promise5

What's your embarrassing jump story ?

Mine: After I landed one of my instructors met me and told me to wipe my nose because someone was going to take a picture, he also called me a snot monster !:S:S:S

I had bad allergies that day and it's not like I had a tissue on me or had my hands free while under canopy. :P:P:P

I really do love my instructors !!!
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

Not really embarrassing but on a similar slant, years ago I jumped when I shouldn't have, with a bit of a cold. Back on the ground my buddies go WTF! Did somebody accidentally whack you in the face? I'm like no, what? So I take my goggles off and there's blood between the lenses. This ain't going to look good. Get in the bathroom and look in the mirror. Whoa... had a nice blood splatter up my face into my hair from my nostril.

:S:D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

On my final AFF jump I really biffed the landing. Luckily the dirt was very soft and I wasn't hurt. My instructor was in the truck that came to pick me up from the student landing area and told me I had some dirt on my face so I wiped some off and he said it was better. When I got back to drop off my rig I was getting a lot of concerned looks from people. I went into the bathroom and finally saw myself in the mirror. There was a clear line where my goggles had been and everything else was totally covered in dirt. It looked like I had been off-roading on a quad all day. :$:)

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I was on borrowed gear, taking a basic canopy course when I hit a windsock post on landing. In my defence, the windsock had been ripped off for some time and all that remained was a tall thin grey post that blended in quite well with the background. Funny part was that once I got over my WTF moment, I looked up at the now bent post only to see a piece of torn, bright green nylon hanging from it. I was livid - I had just ruined my friends canopy... I think they heard the cursing from the other side of the DZ. Come to find out, the nylon on the post was the last little remnant from the windsock. Embarrassing was not just the phone call.. "Uh, yeah.. so I just took out a windsock post with your canopy".. But also the fact that they left the post out there for a while, still bent. You know what they say, if you can't be an example...

BigMike, that King Air in the background is now at Mile Hi in Longmont, but I spent several years doing air ambulance flying in it in Arizona.

My embarrassing story:

I waited anxiously until the proper number to start jumping a camera. I borrowed a friends camera a few times and later saved up reward points to get a GoPro which I finally attached to my helmet several years ago on a trip to Arizona. The first time I used it was with a guy who was trying to learn to sit and a load organizer put us together as I was by myself and he wanted someone to jump with and to get video to take back home to show the family. We briefed the jump and everything went fairly well but later I discovered that I had bumped the door rail on exit turning the camera off and then turned it back on upon landing without realizing it.

So the footage of my first jump with a camera was as follows:

1. 2 minutes of Otter climbing/people verifying the camera was on and half of our exit
2. A minute of me picking up my canopy and talking to the guy post jump
3. 28 minutes of everyone (except me) realizing the camera was on as the helmet hung on the rig rack with countless people dancing in front of it and or dry humping my helmet and giggling

I realized what had happened about the time the guy I was jumping with tried to copy it to his laptop to show his wife when he got home :o

BigMikeH77

That's funny :-)

And not only is that King Air based out of Longmont, the fatass on the ground is too.. :D I didn't know the King Air used to be an ambulance...

Both N92DV and its predecessor (N500MS) were air ambulance airplanes that retired from the company I work for when those contracts became Pilatus PC12s. I believe 500MS was geared up and totaled or sold. We used to call that airplane Five Hundred Multiple Sclerosis because it had autopilot issues ;)

And not that "blow job" you got in Eloy? ;-)

Mine was just off AFF and having a brain fart about landing with the arrow, and doing a downwind landing. Nice face-plant on that one. We get back to the loading area and JVH yells at me "WHAT THE HELL BRUCE?! I DIDN'T TEACH YOU THAT!" So I had to go demonstrate a PLF for his AFF class that day. Heh heh heh. Haven't screwed up on the arrow since then, although there have been a few times where it's done a 180 about the time I turn onto final.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Jump #15 on S/L progression, 30-second delay. I had spotted 5-6 loads successfully, but my JM's kept checking the spot after me, and I kept questioning why they felt the need to (you know how us 15-jump wonders were).....so during the dirt-dive he finally says "Okay, you're leading this parade.....go when you're ready, and I'll dive out behind you."

Afterwards, his note in my logbook under 'Distance To Target' : "Unknown -- odometer reading 4.2 miles." :$

Don

"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

I took out the Canadian flag at the Canuckian Nationals many moons ago.

They put this Yank in the stocks. Poured all kinds of crap all over my head.

I started singing O Canada. They let me out.

It actually made the Canadian nightly national news. Not much goes on up there ya know, eh.

All that hockey watching over the years finally paid off.:P

Aphid has it on youtube I think. Maybe he'll post it here for your enjoyment.:P

back in the mid 70s,, we used to make LOTS of jumps into the Finger Lakes and/or Lake Ontario..
So this one time ......... I made a water jump......No shirt, no helmet No shoes, Just a cheapo rig and cut off jeans.B|
Welll..... I MISSED the Water :o:S
Pretty Good NSTIWTIWGD story:)
Jmy
A 3914
D 12122

I was doing a demo into a minor league baseball game in the early '80s. Put the game ball inside my jumpsuit. It rotated over my left collarbone. Riser slap on opening made my left arm completely numb and useless. I could only make right turns. I aborted going into the stadium at the last minute and landed in the parking lot just outside the fence. Then I had to throw the game ball over the fence to the waiting pitcher. Is my red face still showing ????

Plus, a very young boy walking into the game with his dad witnessed my landing and said "whoa dad, that was so cool...ya think he is gonna get up". AUUGH

promise5

Mine: After I landed one of my instructors met me and told me to wipe my nose because someone was going to take a picture, he also called me a snot monster !:S:S:S

I had bad allergies that day and it's not like I had a tissue on me or had my hands free while under canopy. :P:P:P

I really do love my instructors !!!

Had sinuses dump in freefall once when I was jumping with a cold. Sunflower-yellow snot all over my goggles and in my hair. Horrifying.

That, however, is not my embarrassing jump story. That one goes to when I was at Eloy in 2005 and doing my first Skyvan jump. While walking up to the edge and leaning out to check the spot (I was first out), I lost my footing and fell out of the damned plane.
cavete terrae.

It'd take far too much time and use up far too much bandwidth to recount my embarrassing stories. It'd probably be just as fast to talk about the uneventful ones.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

an embarrassing one was our DZ.com 5 way deathstar jump in Eloy.
in the jump were IIRC
Myself
Amazon
Lostinspace
Frenchy69
jumper03 ?
and video by Greg Gasson

Despite his awesome video skills, he only managed to keep us in frame 1 second after exit. We were all over the place
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

A friend who has rather large boobs once got her chest strap hung up on the helicopter skids LOL. Poor thing took a while to pull herself up just enough to disengage and fall away. She took some good ribbings all day and week for that one. :D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Did a paid night demo into a tight rodeo arena displaying the Mexican flag,(very high roofs overhanging the arena) and landed perfectly. Thought I was so cool. The Mexican flag was because it was "Mexican Rodeo Night". After landing I held it up and displayed it, and turned around so everyone got a good look. Only later was I told I was holding it upside down.

grue

That, however, is not my embarrassing jump story. That one goes to when I was at Eloy in 2005 and doing my first Skyvan jump. While walking up to the edge and leaning out to check the spot (I was first out), I lost my footing and fell out of the damned plane.

I was a damn lemming out of a skyvan in Eloy and landed out with half the load. Still kind of embarrassed about that. Every time I don't check my spot I get burned. You'd think I'd learn...
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

I was a damn lemming out of a skyvan in Eloy and landed out with half the load. Still kind of embarrassed about that. Every time I don't check my spot I get burned. You'd think I'd learn...
So your ninja shoes dont have any ninja mojo then :D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I spotted a whole DC3 load out a mile or more at Z-Hills one year :$.

Also, once I had a bad grip on someone's leg (before grippers). I pulled up, took hold with my mouth, and then re-gripped better (other had was occupied). Later the owner of the leg informed me that it wasn't just jumpsuit I was biting -- there was some hair in there too, and it hurt

The statute of limitations hasn't run out on later events.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)