peek

Weird stock photo of me skydiving

Wanna see a really weird skydiving picture of me? Try this: www.mashable.com/2014/12/12/male-idiot-theory-darwin/ Someone pointed me to this article a few days ago. I had no idea it existed.

You can see by the photo credits "Image: Flickr, Philip Leara" that it is now a stock photo, but Phil hasn't jumped for ages, so that photo is quite old. I guess I look idiotic enough in that picture that my image fits well into a article titled "Study confirms men take more idiotic risks".

By the way, that picture was taken in the middle of me doing a backloop. I'm not trying to invent some new style of flying. Stock photos. Gotta love 'em, huh?

peek

Wanna see a really weird skydiving picture of me? Try this: www.mashable.com/2014/12/12/male-idiot-theory-darwin/ Someone pointed me to this article a few days ago. I had no idea it existed.

You can see by the photo credits "Image: Flickr, Philip Leara" that it is now a stock photo, but Phil hasn't jumped for ages, so that photo is quite old. I guess I look idiotic enough in that picture that my image fits well into a article titled "Study confirms men take more idiotic risks".

By the way, that picture was taken in the middle of me doing a backloop. I'm not trying to invent some new style of flying. Stock photos. Gotta love 'em, huh?

Is jumpsuit that gives away how old is picture!

Slater
McConkey es Dios

I think it's offensive and ignorant in a two-fold way.
First, they take your pic (OK, it does look a little funny but we all know skydiving and photos do not always go together in a flattering way) well, they take your pic to hint "Moron, Idiot" which comes close to an insult.
Second, they hint that skydiving is for morons and idiot who are going to die.

As for "men are more likely to kill themselves in silly actions" - this may be true in respect to percentage. I doubt, however, it got much to do with XY or anatomy or the influence of testosterone. I am sure it got much more to do with upbringing. Men are constantly told to be fighters, to be soldiers, to be strong, to take risks or they ain't no real men (*). So it's rather upbringing and societal expectations and pressure, that drive at least those men prone to give in to these expectations to engaging in silly activities. Just my 2 Eurocents.

Hannah B|

(*) No wonder closeted trans women often hide in jobs or activities that are physically demanding, include risks etc. Jet pilots, firefighters, soldiers, Navy SEALs, you name it.)

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

The article references a study in the British Medical Journal, Christmas edition. I seem to recall that that issue always includes some humourous article not meant to be taken too seriously.

For example, a paper of theirs in December 2003 suggested that the use of parachutes to save lives relies mainly on anecdotal evidence, and has never been subjected to a proper randomized, controlled trial. Properly, one has to have some people jump without functioning parachutes, and some with, in order to test their efficacy.

"Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational challenge: systematic review of randomised controlled trials"

The abstract: http://www.bmj.com/content/327/7429/1459
(Even for that humour piece one can't see the whole paper, but I have found it somewhere online at one time.)

Abedy

I think it's offensive and ignorant in a two-fold way.
First, they take your pic (OK, it does look a little funny but we all know skydiving and photos do not always go together in a flattering way) well, they take your pic to hint "Moron, Idiot" which comes close to an insult.
Second, they hint that skydiving is for morons and idiot who are going to die.

Which brings us back to this all important fact:

Those that do, can't explain
Those that don't, can't understand

:)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The people/person who wrote this article insisting that men take more risks than women never met the many skydiving girls we have in the sport. They may be in the minority at the DZs, but many of the skydiving girls who frequent the DZs are just as fearless as the men. Plus fearless not just towards jumping out of airplanes or jumping from fixed objects, but fearless in other activities as well. A little over a decade ago when I was still in Colorado, I met one of these fearless sky girls whom some of you may know. She was into wingsuit and BASE big time. Winnie Chung. Not sure where Winnie is these days, but Winnie and I went skiing one day together at Keystone (actually I was skiing and she was snowboarding). I am a former ski patroller at Lake Louise (a major ski resort in Western Canada) and have dabbled in some ski racing at the club level. So I know how to fly down a mountain at great velocity without killing myself and I could not believe my eyes when Winnie and I tore up the slopes that day. She was 100% fearless and I shit you not we were flying down the mountain all day long (what a great day). I was happy when the day ended and neither one of us hurt ourselves because while I was skiing with a helmet, good ole Winnie was flying down the mountain on her snowboard with nothing on her head but a pair of goggles.

It's not a male vs female thing. Some people have the gene that allows them to take pleasure from risks and others don't. Anyone remember the Imax movie "Andrenaline Rush"? They spoke about it in this movie.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Amazon

Rainbows. Gary.......... really????;)

Not that kind of rainbow. No purple. Think Flight Concepts rainbow.

JohnMagee

That looks to be from an era before the rainbow color pattern took on a new meaning...

Yes, John, and no purple.