promise5

What's your embarrassing jump story ?

wmw999

I spotted a whole DC3 load out a mile or more at Z-Hills one year :$.

Also, once I had a bad grip on someone's leg (before grippers). I pulled up, took hold with my mouth, and then re-gripped better (other had was occupied). Later the owner of the leg informed me that it wasn't just jumpsuit I was biting -- there was some hair in there too, and it hurt

The statute of limitations hasn't run out on later events.

Wendy P.

:D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I think everybody has a snot story~

Years ago jumping into Bush Stadium...hard opening caused the flag-bag to rotate up and smack me in the face. Kinda like taking a brick to the nose...got both my eyes and nose watering pretty good.

Ya try to be somewhat presentable upon landing at large venue demos, so 500 - 600 feet off the deck as I turn into the stadium...I pinched my nose to build up some back pressure & fired a quarter pounder snot rocket into my glove.

Since it was the size & consistency of a jello pudding cup, I figured it was something I really didn't wanna land with.

SO with a simple flick of the wrist, it was gone.

Looking down at the crowd below, I immediately thought EWWWW...prolly gonna land right in somebody's :D

My folks had come to watch - as I drag the gear to the sidelines and give my mom a hug, she explains to me that the camera was zoomed in and my goober show was live & in color on the jumbo-tron! B|

I shed the ole jumpsuit pretty quick and stowed the gear out of sight. :$

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Okay, thread's over. Winner -Airtwardo.

If I had been ground crew and saw that on the jumbotron, it would have taken all I could to not bust out laughing.

:D:D:D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It was my jump #30 or so. I had a long way home and as I had only learned to pull down rear risers (with a PD 210, uh-hum) I was pretty worn off and was so focused to get back to the landing zone, I did not look at the landing arrow and could have done so for at least 3 or 4 minutes. Realising I was too low for a 180 I started hollering "Ah f*ck, idiot me, outa the way, landing downwind" all kind of stuff to prevent others from running into me. Uh-hum... everybody HAD already landed which I also had not noticed.
The DZO summoned me up and we had some talk. Oh, I was so ashamed...
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

I'm not saying this was me, and I will not name the jumper that this happened to.

Imagine, if you can, you are working at a DZ, and you come down with disentary.

Then imagine doing a video, and [:/] having a really hard opening.

Shorts don't really hold all that much in at a time like that.:o

I don't think it was supposed to rain that day . . .

Let's just say that it was a very shitty landing.[:/]:P

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

I'm not saying this was me, and I will not name the jumper that this happened to.

Hope he logged it ~ Dumped High! ;)

airtwardo

***I'm not saying this was me, and I will not name the jumper that this happened to.

I think he did.:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

******I'm not saying this was me, and I will not name the jumper that this happened to.

I think he did.:ph34r:

My college roommate did the same thing...opening shock shot it up to his neck! :D

Must have washed that jumpsuit 10 times that week! ;)

skygypsie

Twardo, did Sam ever tell you about a demo jump years ago...
he was flying a flag, the weight fell off, through a barn roof, killing a cow. ? :S:$

Never thought to ask if that was on a Liberty Parachute Team / AirVenture Jump :P;)

Did he at least get to butcher the cow?:D:D

Rick

***Butt slide in a cow pasture- very shitty landing!:$ And I can't blame anyone but myself for the spot.

Same thing happened to me on a balloon jump. :$the spot wasn't yours though.:D:D

turtlespeed

******Butt slide in a cow pasture- very shitty landing!:$ And I can't blame anyone but myself for the spot.

Same thing happened to me on a balloon jump. :$the spot wasn't yours though.:D:D

no not my spot :D the pilot said "get out now" I said where are we "Lake Wales get out" :|

ETA: I just remembered after he dropped me he landed the balloon and picked up another load of my friends. They called me from "somewhere in the woods" after walking for about 20 minutes they called me back "we can hear traffic we must be close to a road". Quite the introduction to balloon jumps :o
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

skygypsie

he was flying a flag, the weight fell off, through a barn roof, killing a cow. ? :S:$

Never thought to ask if that was on a Liberty Parachute Team / AirVenture Jump :P;)

Nope...wasn't us. Our weights can't fall off! ;)

Sam is top-notch though...saw him safely land a messed up main at AirVenture a couple years ago...most would have chopped it but he put her down right where he was supposed to! B|

airtwardo

***Twardo, did Sam ever tell you about a demo jump years ago...

Nope...wasn't us. Our weights can't fall off! ;)

Sam is top-notch though...saw him safely land a messed up main at AirVenture a couple years ago...most would have chopped it but he put her down right where he was supposed to! B|
Yep, I totally agree...Sam is top notch....skydiver & friend...he's just an all around great guy !
Watching him coming in parallel to the ground with that big grin on his face, can't help but laugh with him B|

Love, love, love & miss that guy, wife Terri, brother Don (RIP)..all those peeps there, from Omro Daze (to include the L.P.T) ;)B| !

skygypsie

Damn. Worst story I'd heard was the pumpkin jump near Chicago that ended with the pumpkin punching a hole in someone's mobile home.:S

At my DZ in IN, I heard a story of someone putting out an old military drop-test dummy, (~200#), which had a malfunction and went into a neighbors yard. They waited to see if anyone came out to check; No one did; So two guys scurried over and retrieved it. They reported it left a depression in the yard.

I think I recall a mfgr in FL having a similar incident with a drop test dummy that impacted just outside the kitchen of one guys house, while his wife was standing at the kitchen counter.:o
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Wow, so many to choose from . . .

Going low on the 300-way - twice in a row?
Spotting an entire Otter demo load over a mile too far from the stands?
Forgetting my helmet during a Nationals jump?
Wearing a Peter Pan outfit for the London Bridge demo?
The bad spot for the nude jump at Rantoul in the storm? (Well, that was more funny than embarrassing)

ryoder

Damn. Worst story I'd heard was the pumpkin jump near Chicago that ended with the pumpkin punching a hole in someone's mobile home.:S

That reminds me of the pumpkin drop accuracy competition at Mullin's DZ. It wasn't the year I participated but, one of his kids (now grown) waited a tad too long to drop his. Dad thought he had already dropped it and started banking a turn over the DZ facilities at 200 feet. That's when the kid lost the pumpkin out the door. Oops. Scored a bulls eye through the bathroom building roof. If the pumpkin had a diameter of 24.5", the hole was a perfect 24.75" in diameter! Luckily no one was in the women's bathroom at impact, but one lady had just opened the door about to enter when the thing hit. Fucking pumpkin just exploded. HUGE mess. :o:D