Squeak

Dean Potter Dead

Potter went in last night in Yosemeite, apparently he did not have his dog with him[:/]

Whisper is alive and well:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

ryoder

For those who actually care about the two people who died: http://www.outsideonline.com/1981591/dean-potter-killed-base-jumping-accident

And BTW the article says the dog survived.

So does my post. the initial report i read stated that Whisper was killed along with Potter, friends informed me otherwise, which is why i amended my post, incidentally, before you posted.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I feel sad for the people he left behind and his dog.

We all know the risks we're taking, and his path was riskier than most. We all find the rewards to be worth it. I remember on my first night jump, I was going to be the first one in the first group to exit the plane. It was July and hot on the plane, so we opened the door at 2000 feet to cool it off inside. I sat there looking out over the lights of Longmont from the door of the plane, thinking this was the most amazing experience of my life. The wonder I felt at it was almost indescribable.

I think Dean's life must have been like that constantly, just one indescribably amazing moment after another. It's something I almost can't even comprehend. I'm sad he's gone, but I'm also glad he tried to share with us in some small way what it was like, while he was here.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I met Dean when he was taking his AFF classes in 2003 (or was it 2004) in CO on his way to advancing towards his BASE jumping career. Then I met him again at Jimmy and Marta's place in Moab while we were all there to jump the magical cliffs of Moab. While I did not know Dean the same way his friends knew him, his attitude was definitely a good one. Humble but confident. The things he did with his rock climbing and highlining are just mind boggling.

Obviously Dean pushed the enveloped much further then most of us and BASE jumping and Skydiving are just one of those rare sports where our odds of getting into trouble increase as we gain more experience because we try to do more risky jumps. The margin for errors is minimal out there in Skydiving and especially in BASE. The smallest mistake can take even the most experienced, has taken the most experienced (ie: Jonathan Tagle, Shane McConkey, etc, etc.)

BSBD Dean, I am sure you had a heck of a ride.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I feel sad for the unknown base jumper that is barely getting an acknowledgment that he perished at the same time.

I feel the same way, when writing the current homepage article I tried my best to find information on Graham but everyone was just focusing on Dean and it was difficult to get relevant information because of it.

If someone who knew him personally has some background information on him that could be added to it, I would be happy to do so if they can PM me.