keithbar

foreigners chime in

so I was driving home from work the other day .and listening to a radio talk show .and they got into a debate about whether England / the UK or the British Isles however you want to put it was actually part of Europe. I have no idea my no information dumbass assumption is if you take euro dollars your part of Europe.do they only take great British pounds in England or do they take euro dollars there also?? discuss;)
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

"euro dollars"? ;)

No you cannot pay with euros in GB as they only use the british pound.
Euros or not doesnt define if a country is european, the countries that uses the euro are a part of the EMU.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_and_Monetary_Union_of_the_European_Union

A country within europe doesnt have to be in the EMU or even the EU (See Norway). A public voting within the country usually decides this.
A country can also be in the EU but not the EMU, the example i can come with from my head is Sweden.

Countries within Europe usually trade in euros with each other.

What is the EU?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union

The EMU link accually covered the EU and EMU countries pretty well i just noticed.

keithbar

England / the UK or the British Isles however you want to put it

Just to really confuse you, these are three different things ;)

Good explanation here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10

Never try to eat more than you can lift

Great Britain contains: England, Wales, and Scotland.
The United Kingdom (UK) contains: England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland.
The British Isles contains: England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and the Republic of Ireland, a separate sovereign state.

Geographically the UK is part of Europe.

Politically, the UK is part of the European Union (EU), but it is not part of the Euro (the currency).

There is a general election (~= congressional elections) due shortly. The current ruling party, the Conservatives[1], have committed to running a referendum on whether the UK stays in the EU or leaves if they win this election.

It's all very confusing.

[1] yes, I know.

And in reply to myself, the reason i mention Norway is because they decided to stay out of the EU by choise, as did Switzerland. Many of the other countries in Europe that isnt in the EU yet havent been accepted and/or dont meet the demands.

USD spend well in parts of Canada, but the 2nd amendment doesn't apply here. We'll lock you up if we catch you trying to sneak guns into our country. Does that mean we are part of the US or part of the UK? Discuss!
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

USD spend well in parts of Canada, but the 2nd amendment doesn't apply here. We'll lock you up if we catch you trying to sneak guns into our country.

The USD spends well in many parts of the globe.

Does that mean we are part of the US or part of the UK? Discuss!

That means you're part of Canada!

JohnMitchell

***USD spend well in parts of Canada, but the 2nd amendment doesn't apply here. We'll lock you up if we catch you trying to sneak guns into our country.

I'm going down to Mexico this weekend for lunch. I'll be spending USD there.
Does that mean Mexico is part of the USA as well? Why are we spending so much on border control if that's the case? :ph34r:

yoink

******USD spend well in parts of Canada, but the 2nd amendment doesn't apply here. We'll lock you up if we catch you trying to sneak guns into our country.

I'm going down to Mexico this weekend for lunch. I'll be spending USD there.
Does that mean Mexico is part of the USA as well? Why are we spending so much on border control if that's the case? :ph34r:

Well, part of the USA used to belong to Mexico.:ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Why are we spending so much on border control if that's the case? :ph34r:

Well my guess would be we're paranoid of everyone, and we're suspicious of everything! It would be nice to have a commander and chief with a spine. O-Bama is a joke. I was watching a news program last evening that told a story of his shocked and dazed reaction. If I run across the clip I'll add it to this thread.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

rwieder

Well my guess would be we're paranoid of everyone, and we're suspicious of everything! It would be nice to have a commander and chief with a spine. O-Bama is a joke. I was watching a news program last evening that told a story of his shocked and dazed reaction. If I run across the clip I'll add it to this thread.

Would you mind some real information here or will you bust my chops for trying to get you beyond the FAUX NEWS soundbite world.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2014/04/21/lies-damned-lies-and-obamas-deportation-statistics/

Amazon

Would you mind some real information here or will you bust my chops for trying to get you beyond the FAUX NEWS soundbite world.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2014/04/21/lies-damned-lies-and-obamas-deportation-statistics/Spot on. The politicians web of lies. SC 321 CYA.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

well it was just idle curiosity on my part. heard it on the radio and was just curious if there was an actual geographical boundary that constituted Europe I guess the consensus from the replies is that it's all about politics and not about geography at all. who'd of thunk it ? but what do i know I'm just a dumb American after all:P

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I have no idea my no information dumbass assumption is if you take euro dollars your part of Europe.do they only take great British pounds in England or do they take euro dollars there also??

LOL, WTF is a euro dollar?:D

I might start printing some and see if I can get any accepted anywhere:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

I have no idea my no information dumbass assumption is if you take euro dollars your part of Europe.do they only take great British pounds in England or do they take euro dollars there also??

LOL, WTF is a euro dollar?:D

I might start printing some and see if I can get any accepted anywhere:P

Good luck with that one. :D

They are either Dollars OR Euros.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Originally, "Europe" defined the continental land mass (and near shore islands) bounded on the west by the Atlantic Ocean, on the North by the Arctic Ocean, on the East by the Ural Mountains and to the South by the Mediterranean Ocean.
Geographically, Europe contains the following countries: Norway, Sweden, Finnland, Russia, Belarus, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Moldova, Trans-Dneister, Ukraine, Azerbyjan (sp?), Kazakstan, Bulgaria, Rumania, Hungary, the western-most part of Turkey, Greece, Albania, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Croatia, , Slovenia, Slovakia, Austria, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Andorra, Italy, Vatican City, France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, the. Netherlands, England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales.
The Mediterranean island of Malta is closer to North Africa than Europe, but is generally considered European.
I am not too clear on the eastern borders of Europe. The continent probably includes Georgia and Chechnia, but I am not sure about the smaller Caucasian countries like Ossetia, etc.
I am also not sure about Iceland because while it is a long way out in the North Atlantic Ocean, all Icelanders are descended from Scandinavians (mostly Norwegian.)
Did I mention them all?

Politically, far fewer countries have joined the European Union (old name: European Common Market) and even fewer trade with the "Euro" coin. Given the economic instability of some Eastern European nations (Greece cough! Cough!), Great Britain was not to buy into the "Euro."

BillyVance

Trans-Dneister

That's one I haven't heard of. What country did it split off from?

Trans-Dniester split off from the former Soviet Republic of Moldova. Most of Moldova speaks Rumanian (a Latin language) and most of the country is on the Western bank of the Dniester River.
However, a small percentage of Moldovans speak Russian. Most Russian-speaking Moldovans live on the narrow, Eastern bank of the Dniester River. Circa 1990, Trans-Dniester declared itself a separate country. I don't know if any other country ever traded ambassadors with Trans-Dniester ????

From your list, the non-EU members:
Norway
Switzerland
Russia
Belarus
Moldova
Trans-Dneister
Ukraine
Azerbyjan (sp?)
Kazakstan
Albania

...and the EU members:
Sweden
Finland
Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania
Poland
Bulgaria
Romania
Hungary
Greece
Croatia
Austria
Slovakia
Lichtenstein
Luxembourg
Monaco
Andorra
Italy
Vatican City
France
Spain
Portugal
Belgium
Netherlands
Scotland
England
Ireland
Wales
Malta
Slovenia

The following countries have submitted membership applications, but are not there yet (and in Turkey's case, may never be):
Macedonia
Montenegro
Serbia
the western-most part of Turkey

Politically, far fewer countries have joined the European Union (old name: European Common Market)...

So I disagree with your statement above. The only two countries in your list that would be eligible to join the EU that have not made an attempt to do so are Switzerland and Norway.

Russia invaded the Ukraine over the Ukranian goverments attempt to sign a free-trade agreement with the EU, and dictatorships aren't allowed to join.

So I disagree with your statement above. The only two countries in your list that would be eligible to join the EU that have not made an attempt to do so are Switzerland and Norway.

And that is effectively a name only situation as they are signatories to most EU conventions are part of the European market and have open borders with regards to travel within the EU. On tht note you could almost say they're more committed to the EU than the UK and Ireland, both of which have opted out of the Schengen Area.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?