anyone survived this. latest i hear about 25 poeple walked a away from this horor.

Andy9o8

***It also barely missed a building or two... :S

Imagine being the driver of that van... Ho Lee Fuk!!! :D

ETA - Too early? :)

Depends. Too early to talk about Asian drivers?

Was his name Won Wing Lo?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

******It also barely missed a building or two... :S

Imagine being the driver of that van... Ho Lee Fuk!!! :D

ETA - Too early? :)

Depends. Too early to talk about Asian drivers?

Was his name Won Wing Lo?

Now you're getting it. :D

bob.dino

Fuuuuck:

https://twitter.com/FlightDKM/status/563617274230497280

#TransAsia FDR data seems to suggest right-hand engine flamed out, but then left-hand engine was shut down. #GE235

Firewall everything
Undercarriage-up
Comfirm dead engine
Kill dead engine

Mags off
Electrical off

That would explain why he wasn't able to climb though.[:/]
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message