StreetScooby

Anyone else tired of Firefox?

StreetScooby

Thing hangs up constantly on me now. Anyone else having this problem?

i think there is a constant battle going on between those of use who would like to have some small amount of control over our computers and the companies like Google who want cookies on everything and track our every move both for the government and for business.

In recent weeks, I've noticed that most of my traditional efforts to limit cookies and ad trackers results in significantly slower performance no matter what browser I use except for Google Chrome.

Hmmm...

Other extreme, I think, is Facebook. Try using that and limiting cookies and ads. It's almost unusable. They're all up in our data.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***Thing hangs up constantly on me now. Anyone else having this problem?

i think there is a constant battle going on between those of use who would like to have some small amount of control over our computers and the companies like Google who want cookies on everything and track our every move both for the government and for business.

In recent weeks, I've noticed that most of my traditional efforts to limit cookies and ad trackers results in significantly slower performance no matter what browser I use except for Google Chrome.

Hmmm...

Other extreme, I think, is Facebook. Try using that and limiting cookies and ads. It's almost unusable. They're all up in our data.

Extensions to delete the goddamned cookies after you leave the page:
For Chrome: "Tab Cookies".
For Firefox: "Self Destructing Cookies".
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

For Firefox: "Self Destructing Cookies".

Nice! And done. Thanks for the tip
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

ryoder

Chrome, to prevent the saving of cookies in the first place, and don't have to use 3rd-party software:
- Click the three horizontal bars in the upper right corner.
- Settings
- Show advanced settings
- Under "Privacy", Content Settings
- See "Cookies".

There are several strategies you can use. For example:
1) Block all cookies, and then put the web site names you want to allow cookies under "Exceptions".
2) Allow cookies, but under "Exceptions" list all the web sites you don't want to set cookies.

You can also use the "Images" section to block a lot of annoying advertisement images.

Chrysopelea

Chrome, to prevent the saving of cookies in the first place, and don't have to use 3rd-party software:
- Settings
- Show advanced settings
- See "Cookies".

1) Block all cookies, and then put the web site names you want to allow cookies under "Exceptions".
2) Allow cookies, but under "Exceptions" list all the web sites you don't want to set cookies.

I want to allow all cookies then dump after I leave the page.
There is no such option there.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

- Settings
- Show advanced settings
- See "Cookies".

I want to allow all cookies then dump after I leave the page.
There is no such option there.

Under Content Settings and Cookies, see "Keep local data until you quit your browser".
Under Manage Exceptions, see Behavior option "Clear on exit".

I was very tred of Firefox - till they forced me to use Chrome at work.

StreetScooby

Thing hangs up constantly on me now. Anyone else having this problem?

That happens to me too occasionally, when Firefox needs an update but for some reason cannot auto-update.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom