promise5

What are you driving ?

Well, Vskydiver and I spent 10 days down in AZ, skydiving and visiting friends, in January, just before the Superbowl. We rented convertible Camaro and I think I had more fun that I thought I would with it. Of course, being a rental car it has GPS tracking to make sure you don't go to Mexico, etc. I got it up to 95 passing a truck one day and was afraid I'd trigger some penalties. Luckily not. :)

BillyVance

Still driving my trusty ol' 2001 Toyota Tundra at 236K miles and going strong. Goal is to reach 300K. Going where no vehicle of mine has ever gone already. B|

Going for at least 300K myself and getting close. My '99 Expedition is at 277K. Still reliable but a little weak pulling my boat up hills.

JohnMitchell

Well, Vskydiver and I spent 10 days down in AZ, skydiving and visiting friends, in January, just before the Superbowl. We rented convertible Camaro and I think I had more fun that I thought I would with it. Of course, being a rental car it has GPS tracking to make sure you don't go to Mexico, etc. I got it up to 95 passing a truck one day and was afraid I'd trigger some penalties. Luckily not. :)

Even more important than being drunk, however, is having the right car. You have to get a car that handles really well. This is extremely important, and there’s a lot of debate on this subject – about what kind of car handles best. Some say a front-engined car; some say a rear-engined car. I say a rented car. Nothing handles better than a rented car. You can go faster, turn corners sharper, and put the transmission into reverse while going forward at a higher rate of speed in a rented car than in any other kind. You can also park without looking, and can use the trunk as an ice chest. Another thing about a rented car is that it’s an all-terrain vehicle. Mud, snow, water, woods – you can take a rented car anywhere. True, you can’t always get it back – but that’s not your problem, is it?
:D
Source: http://www.heretical.com/miscella/reptile.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

GD64~

No, spring can't come soon enough !!!
Unfortunately we have long, long winters here in Northern WI....spring anywhere May to June-ish [:/]

My 1st "baby" ('90 Sportster) has been with me since I got her Xmas Eve '96.

It seems every year about now I really get the bug, so I go out to give her a cackle or 2, just to hold her & I over till its time to roll her out of the garage.

She's going in for some cosmetic surgery (new paint) & some minor surgery (gaskets, rings).

I could never retire, nor get rid of her. Besides being a gift & my 1st HD, my dad also died the night I got her.

I plan to give it to my grandson when he's able & ready...he just turned 13.

This one pictured will be my hubby's..his 1st HD, but no doubt I'll get on her one way or another. ;)

The dealership is keeping his safe & warm till we can ride it home.

I prefer solo, or along side, but will be nice to ride with him from time to time.

I just updated to a '08 1200, with only 1800 miles. :)
For now she's being kept warm in my son's heated garage in southern WI (where I bought her) till I can ride her home in a few...

We need to get a very large 'toy box' built asap..

Our garage will only house 1 of the girls...we don't want any cat fights amongst them for their own room, so they will have to share & get along !!!

BIGUN ~ ya got that right B|

BIGUN

Back in the 80's when I was in the Army, I had a Captain who drove one of these Toyota Vans: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8a/Toyota_Van_%2780s.jpg

I kid you not, he dogged the damn thing. Didn't do oil changes as frequently as required, always pushing the RPMs above normal, I'm talking everything you could do wrong to a vehicle - he did it to this thing. When he PCS'd, the thing had 312K miles on it and he loaded the family up and took off. You just can't beat a Toyota engine.

The S/O has an 11 year old Toyota 4Runner 200K+ miles and still running strong.

Yeah man, I've dogged my truck more that I should, topped out at 105mph more than enough times, tried unsuccessfully once to outrun a cop and got put in the pokey for it. :) The beast just keeps going. Regular oil changes and tire rotations and shit. Gonna need to replace the brake pads though. After that, I think it's clear sailing to 300K. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

***Back in the 80's when I was in the Army, I had a Captain who drove one of these Toyota Vans: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8a/Toyota_Van_%2780s.jpg

I kid you not, he dogged the damn thing. Didn't do oil changes as frequently as required, always pushing the RPMs above normal, I'm talking everything you could do wrong to a vehicle - he did it to this thing. When he PCS'd, the thing had 312K miles on it and he loaded the family up and took off. You just can't beat a Toyota engine.

The S/O has an 11 year old Toyota 4Runner 200K+ miles and still running strong.

Yeah man, I've dogged my truck more that I should, topped out at 105mph more than enough times, tried unsuccessfully once to outrun a cop and got put in the pokey for it. :) The beast just keeps going. Regular oil changes and tire rotations and shit. Gonna need to replace the brake pads though. After that, I think it's clear sailing to 300K. B|

Should have just told him you couldn't hear the sirens.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

ryoder

Even more important than being drunk, however, is having the right car. You have to get a car that handles really well. This is extremely important, and there’s a lot of debate on this subject – about what kind of car handles best. Some say a front-engined car; some say a rear-engined car. I say a rented car. Nothing handles better than a rented car. You can go faster, turn corners sharper, and put the transmission into reverse while going forward at a higher rate of speed in a rented car than in any other kind. You can also park without looking, and can use the trunk as an ice chest. Another thing about a rented car is that it’s an all-terrain vehicle. Mud, snow, water, woods – you can take a rented car anywhere. True, you can’t always get it back – but that’s not your problem, is it?

Reminds me of this scene from Days of Thunder :D:D:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YGn3ZyyejE
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

ryoder

***Well, Vskydiver and I spent 10 days down in AZ, skydiving and visiting friends, in January, just before the Superbowl. We rented convertible Camaro and I think I had more fun that I thought I would with it. Of course, being a rental car it has GPS tracking to make sure you don't go to Mexico, etc. I got it up to 95 passing a truck one day and was afraid I'd trigger some penalties. Luckily not. :)

ryoder......funny and sooo true :D

Ahhhh the bygone day's of renting a black and gold Hertz Shelby Mustang (no stick, but still) :ph34r:

Had to add a couple things. Spent a good dollar for this truck. Got 2 big ol dogs we take with us which is kind of the reason we went with the crew cab Well, nice leather seats so a cover was in order. Couldnt find anything we liked so tried those portable crates. THAT didnt work. Bernese Mountain Dog and a German Shepherd. Couldnt get both crates in together Sooooo, camper shell it is....
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Very nice choices in 'wheels', Twardo....
You & L'il Momma done good ;)B|

DZ truck: my fav, but of course like BIGUN, I'm biased...

ole blue: good to see someone take such good care of, & hang on to those aging, yet trustworthy & loyal...

ragtop twice: Oh my...

Moms buggy: my female idol !!!

Thanks...everything is great shape with low miles & paid for. B|

Finally reached that point in life where dependable and debt-less are more important than Bling. :)

We travel so much that I'm driving a rental 2 or 3 times a month...new is nice, but there's just something about a broke in bucket seat that fits like an old pair of jeans! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

JohnMitchell

It's almost magical...rental cars will do things YOUR car never can! LoL

Couple years ago they gave the performers new Mopars to use at an airshow...some mental midget figured giving ME a brand spankin' new, Hemi Challenger would be a good idea. :D:D

Thing needed new tires, brakes and an alignment before the first oil change!

Reminded me of the scene in the movie Bad Boys where they commandeer the Caddy...

"You know, Dan Marino should definitely buy this car. Well, not this one, 'cause I'm gonna fuck this one up. But he should definitely get one just like it!" :ph34r:;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

Finally reached that point in life where dependable and debt-less are more important than Bling. :)

I still have just the minivan hauling my gear and my ass to the DZ, and all my tools out to real estate jobs. We're traveling a bunch and working on selling our former house, so I just haven't felt like car shopping. I have the $$$ in the bank for when I get around to it, but in the meantime it's just a low priority.

Besides, Vskydiver still lets me drive her Fiat everywhere. B|

airtwardo

Thanks...everything is great shape with low miles & paid for. B|

We travel so much that I'm driving a rental 2 or 3 times a month...new is nice, but there's just something about a broke in bucket seat that fits like an old pair of jeans! ;)

Yep, I totally understand & agree with:
"finally reached that point in life where dependable and debt-less are more important than Bling " ;)

*Though I have to say, your broke in pair of jeans look good & fit you well... L'il Momma's too B|

It took us nearly 3 years to get this place finished to "this will do", doing 90% of all work ourselves, paying as we went.

We don't owe a dime on it, nor to anyone.

Now its time to get some things we put on the back burner.... though our theory:

if we can't pay for it at the time we want it, wait till we can or don't need it that bad !