virgin-burner

circumcision..!?

There is compelling evidence that male circumcision reduces the risk of heterosexually acquired HIV infection in men by approximately 60%. Three randomized controlled trials have shown that male circumcision provided by well trained health professionals in properly equipped settings is safe. WHO/UNAIDS recommendations emphasize that male circumcision should be considered an efficacious intervention for HIV prevention in countries and regions with heterosexual epidemics, high HIV and low male circumcision prevalence.

Where did they dig up 60% from? This is complete horse shit scare tactics.

So if two person, one who is circumcisied and one non-circumcised have sex with HIV positive person, the circumcised male has 60% less chance of acquiring the disease?
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

stayhigh

Where did they dig up 60% from? This is complete horse shit scare tactics.

So if two person, one who is circumcisied and one non-circumcised have sex with HIV positive person, the circumcised male has 60% less chance of acquiring the disease?

Obviously they should refer to a scientific study that supports this statement.

However this statement is very plausible. Circumcision will cause the skin of the glans to become thicker. This obviously does reduce the chances of blood to blood contact. Therefore I would consider this claim very plausible.

Actually the odds of HIV transmission between HIV infected person and non-infected person in vaginal sex is somewhere between 0,04% - 0,08% (on other words, the odds are somewhere between 1:1250 to 1:2500) It is very unlikely that you will get infected in normal vaginal sex anyways.

(EDIT: http://www.catie.ca/en/pif/summer-2012/putting-number-it-risk-exposure-hiv )

IMO this is irrelevant to the topic in hand. You could argue that cutting the whole penis off, would reduce the chaces by 100%. The other safe option would be to use a condom. This HIV argument supporting circumsision is one of the weakest arguments I can think of..

it is only .04 to .08 %?

How unlucky are these people contracting AIDS.

Is it all ploy by condom manufacturers to scare everyone into wearing one?

Wow, CDC says transmission rate for sharing needles are 63 to 10000 exposure.

Not ever gonna buy needles again. Must recycle.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

BMFin

***A circumcised penis is more aesthetically pleasing, IMO.

One could argue that silicone tits are more aesthetically pleasing. However, that doesnt mean parents should decide if a child is to have them or not.

Studies have shown circumcision leads to a worse sex life. More so in the mans perspective, but also in womens perspective.

http://sciencenordic.com/male-circumcision-leads-bad-sex-life

BTW. The public attorney in Finland did make a criminal case of circumcision a few years back and it went to the supreme court and was made a Precedent. The parents were accused of instigation into maltreatment, when they had a muslim doctor operate their son, even though there was no medical need for this procedure. The parents were however found not guilty in the end. Legally it is a very challenging issue.

Personally I wouldnt want to accept any sort of child genital mutilation. Be it a boy or a girl, they should be able to decide themselves once they are old enough.

I was circumcised at around the age of 8 because of phimosis and tbh I've never had a problem with my sex life. It's a bad workman who blames his tool.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

We circumcised our little boy. I am cut as well.

At the time it was not because of the "won't he be confused cuz he does not look like daddy" thing, which I consider to be bullshit [my 2.5 yr old son told me the other day that Iron Man is gonna get in a fight with Darth Vader and sang a song about it, concluding with an explanation about how I am R2D2 and he is C3PO - meaning I don't think our dicks looking a little different is gonna phase him when he has all that other stuff on his mind].

Rather it was because I felt a little gooshy about having to do all that extra manipulation of his junk for cleaning purposes and so on.

Well, fast fwd a few weeks and there I am, up to my elbows in barf, breast milk, piss and shit, having to bathe him down there ANYWAY.... and I got to thinking, "meh, would not have been that big a deal".

Net-net is that while I am not losing sleep over it, I do feel a little bit bad that I had the Dr chop off a little bit of him, over my stupid fears and squeamishness...

My vote, don't do it.

stayhigh

it is only .04 to .08 %?

How unlucky are these people contracting AIDS.

I suppose they are unlucky yes, but I would guess most transmissions came from anal sex, that has higher propability?

It is also the reason why gays were infected so much back in the day.

BMFin

I suppose they are unlucky yes, but I would guess most transmissions came from anal sex, that has higher propability?

It is also the reason why gays were infected so much back in the day.

Correct:
http://www.aidsmap.com/HIV-transmission-risk-during-anal-sex-18-times-higher-than-during-vaginal-sex/page/1446187/
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

skymama

I do feel progress is being made in America, given that many insurance plans no longer cover routine infant circumcision and that the American Academy of Pediatrics does not recommend it as medically necessary.

Could you provide a reference for that? In 2012, the Academy decided they are PRO circumcision, as is the World Health Organization.

References:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/08/27/159955340/pediatricians-decide-boys-are-better-off-circumcised-than-not

http://www.who.int/hiv/topics/malecircumcision/en/

They are absolutely pro circ

http://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/aap-press-room/Pages/Newborn-Male-Circumcision.aspx

After a comprehensive review of the scientific evidence, the American Academy of Pediatrics found the health benefits of newborn male circumcision outweigh the risks, but the benefits are not great enough to recommend universal newborn circumcision.

And, while I'm here... this statement came out when I was pregnant with our little one, and I understood it to be an improvement on the 1999 statement on circumcision. After a little digging, I've actually discovered that while the two statements are quite similar, they've written the 2012 statement in a manner that is MUCH more pro circumcision than the previous one.

So, I stand corrected. Not as much progress as I thought.

crapflinger2000

We circumcised our little boy. I am cut as well.

At the time it was not because of the "won't he be confused cuz he does not look like daddy" thing, which I consider to be bullshit [my 2.5 yr old son told me the other day that Iron Man is gonna get in a fight with Darth Vader and sang a song about it, concluding with an explanation about how I am R2D2 and he is C3PO - meaning I don't think our dicks looking a little different is gonna phase him when he has all that other stuff on his mind].

Rather it was because I felt a little gooshy about having to do all that extra manipulation of his junk for cleaning purposes and so on.

Well, fast fwd a few weeks and there I am, up to my elbows in barf, breast milk, piss and shit, having to bathe him down there ANYWAY.... and I got to thinking, "meh, would not have been that big a deal".

Net-net is that while I am not losing sleep over it, I do feel a little bit bad that I had the Dr chop off a little bit of him, over my stupid fears and squeamishness...

My vote, don't do it.

I just wanted to point this out for anyone with little experience caring for an uncircumcised boy. The foreskin should NEVER be retracted for cleaning before it does so on its own (sometime between 2 and the end of puberty). Until that time, it is fused to the head of the penis.

Eh. I've always been circumcised. Never saw that it was a big deal one way or the other. My son is circumcised. He never mentioned happiness or discontent with it.

People pierce ears on babies. Nobody seems up in arms about that.

670k people dying of malaria each year. 2,000 murdered in Nigeria last week by Boko Haram. ISIL slaughtering people because they pray wrong. I'm not going to put too much energy into whether someone else decides to get their baby circumcised.

David
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

wow, i'm quite amazed about some of the statements on here.. like, WTF!?

circumsising a boy because YOU feel weird? wow!

you were ALWAYS circumsised, so you were born that way? lol!!

shit you not, sometimes i feel like i was the only sane person on this planet, although i think i'm a little bat-shit crazy myself..

sheesh..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

davjohns

People pierce ears on babies. Nobody seems up in arms about that.

interesting - punching holes in the body of a child before they are of an age to make up their own mind about it.

I wonder how many people vehemently opposed to circumcision have no issue mutilating their daughters. Or if there's a correlation even.......

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>Circumcision is also a sanitary-promoting procedure as well. It is not uncommon for
>males who are not circumcised to encounter yeast infections...

It's not a huge factor. It is, however, a factor - which is one reason that I think it shouldn't be illegal even if I don't personally think it's a good idea overall.