ZeroPorosity

Flying car prototype crashes - Pilot parachutes to safety

"Flying car prototype crashes"
Pilot parachutes to safety

"On Friday, the AeroMobil 3.0 prototype flying car was on a test flight in Slovakia when eyewitnesses say it went into a tailspin. Its inventor and the man behind the controls, Stefan Klein, 54, deployed the vehicle's parachute system. Klein reportedly sustained only minor injuries."

http://www.cnet.com/news/revolutionary-flying-car-crashes/?_sm_au_=iMVKWQHT4sVHMMHs#ftag=YHF65cbda0

riggerrob

"Tail spin" is a term fashionable with shuffle, but never heard in flying schools.
We will have to wait for an informed reporter before we understand what really happened.

It's really embarrassing to admit to people that I have a Private SEL ticket, but still don't know what a "tail spin" is.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***"Tail spin" is a term fashionable with shuffle, but never heard in flying schools.
We will have to wait for an informed reporter before we understand what really happened.

It's really embarrassing to admit to people that I have a Private SEL ticket, but still don't know what a "tail spin" is.[:/]

It is simply a spin.

If you've never done them, find your instructor and punch him in the face. He cheated you.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

******"Tail spin" is a term fashionable with shuffle, but never heard in flying schools.

It is simply a spin.

If you've never done them, find your instructor and punch him in the face. He cheated you.

Relax Paul;
I did spins in the glider while training for my initial Private ticket;
And I did them again in the C150's where I did most of my SEL training.

BTW Try spins in a LET L-13 Blaník solo some time.
It spins so slowly that is funny.:D
Sort of like burying a toggle when jumping a 425' tandem solo.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

I did spins in the glider while training for my initial Private ticket;

And yet . . . you would not believe how many students never did since it's not an actual requirement. Stall "awareness and prevention"; yes. Actual, real, developed spins for a even a couple turns; a surprising number who have never seen them.
quade -

quade

***I did spins in the glider while training for my initial Private ticket;

And yet . . . you would not believe how many students never did since it's not an actual requirement. Stall "awareness and prevention"; yes. Actual, real, developed spins for a even a couple turns; a surprising number who have never seen them.

I think I probably requested the spin training.
I was already jumping, and my old man had a pilots license.

I've read articles about the debate over spin training and this sums up why the FAA isn't requiring it:

Accidents like this one further a debate that has divided the aviation community since 1949, when the Federal Aviation Administration eliminated from the syllabus for a private pilot’s license the requirement for spin training. John Wensel, manager of the FAA’s Certification Branch, General Aviation and Commercial Division, Flight Standards Services, recounts his agency’s reasoning: “We saw that 48 percent of the fatal accidents from that era involved stall/spin, and of those the majority were training-related. We were killing people in trying to eliminate the very thing that was happening to them.” A number of general aviation pilots, however, think that the requirement for spin training should be reinstated. Their reasoning: Everything about flying takes practice. How can a pilot possibly recover from something as disorienting as a spin if the first encounter is an unexpected one?

Source: http://www.airspacemag.com/flight-today/the-spin-debate-3571421/

Yeah, funny thing about that was though is the rule NOT requiring actual spins was made at a time when small aircraft design was a little janky to say the least. Then shortly after it got WAY better in terms of spin recovery (for instance, a C-150 you can literally just take your hands off the controls if you have enough altitude), so I'm not even sure I buy the original argument of more people would die during spin training than if they didn't have it to begin with.

Of course, now we have some really aerodynamically slick aircraft people are doing their primary training in where it might be an issue again.
quade -

ZeroPorosity

"Flying car prototype crashes"
Pilot parachutes to safety

"On Friday, the AeroMobil 3.0 prototype flying car was on a test flight in Slovakia when eyewitnesses say it went into a tailspin. Its inventor and the man behind the controls, Stefan Klein, 54, deployed the vehicle's parachute system. Klein reportedly sustained only minor injuries."

http://www.cnet.com/news/revolutionary-flying-car-crashes/?_sm_au_=iMVKWQHT4sVHMMHs#ftag=YHF65cbda0

That will buff right out....

Andy9o8

When I was a kid watching the Jetsons, they promised us flying cars. I want my damn flying car.

I doubt we'll see it in our lifetime. It's not efficient. Way more efficient is the self-driving car idea.
quade -

quade

Way more efficient is the self-driving car idea.

I want more than efficiency in a car. I want fun.

Will a self-driving car accelerate from 0 to 60 in 8 seconds?
Will a self-driving car pass the slow poke in front of me doing 10 under the speed limit?

Hell no. Self driving cars will have us all reduced to being exactly the same, operating under government self-driving car programming edicts. With acceleration limiters, speed governors, probably breathalyzer ignition too.

Fuck self-driving cars. Let the sheep have 'em. I want 400 horsepower which is under my own control.

quade

***When I was a kid watching the Jetsons, they promised us flying cars. I want my damn flying car.

I doubt we'll see it in our lifetime. It's not efficient. Way more efficient is the self-driving car idea.

OR.. The roads must roll;)

Andy9o8

I
don't
care

Yes, you will.

Aviation is pretty fugging expensive already. Go price a new C-172. Most basic and ubiquitous aircraft on the planet. If it were a car, it would be a basic VW Bug. $250k.

How much do you think a real, workable flying car is going to cost out the door? How much do you think it's going to cost to operate? $1m out the door? $200 per hour of operation?
quade -

quade

***I
don't
care

Yes, you will.

Aviation is pretty fugging expensive already. Go price a new C-172. Most basic and ubiquitous aircraft on the planet. If it were a car, it would be a basic VW Bug. $250k.

How much do you think a real, workable flying car is going to cost out the door? How much do you think it's going to cost to operate? $1m out the door? $200 per hour of operation?

OK, fine, then. For your next task, rebut the existence of Spiderman.