BillyVance

Two year old pack job

I had an interesting experience checking a friend's Triathlon 150 out last night. She agreed to loan it to me since she has not been jumping the past 2 years for medical reasons. Upon first glance, it looked like any recent pack job. When I pulled the line stows out and the D-bag off the canopy, I let go, and the canopy just went “THUD” on the floor. It didn’t even open out much at all, just one "S" fold came undone. Wow… It definitely looked like it had been “vacuum-packed”.

Not to worry though, I went to work pulling each cell, fold, and crease apart, little by little, until I’d gotten it fully unpacked. That took about 10 minutes. Then I checked all the lines, and got the risers straightened out. Everything looked real good. Only a little discoloration on the top skin around the bridle attachment point (probably from the metal link), and a couple of stitches seem to have come undone on the pilot chute, but that’s real easy to fix. A rigger can get that fixed in 10 seconds.

Overall, the condition of the canopy and lines are excellent. No rips, fraying, or stitches coming undone, other than the pilot chute. It has about 225 jumps on it, give or take. I will take it to my rigger when I have a chance to, just to be sure.

Of course, the highlight of the evening was that “THUD”. :D

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Aww, you destroyed a perfectly good "snivvler" by unfolding it. "Inspect it in the air" I always say.

:P

I've "inspected" a 4 month old main pack job once before (first jump in 4 months) and pulled high in anticipation of a snivel. It took 1500 feet to fully open. I dumped at 4000 feet. Good thing too.

Now this 2 year pack job just might rip the pilot chute to pieces just waiting for it to open... :S but damned if I'm going to try it, unless I have a tertiary 3rd reserve... ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

There is a similar thread here. These threads make me wonder if I should unpack my main and store it unpacked over the winter. My rig has been packed and stored in a locker for 7 months; the main is a (nearly) brand new Sabre2, no jumps.

Shoulder injuries suck. [:/]

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

a few years ago in Boise we put out a test drop dummy with a reserve that had been packed and sealed for 50 years (yes, fifity!) It worked fine. Silk canopy, cotton harness/container--low speed deployment though.

Did the "dummy" have anything to say about this? B|

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Heehee...I dont know if it was 2 years but it was at least a year in the bag...I know someone who jumped something similar...it opened...just slow as hell! Said it looked like a folgers bag ;)
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Damn, Billy, that canopy must have REALLY made a loud "thud" if you heard it!! ;)

LOL, I'll admit I didn't have my hearing aid in, but you can bet I "felt" it through the floor! :P

It didn't even bounce though, just THUD... :D

Blue Skies
Billy

i thought it was two plus years and I know it was a velocity

I dont remember how long for sure, it was a velocity, and i remember he pulled it out, and slid it back in the D bag...looked like a folgers bag :ph34r:
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

It will take much less then 2 years for a ZP canopy to "Brick" on you. I opened a Sabre that had been packed and stored in a loft for just 5 months and you could use it for a door stop. I am not sure how long it would take, if ever, to keep the thing from opening. 120 mph wind is hard to resist.

This might be a good test program for a retired old man to work on. If I come up with anything I'll post it.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

A canopy packed for a year or two really isn't that big of a deal, assuming the system hasn't been exposed to an extreme environment or damaging materiels. I've jumped a canopy that was packed for over 5 years, and several that were packed between 12-24 months...both mains and reserves.

I have zero concern about jumping a reserve (or main) that's been packed for a year and support extending the mandatory reserve repack cycle to 6 months or longer...

pms

I've had people bring in their rigs to the store to sell... "I haven't jumped it in a while, so I guess I should sell it....."

Rubber bands melted in place. Or disintegrate. Lines with a memory much, much better than mine ;), and oh yes, that peeling, pleading, prodding attempt to open the canopy. Quickly followed by a phone call for the owner to come pick up their little jem![:/]

Gear gets weird when it hasn't been jumped in years, and kept in who knows what kind of conditions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

A canopy packed for a year or two really isn't that big of a deal, assuming the system hasn't been exposed to an extreme environment or damaging materiels. I've jumped a canopy that was packed for over 5 years, and several that were packed between 12-24 months...both mains and reserves.

I have zero concern about jumping a reserve (or main) that's been packed for a year and support extending the mandatory reserve repack cycle to 6 months or longer...

pms

Pat,

I agree with you on a reserve, 1 or 2 years would not bother me, if I knew who packed it. But have you had any dealings with a ZP main that has been packed for an extended period of time. Some of the ones I have seen you could drive a nail with them and have seen the material tear when being separated. ZP seems to play by its own rules.

Sparky

Jumpers don't usually realize that legally (at least in the US) according to the FAR's main canopies have similar packing requirements to reserves. I'm not preaching or sharing an opinion, just throwing some facts out for discussion.

Sec. 105.43 - Use of single-harness, dual-parachute systems.

No person may conduct a parachute operation using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, unless that system has at least one main parachute, one approved reserve parachute, and one approved single person harness and container that are packed as follows:

(a) The main parachute must have been packed within 120 days before the date of its use of a certificated parachute rigger, the person making the next jump with that parachute, or a non-certificated person under the direct supervision of a certification parachute rigger.

Jumpers don't usually realize that legally (at least in the US) according to the FAR's main canopies have similar packing requirements to reserves. I'm not preaching or sharing an opinion, just throwing some facts out for discussion.

No person may conduct a parachute operation using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, unless that system has at least one main parachute, one approved reserve parachute, and one approved single person harness and container that are packed as follows:

(a) The main parachute must have been packed within 120 days before the date of its use of a certificated parachute rigger, the person making the next jump with that parachute, or a non-certificated person under the direct supervision of a certification parachute rigger.

The only problem with this is that for main parachutes, this FAR is basically unenforceable. It's totally dependent on the jumper being honest about the main's last pack date. I have jumped a 4 month old main pack job (my own) without a problem, but that's about as far as I would go, personally.

Any opinions?

Blue Skies
Billy

The only problem with this is that for main parachutes, this FAR is basically unenforceable. It's totally dependent on the jumper being honest about the main's last pack date. I have jumped a 4 month old main pack job (my own) without a problem, but that's about as far as I would go, personally.

Any opinions?

Blue Skies
Billy

Admitting to violating any part of the FAR's on the internet is not smart. Would you do that if you had robbed a bank?

I agree with you on a reserve, 1 or 2 years would not bother me, if I knew who packed it. But have you had any dealings with a ZP main that has been packed for an extended period of time. Some of the ones I have seen you could drive a nail with them and have seen the material tear when being separated. ZP seems to play by its own rules.

Sparky

Good point; No I really haven't dealt much with ZP that's been packed for extended time...all of it has been reserves, older gear or F-111 canopies. Might be worth getting more data on however if/when we consider extending the reserve repack cycle (even though there are not many ZP reserves). Personally, I'd like to see the reserve repack cycle go to 12 months. Works for me...

pms