yoink

Another passenger airliner crashes...

Iago

My money is on a slow cockpit decompression which kept the flight deck closed due to the pressure differential between the main cabin and the flight deck. The door opens OUT into the main cabin.

Probably difficult to prove either one with the wreckage unless they find some type of suicide note.

Um.... no.

That said, since you wanted to put money on it, put me down for $100.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>Reason why US carriers have a two person in cockpit rule.

Why do you think that? I regularly see a pilot leave the cockpit to use the bathroom on United, American, Southwest and Alaska. (And unless they snuck a third pilot on when I wasn't watching, they're starting out with two pilots.) They do warn the flight attendants to 'stand guard' when they come out to prevent someone from sneaking up on them though.

International United flights do something interesting - they put up a mesh barrier between the cockpit and the first class lavs before the pilot comes out so no one can rush him or anything. However, that wouldn't have helped here.

Iago

My money is on a slow cockpit decompression which kept the flight deck closed due to the pressure differential between the main cabin and the flight deck. The door opens OUT into the main cabin.

Probably difficult to prove either one with the wreckage unless they find some type of suicide note.

Now exactly looking good for your pet hypothesis.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/26/europe/france-germanwings-plane-crash-main/index.html

When do I collect my $100?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>I'm just wondering whether the rules of vicarious responsibility apply in this
>case and, if so, are the airline likely to find themselves looking at the wrong
>end of 149 wrongful death suits.

They have an interesting defense here - that a device that their aviation regulatory body required them to install (the cockpit lock) prevented them from saving the aircraft.

Interesting that that mandatory lock/door hardening has not prevented any hijackings that we know of, but has contributed to one.

rifleman

I'm just wondering whether the rules of vicarious responsibility apply in this case and, if so, are the airline likely to find themselves looking at the wrong end of 149 wrongful death suits.

Tough issue. On the one hand, they passengers looked to the airline. On the other hand, what the copilot apparently did wasn't exactly in the job description.

Aside: interesting question as to which law will be used. Plane departed from Spain and crashed in France. But was a German airline. Tickets purchased from many places in the world. Tickets likely had a forum selection clause. But may not be enforceable depending on where an action is brought.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

riddler

Why isn't anyone calling the co-pilot a terrorist?

Because simply killing people does not a terrorist make.

It's quite refreshing to see the news reporters actually waiting until jumping on that bandwagon for a change.

yoink

What a shitty way to commit suicide if thats true...

And here I thought people jumping in front of passenger trains, buses or deliberately going in while skydiving were some fucked up ways to off yourself.

Taking out 150+ people while you're at it though... that takes the biscuit. >:(

Yes, that puts it into the category of mass murder via "suicide attack."

If it does turn out to be certain that it was intentional, I doubt that suicide was his only intention.

yoink

It's quite refreshing to see the news reporters actually waiting until jumping on that bandwagon for a change.

Well, they kind of went too far the other way. The usual phrase was something like; "We don't know what happened yet, but we know it wasn't a terrorist bomb."

Excuse me? If you don't know what happened, then you can't rule out a bomb. Just because the debris is in a relatively small area, doesn't mean that a bomb didn't bring it down.

They may have turned out to be correct in this case, but that's still bad logic.

SunsetDive

Excuse me? If you don't know what happened, then you can't rule out a bomb.

False. Some causes can be ruled out without knowing the actual cause. Basic set theory.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Excuse me? If you don't know what happened, then you can't rule out a bomb.

False. Some causes can be ruled out without knowing the actual cause. Basic set theory.

Thanks for the breath of logic, Doc. The lack of scattered debris field rules out bombs and inflight breakups.

Suicide is a selfish, narcissistic act, IMO. So sad that he didn't consider the other 149 people who wanted to live. I've got no sorrow for him. [:/]

Iago

What a shitty way to commit suicide if thats true...

And here I thought people jumping in front of passenger trains, buses or deliberately going in while skydiving were some fucked up ways to off yourself.

Taking out 150+ people while you're at it though... that takes the biscuit. >:(

They could still hear the co-pilot breathe into the mic in the sound files and ontop of that he had to activly deny them access to the cockpit atleast every 30 seconds through the lock system, how it works can be seen in a link i posted in my previous post.

Edit: Ill correct myself - he had to deny them twice during the 8 min - once he presses "Lock" on the panel the crew cannot access the cockpit from outside for 5 min unless he opens the door.

SunsetDive

If you don't know what happened, then you can't rule out a bomb.

In the field of medicine, there is an established technique of ruling out possibilities when you don't know the cause.
It is called "Differential Diagnosis".
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

yoink

***Why isn't anyone calling the co-pilot a terrorist?

Because simply killing people does not a terrorist make.

Please. It's because he's a white non-Muslim.

riddler

Why isn't anyone calling the co-pilot a terrorist?

because it was just workplace violence.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

billvon

>Reason why US carriers have a two person in cockpit rule.

Why do you think that? I regularly see a pilot leave the cockpit to use the bathroom on United, American, Southwest and Alaska. (And unless they snuck a third pilot on when I wasn't watching, they're starting out with two pilots.) They do warn the flight attendants to 'stand guard' when they come out to prevent someone from sneaking up on them though.

International United flights do something interesting - they put up a mesh barrier between the cockpit and the first class lavs before the pilot comes out so no one can rush him or anything. However, that wouldn't have helped here.

The press is reportig that according to the Air Line Pilots Association every airline in the United States has a plan in place to guarantee there is always more than one person in the cockpit.

Sounds like the plans and procedures aren't being followed. My guess is that starting yesterday they all off a sudden became rule followers.