BillyVance

Two year old pack job

There is a similar thread here.

It's a condition called "blocking." I did some homework on it. THe results are in one of my repies to the thread referenced above.

John,

You post on that thread just about covers it.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

a few years ago in Boise we put out a test drop dummy with a reserve that had been packed and sealed for 50 years (yes, fifity!) It worked fine. Silk canopy, cotton harness/container--low speed deployment though.

"You can learn a lot from a Dummy"

This is a pretty old thread, but rather than starting a new one, I'll drag it back out.

I just received a rig from a customer who has been out of the sport for a while. His PD 160 R (manufactured in 2008) had only one repack on it before the rig was stored in a tuff box (fully packed).

So 7ish years later, we deploy the reserve. Wings container. Pilot chute shot out almost to the end of the bridle before it hit the ground. Although the fabric stayed tightly wrapped around he spring, I was surprised thus far.

I walked to the end of the lines and the reserve fell out of the free bag with a thump. Hit the floor maintaining its pack. I could have picked it up and just slid it right back in the free bag.

I shook it out and hung it up. Looks pretty good, except for being wrinkled all to hell. There is some slight color staining on the lines near the attachment points, but not super noticeable.

Since the CYPRES went in for an 8 year service (its first servicing), his canopy has some time to hang and air out. I considered sending it for a permiability test, but I don't think that will be necessary.

I don't really like doing the pull test with clamps unless the manual says specifically to do so, but I popped the fabric tight in several places and do the thumb test to look for weaknesses.

All in all, it looks great, but I think if you are going to take a break for several years, it wouldn't hurt to pull that sucker out and do a neat rigger roll on it.

Billy, I'll bet you dollars to donuts that Tri was an older one made with the discontinued Galvenor ZP material. I had a Diablo that did the same thing. That material sticks to itself after awhile.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Hi Bill

This is a old post, but I know a very handsomely dude that jumped a 10 year pack job in his main and a fresh pack job on the reserve (5 cell swift)

Terminal velocity is a wonderful thing. The main sabre one, opened marvelously. :)
R

One Jump Wonder

Krip

Hi Bill

This is a old post, but I know a very handsomely dude that jumped a 10 year pack job in his main and a fresh pack job on the reserve (5 cell swift)

Terminal velocity is a wonderful thing. The main sabre one, opened marvelously. :)
R

Now I wonder who that handsome dude was. He had to be an old fart to have a 10 year pack job and a Swift on top. :P
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

skytribe

The material PD (and others) uses will also stick to itself after long term packing.

Simple solution air the canopy , pack it up and jump it and don't leave it packed up for so long next time.

Do you have a source for this? I saw a 1996 PDR that was UPT packed in an original wonderhog. We opened up a 20 year old pack job and it was still neat and crispy like the day it was packed. Stains from the brass grommets, yes but there was absolutely no evidence of it sticking to anything.

-Michael

mjosparky

***Hi Bill

R

Now I wonder who that handsome dude was. He had to be an old fart to have a 10 year pack job and a Swift on top. :P

That sounds just like my rig (...but I'm not handsome, and certainly not an old fart!)

Do you have a source for this?

Gelvenor was a zp fabric NOT used on reserves but used on mains.

I have personally opened up at least 2 containers which have been packed up for 2 years and the PD mains were a brick - solid lump that literally had to peel apart.

The reserves were fine. Again staining from Brass Grommets I see on older reserves that may have been packed up for long periods of time.

I believe the problem is the coating used on ZP material which ends up sticking to itself when compressed long term. As this coating is not used on reserves - this is why it is not seen often on older F111 type material.

gowlerk

Billy, I'll bet you dollars to donuts that Tri was an older one made with the discontinued Galvenor ZP material. I had a Diablo that did the same thing. That material sticks to itself after awhile.

I love that material for packing. There are still a few canopies around and the material feels like it was rubbed with wax. Easiest pack in the world.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

***Billy, I'll bet you dollars to donuts that Tri was an older one made with the discontinued Galvenor ZP material. I had a Diablo that did the same thing. That material sticks to itself after awhile.

I love that material for packing. There are still a few canopies around and the material feels like it was rubbed with wax. Easiest pack in the world.

We have a couple at the DZ. I love it for the same reason. But it is a little on the bulky side. Older Triathlons, Diablos, and Hornets. All made from it. Some other less common ones too.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.