jclalor

California Marijuana and Nursing

Dunno about California, but in Colorado your employer can fire you at any time for any reason. Last I heard there was a case percolating through the courts where EchoStar fired some guy for testing positive for marijuana. The guy apparently had a medical card and was using it to control pain from a spine injury or some such. I'm pretty sure the court will rule in EchoStar's favor, but I just view that as one more reason in a long list of reasons to not work for EchoStar.

I'm also pretty sure an employer can demand that its employees not smoke tobacco or drink alcohol and fire them for that if they catch them at it. They might have difficulty finding employees with policies like that, but I bet their health plan would be cheap as hell.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I haven't seen anyone be able to tell people they can't do a legal activity in their off time. Smoke on the job? Sure they can ban it. Smoke at home? Insurance rates are discounted for non-smokers in all of my experience. Alcohol clears fast enough to be able to be sober (within some definition) for work. Group life insurance may not pay out for skydiving, motorcycle racing, etc. Still get to work, just pay for or exclude benefits.

Pot... Not legal at federal level so still breaking the law. (yet to be adjudicated AFAIK states rights vs feds) Doesn't clear so even passive contact measurable at work. Got to believe firing for pot would be upheld because of continued presence in body, let alone illegal activity.

Of course it all becomes moot in an 'at will' state where you can be fired for any reason that doesn't include a protected class. Or in the case of employment contracts that expressly state the requirements of employment.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

When I was in EMS training a year ago, a drug test was required which included screening for marijuana, even though this is Colorado.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

councilman24

I haven't seen anyone be able to tell people they can't do a legal activity in their off time. Smoke on the job? Sure they can ban it. Smoke at home? Insurance rates are discounted for non-smokers in all of my experience. Alcohol clears fast enough to be able to be sober (within some definition) for work. Group life insurance may not pay out for skydiving, motorcycle racing, etc. Still get to work, just pay for or exclude benefits...

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/feb/19/opinion/op-robinson19
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I stand corrected, but would like to see it litigated. I'm not a smoker, don't like to be around smokers, but have trouble believing this would make it through a court challenge. But no ACLU for smokers. Michigan is an at will state and they may be hiding behind that.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hi Terry,

Smoke on the job? Sure they can ban it. Smoke at home? Insurance rates are discounted for non-smokers in all of my experience.

Back when I was still a fed, I worked with a company called Southwire of Carrollton, GA. They had a policy of not hiring any smoker. They also had a policy of requiring current employees who were smokers to enter a stop-smoking plan.

http://www.southwire.com/ourcompany.htm

Southwire did not provide medical insurance for their employees. They had an in-house medical plan. They had doctors & nurses in their employe for their employees. They also had contracts with local hospitals for in-patient service.

Or in the case of employment contracts that expressly state the requirements of employment.

It is becoming a 'buyers market' for the employer. IMO you will see more & more of these contracts in the future.

Just my $0.02 on this,

Jerry Baumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi Terry,

Smoke on the job? Sure they can ban it. Smoke at home? Insurance rates are discounted for non-smokers in all of my experience.

Back when I was still a fed, I worked with a company called Southwire of Carrollton, GA. They had a policy of not hiring any smoker. They also had a policy of requiring current employees who were smokers to enter a stop-smoking plan.

http://www.southwire.com/ourcompany.htm

Southwire did not provide medical insurance for their employees. They had an in-house medical plan. They had doctors & nurses in their employe for their employees. They also had contracts with local hospitals for in-patient service.

***Or in the case of employment contracts that expressly state the requirements of employment.

It is becoming a 'buyers market' for the employer. IMO you will see more & more of these contracts in the future.

Just my $0.02 on this,

Jerry Baumchen

Obesity drives more medical costs then tobacco/nicotine. The Fatties may be the next target! Are they a "Protected Class"?
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

stayhigh

No.

Maybe Yes, within 20 years.

How often do you get tested? What method? Can you keep fake pee in your locker or something and have access to it when it is time to go?

I went 12 years without smoking pot... Then I turned 13.

Actually, they don't test at my work, I haven't smoked since I got into nursing 13 years ago. I was wondering more about the nursing board and licensure, their pretty draconian.

And FWIW, before I was in nursing, I did some subcontracting work for West Marine, they did not allow employees to smoke at any time.

ryoder

When I was in EMS training a year ago, a drug test was required which included screening for marijuana, even though this is Colorado.

Its SOP here for many companies to drug and alcohol test.
Which is fair enough. they dont employ you to be impaired whilst at work. and that includes residual effects.
They employ you to be at your best, to do the job to the best of your ability.
There's far to many lazy irresponsible fucks out there already WEED them out I say.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak

***When I was in EMS training a year ago, a drug test was required which included screening for marijuana, even though this is Colorado.

Which is fair enough. they dont employ you to be impaired whilst at work. and that includes residual effects.
There's far to many lazy irresponsible fucks out there al ready WEED them out I say.

If they were seriously concerned about health, they would screen for the drug that causes the most death and disease (tobacco), and the most physically and mentally debilitating drug (alcohol). Current screening is just a witchhunt.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

******When I was in EMS training a year ago, a drug test was required which included screening for marijuana, even though this is Colorado.

There's far to many lazy irresponsible fucks out there al ready WEED them out I say.

If they were seriously concerned about health, they would screen for the drug that causes the most death and disease (tobacco), and the most physically and mentally debilitating drug (alcohol). Current screening is just a witchhunt.

We do here (booze not tobacco).
On many of our sites it's a single strike rule. You test over the limit, and you are out the door.
Should be a lot more of it IMO.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

when i ran a crew building houses, i hired a guy because he brought weed to work and smoked with us. that was his main responsibility, and picking up things. drug tests are an awful invasion of my privacy and should never have been allowed to happen. if an employer asked me not to get high at work, that is no problem. ask me not to get high at home, after work, big problem. i can smoke all night long, get up and perform flawlessly. try that with alcohol.

sfzombie13

when i ran a crew building houses, i hired a guy because he brought weed to work and smoked with us. that was his main responsibility, and picking up things. drug tests are an awful invasion of my privacy and should never have been allowed to happen. if an employer asked me not to get high at work, that is no problem. ask me not to get high at home, after work, big problem. i can smoke all night long, get up and perform flawlessly. try that with alcohol.

BULLSHIT.
You just think you can
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

normiss

I'd take a pot head co-worker over an alcoholic every day.
Functional alcoholics aren't.
I've had some horrible work incidents with drunks.
I should have sued for one of them, but it was just a crazy drunk bitch.

Indeed!
I've been so scared in a car driven by a drunk that I wanted to jump out, but we were doing 80mph down the main street of a small town, and that didn't seem like a viable option.:S

Biggest problem with a pot-smoker driving was typically:
Him (with look of worry): "Why are those cars following us???"
Me: "Uh, because you are driving 35mph in a 50mph zone.":P

ryoder

***I'd take a pot head co-worker over an alcoholic every day.
Functional alcoholics aren't.
I've had some horrible work incidents with drunks.
I should have sued for one of them, but it was just a crazy drunk bitch.

Indeed!
I've been so scared in a car driven by a drunk that I wanted to jump out, but we were doing 80mph down the main street of a small town, and that didn't seem like a viable option.:S

Biggest problem with a pot-smoker driving was typically:
Him (with look of worry): "Why are those cars following us???"
Me: "Uh, because you are driving 35mph in a 50mph zone.":P

Why are you both not advocating for NEITHER retard.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

first of all, that is just rude. second, i can prove it, and in fact, have proved it by performing all of my tasks; i write a bi-weekly article for a newspaper, currently am enrolled in 18 hours of college for my bachelors, work full time, maintain the iso database at linuxquestions.org, volunteer with a local youth group, attend security conventions and somehow find the time to camp and fish. with the exception of the fishing, i perform all of the actions at least 'good', and am striving for great, but that is a little hard while juggling so much. and i get high every day, sometimes several times a day. so screw you, you have no idea what you are talking about.

sfzombie13

first of all, that is just rude. second, i can prove it, and in fact, have proved it by performing all of my tasks; i write a bi-weekly article for a newspaper, currently am enrolled in 18 hours of college for my bachelors, work full time, maintain the iso database at linuxquestions.org, volunteer with a local youth group, attend security conventions and somehow find the time to camp and fish. with the exception of the fishing, i perform all of the actions at least 'good', and am striving for great, but that is a little hard while juggling so much. and i get high every day, sometimes several times a day. so screw you, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Bit overly defensive there stoner boy:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
Have a doob and chillax bru.
Oh, and try try NOT be an influence on the youth you volunteer for.:S:S:S:S
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

it's not called being defensive, i get ticked off when people use the term retard. it hits a little close to home, let's just leave it at that. you obviously have an opinion, and that is ok, just as it is ok to be wrong, as you clearly are on this.

Squeak

***first of all, that is just rude. second, i can prove it, and in fact, have proved it by performing all of my tasks; i write a bi-weekly article for a newspaper, currently am enrolled in 18 hours of college for my bachelors, work full time, maintain the iso database at linuxquestions.org, volunteer with a local youth group, attend security conventions and somehow find the time to camp and fish. with the exception of the fishing, i perform all of the actions at least 'good', and am striving for great, but that is a little hard while juggling so much. and i get high every day, sometimes several times a day. so screw you, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Bit overly defensive there stoner boy:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
Have a doob and chillax bru.
Oh, and try try NOT be an influence on the youth you volunteer for.:S:S:S:S

overly defensive?? you just called him a retard I think he has a right to be defensive judgement boy
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Rick

overly defensive?? you just called him a retard I think he has a right to be defensive judgement boy

I'm not sure that Squeak meant the term "retard" directly for him...

What I read was "neither retard" in that neither of the two... if he'd put a comma in there, well yeah that's insulting...

I don't partake, so I can't criticize those who do, so as long as they're not driving while high.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban