airtwardo

Guess I could sell the 4 extra 'chutes ~

Phillbo

Him and Will Ferrel both feel they have to yell to act. Can't stand any movie with either of them in it.

I agree on Will Ferrell.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Well, the trailer is over the top: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl8F-8tR8to

Looks like it could work if it doesn't try to take itself too seriously. And it looks like it might not.

And Colin Firth as the badass... me likey!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

Looks like it could work if it doesn't try to take itself too seriously. And it looks like it might not.

Very much a comedy/ spoof, apparently. I wasn't inspired when I read the premise - the movie establishment's depictions of chav youth are usually embarrassingly wide of the mark - but the critics are full of praise (so far) and I'm actually quite keen to see this now. I think it'll do Firth's career good as well.

The setup made me think of Men In Black - young misfit inducted into a secret government organisation by an old hand. Some of the scenes in the trailer seem to be riffing on that too, with the weapons and gadgets racked up alongside the sharp suits and accessories.

And on top of all that, when was the last time we got to see Mark Hamill on the big screen?

-----------------------------------------------------
Edited to add:
Precious little info, but a handful of photos from the skydiving shoot here (towards the bottom of the page): http://www.infiniteskydiving.co.uk/#!filming-and-photography/c1mav.

Filming took place in England - not certain where, but possibly Langar. Let's hope they've maximised the amount of real footage used!

I see Norman Kent was involved too. B|

MikeJD

Very much a comedy/ spoof, apparently. I wasn't inspired when I read the premise - the movie establishment's depictions of chav youth are usually embarrassingly wide of the mark - but the critics are full of praise (so far) and I'm actually quite keen to see this now. I think it'll do Firth's career good as well.

The setup made me think of Men In Black - young misfit inducted into a secret government organisation by an old hand. Some of the scenes in the trailer seem to be riffing on that too, with the weapons and gadgets racked up alongside the sharp suits and accessories.

And on top of all that, when was the last time we got to see Mark Hamill on the big screen?

-----------------------------------------------------
Edited to add:
Precious little info, but a handful of photos from the skydiving shoot here (towards the bottom of the page): http://www.infiniteskydiving.co.uk/#!filming-and-photography/c1mav.

Filming took place in England - not certain where, but possibly Langar. Let's hope they've maximised the amount of real footage used!

I see Norman Kent was involved too. B|

Wait a minute, does that DZ have their own Red Epic Dragon for shooting skydiving videos?
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Arvoitus

Wait a minute, does that DZ have their own Red Epic Dragon for shooting skydiving videos?

If that camera was in everyday use, it would certainly drive up the cost of shooting your average tandem video ;).

Infinite Skydiving is an independent company rather than a DZ - they do skydiving photography for TV and cinema.

Looks like they use the RED Epic Dragon for the really high-end movie stuff.

So, the Monkey and I saw this one this afternoon. Considering the overall cartoonish nature of the movie, and the general suspension of disbelief required, the skydiving scenes weren't horrible. Not precisely accurate of course, but no sillier than the rest of the movie's stunts.

All in all it's a fun movie. B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

JohnMitchell

Good to hear. I want to see it.

I'm guessing somewhere between James Bond and Austin Powers? ;)

Yeah, with a little Get Smart and Men in Black mixed in. B|

NWFlyer

So, the Monkey and I saw this one this afternoon. Considering the overall cartoonish nature of the movie, and the general suspension of disbelief required, the skydiving scenes weren't horrible. Not precisely accurate of course, but no sillier than the rest of the movie's stunts.

Way too many disclaimers in your description for me to pay money to see it! :D
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

***So, the Monkey and I saw this one this afternoon. Considering the overall cartoonish nature of the movie, and the general suspension of disbelief required, the skydiving scenes weren't horrible. Not precisely accurate of course, but no sillier than the rest of the movie's stunts.

Fuck it. I'll just wait til it hits netflix. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

oldwomanc6

***So, the Monkey and I saw this one this afternoon. Considering the overall cartoonish nature of the movie, and the general suspension of disbelief required, the skydiving scenes weren't horrible. Not precisely accurate of course, but no sillier than the rest of the movie's stunts.

It was released in February. You're not expecting Oscar-bait quality, are ya? :P

NWFlyer

I liked it a lot, on the whole. It was certainly entertaining, although it's a little childish in parts - and it does lose its way a bit towards the end. Potential spoiler below:

The skydiving scene had a nice twist that I hadn't seen coming, and it's good to see that movie parachutes deployed on the ground still adhere to the laws of Hollywood physics!

My date enjoyed herself too, although she occasionally had to shut her eyes to avoid the worst of the ultraviolence. And the Skyvan actually looked pretty cool in its all-black paint job, and I did have the pleasure of whispering in her ear at the appropriate point: "Oh, I've jumped from that plane. It was a different colour, but it's the same plane." B|

Agreed.
Samual Jackson ruined the movie. It had potential, but every time he would appear, with stupid dialog( I mean really stupid) with his gang banger ball cap cocked sideways, ghettotalk and his yelling voice style, the movie took another nose dive interval. The fantasy parts were good, but he dragged down what could have been a good movie. The skydiving is good. That's why I saw it.

Then it ends with a girl wanting it "up her ass". Direct quote. This is not a spoiler comment, just a clue about the playwright's choice of dialog.

Samual Jackson should stick to credit card ads with his ill-fitting girlie suits with his pant legs always above his ankles.