Tisket

Gear delays (vent)

Just need to vent to folks that will actually understand.

Ordered all new gear and was told my main would be completed the end of January (withholding dates and manufacturer on purpose). Here we are, over a week beyond the projected completion date and the awesome folks over at Chutingstar call the manufacturer to see when the main will be shipped and learn it hasn't even been finished yet.

No, they aren't simply running a little behind... Stuff happens, which I understand, and they had to reject an entire roll of material. The problem is that nobody bothered to tell us!>:( Seriously? How can you not even bother to tell someone who just dropped that much money on your product that you can't finish it for possibly 2 more months??

So here I am, with every other piece of a complete, brand new rig that will actually fit me sitting at Chutingstar, completely unusable.

I just want my damn gear.:(
If you can't convince them, keep them confused.

BleuCiel

I gotta ask... Do you have a brother named Tasket, and do you have a green and yellow basket?

Super common question :P
The name came from a bumper sticker on the casting wall of the haunted house I've worked for.

A tisket, a tasket, another nail in your casket.

So here I am, with every other piece of a complete, brand new rig that will actually fit me sitting at Chutingstar, completely unusable.

You're only missing the main? Of all the components to be missing from your rig, that's the simplest to find a temporary solution for. Ask around at your DZ to see if you can borrow one. See if you can get a demo (from ChutingStar maybe, or another large gear store, or from a manufacturer - maybe even the one who is building your main as a gesture of good will for the delay). Cancel the custom order and buy something out of manufacturer stock. There's lots of potential solutions for this particular short term problem.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

Ask around at your DZ to see if you can borrow one. See if you can get a demo (from ChutingStar maybe, or another large gear store, or from a manufacturer - maybe even the one who is building your main as a gesture of good will for the delay). Cancel the custom order and buy something out of manufacturer stock. There's lots of potential solutions for this particular short term problem.

We've already asked and the manufacturer doesn't have a demo I can use, it doesn't help that I'm a bigger girl on a light wingload. I have my heart set on the design I had planned and it'll match my container (I went full retard).

Besides, none of the other manufacturer's websites I've checked this afternoon have any stock in the size I need.

Tisket

***Ask around at your DZ to see if you can borrow one. See if you can get a demo (from ChutingStar maybe, or another large gear store, or from a manufacturer - maybe even the one who is building your main as a gesture of good will for the delay). Cancel the custom order and buy something out of manufacturer stock. There's lots of potential solutions for this particular short term problem.

We've already asked and the manufacturer doesn't have a demo I can use, it doesn't help that I'm a bigger girl on a light wingload. I have my heart set on the design I had planned and it'll match my container (I went full retard).

Besides, none of the other manufacturer's websites I've checked this afternoon have any stock in the size I need.

It's not horrible to up size just a bit. For until they have a demo that can be available.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Sorry to hear this, I know you were so excited to get your gear!

Turtle gave you good advice (I can't believe I said that :P). Did you only check around for only the same canopy that you ordered, or is there another one you can make-do with? I can't believe there's no manufacturer that can help you!

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I feel your pain, brah. The first time my current main exploded, it took them months to get it back to me. Fortunately a buddy of mine had purchased a... um... "Frankenrig" from a guy... um... here, I think. It came with an old F11 Raider 2 that he was afraid to jump. Funnily enough he's afraid to jump the canopy but not the rig, while I'd have been afraid to jump the rig but happily installed the canopy in my rig for a few dozen jumps until my main came back. Never did stand one up on that goddamn thing, no flare to speak of, but it got me on the ground! Other than it not having any flare and steering like a cow, it was actually a pretty decent canopy, and packed up REAL nice!

Fortunately the next time my current main exploded, they were a lot faster on it, and slapped a big-ass slider on it when they sent it back which seems to be doing a pretty good job of keeping it from exploding again. Plus my deploys look like they're happening in slow motion in my videos now! Bonus!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

skymama

Sorry to hear this, I know you were so excited to get your gear!

Turtle gave you good advice (I can't believe I said that :P). Did you only check around for only the same canopy that you ordered, or is there another one you can make-do with? I can't believe there's no manufacturer that can help you!

I've been surfing the different websites trying to figure out who else makes a 260, and what their turnaround would be if I cancelled and sent my money elsewhere. I'd just started checking stock lists and looking for demo request forms when duty called and I had to do some work.

Well, after posting my vent I was absolutely floored by a couple of you folks. After some back and forth in PM here, talking with Chutingstar, and checking fit with Wings, I'm getting to borrow a main until mine is completed. I'm not going to name them unless I'm told it's ok, but you know who you are and I can not express my thanks enough.

I can happily say that I picked up my rig, complete with borrowed main, a few hours ago. It looks epic, fits like a dream, and I can't freaking wait to go jump tomorrow.

JohnMitchell

I can happily say that I picked up my rig, complete with borrowed main, a few hours ago. It looks epic, fits like a dream, and I can't freaking wait to go jump tomorrow.

There is nothing so wonderful in our sport as having a rig you feel comfortable with. B|

. . . and the right woman to go jumping with.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

JohnMitchell

. . . and the right woman to go jumping with.:)

I'm pretty much a very lucky guy on that one. :)
Understatement of the year.:D