JohnMitchell

Stupid Pedestrians

So, out driving yesterday with Vskydiver riding shotgun. I'm making a right turn on a green light, driving in the retail area of Lacey, WA. There's a woman, 20-something, head down, looking at her smart phone, earbuds in, waiting to cross the street but she has a "don't walk" sign. Even so, I pause to see if she'll step off the curb. She doesn't, so I start. She steps off the curb in front of me. I hit the brakes and the horn. She never even lifts her head from the smart phone as she strolls in front of me. . .:S

I am getting so tired of entitled pedestrians who don't care enough about their own survival to look around a bit for traffic. Do they really think those painted lines will magically stop a ton or two of rolling steel?

Last month, while in Florida, my wife and I witnessed a jaywalker running thru traffic with a 12 pack of Coronas get nailed by a car. He ran in front of the car from behind a blind spot, totally the jaywalker's (jayrunner's?) fault, yet I'm sure he'll get a nice little settlement from the driver's insurance company. :S

Hey pedestrians, you're outweighed by automobiles by a factor of 10 to 20. You just may want to pay a little more attention. And don't even think about learning to skydive. I don't want your stupid attitude in the air anywhere around me. >:(

Also a problem here in Denver...

It's gotten to the point where I kind of take sick pleasure when I'm on my bike and a jaywalker gets drilled by my 29" tires.

Hey fuck stick! See that thing that says Don't Walk and that 2 ton truck with a green light coming for you?! DONT WALK!

I feel your pain, John.

JohnnyMarko

I feel your pain, John.

:D:DThanks, bro, I needed that.

When I was 14, I got knocked off my bike by a car making a right turn on a red light. I had a green light and was riding the proper direction, but he just didn't see me. Bent up bike, scrapes and bruises for me, nothing serious. Cop didn't ticket the driver because, well, it was Utah. But the driver paid for my emergency room check out and to fix the bike. :)
We had just moved to Utah, where you could turn right on red lights, from Texas, where you couldn't back then. I blame this for my lack of defensive riding that day. But I sure learned in a hurry. :D

Here's my contribution. I recently missed hitting a teen-something kid on a skateboard riding down the middle (not the shoulder) of a busy commercial road. He just cut me off like he was a motorized vehicle making a lane change. (Come to think of it, he didn't even signal!) But for my mad skilz and my brakes, he'd have been maimed. When I beeped at him, he indignantly (of course) pointed down at his skateboard, as if saying "Dude, WTF, I've got wheels, too."

Should have hit the kid anyway. Dumb shit. Fortunately I've not had any close encounters living in a small rural town and taking my kids to the larger lake-side town's schools.

I just have wild animal issues. And boy, they are fucking retarded sometimes. :S

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Andy9o8

Here's my contribution. I recently missed hitting a teen-something kid on a skateboard riding down the middle (not the shoulder) of a busy commercial road. He just cut me off like he was a motorized vehicle making a lane change. (Come to think of it, he didn't even signal!) But for my mad skilz and my brakes, he'd have been maimed. When I beeped at him, he indignantly (of course) pointed down at his skateboard, as if saying "Dude, WTF, I've got wheels, too."

Well, if he wants to be treated like a "vehicle," he should act like one! And incidentally, drivers who cut off other drivers, without signalling, would draw the "beeps" just the same. So in a way, you did treat him like he was another "vehicle." :)
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Andy9o8

When I beeped at him, he indignantly (of course) pointed down at his skateboard, as if saying "Dude, WTF, I've got wheels, too."

Here in CO, bicycles are legally vehicles, but not skateboards, rollerskates, etc.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***When I beeped at him, he indignantly (of course) pointed down at his skateboard, as if saying "Dude, WTF, I've got wheels, too."

Here in CO, bicycles are legally vehicles, but not skateboards, rollerskates, etc.

Well, clearly this rocket surgeon prolly figgered that well, duh, bikes have wheels and have rights on the road, so skateboards must, too. Calling Professor Darwin.

JohnMitchell

I am getting so tired of entitled pedestrians who don't care enough about their own survival to look around a bit for traffic. Do they really think those painted lines will magically stop a ton or two of rolling steel?

Absolutely, but as someone who walks a lot in my pedestrian-oriented neighborhoods (both at home and at work) I am equally sick of drivers who believe their need to get from point A to point B as fast as possible trump my right to safely cross the street. I appreciate drivers who, like you, take a breath to try to establish communication via eye contact with pedestrians before moving across a crosswalk. Unfortunately there's just as many who think that it's perfectly okay to ignore the crosswalk because they're in a hurry. I'm not going to step out into a crosswalk till I've looked around enough to believe that I can safely cross it, but I'm not above yelling at an asshole or twelve who breezes right by me as I step back onto the curb. :D

(And I say this as someone who spent a week in the hospital after getting taken out by a driver who ran a red light and nailed me in the crosswalk after slamming into a car that was legally in the intersection... I try to be hyper vigilant as both a pedestrian and a driver ... and it has to be a partnership).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Andy9o8

******When I beeped at him, he indignantly (of course) pointed down at his skateboard, as if saying "Dude, WTF, I've got wheels, too."

Well, clearly this rocket surgeon prolly figgered that well, duh, bikes have wheels and have rights on the road, so skateboards must, too. Calling Professor Darwin.

So could you identify him?
Is he one of these guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mLYe9_Qsew:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

NWFlyer

(And I say this as someone who spent a week in the hospital after getting taken out by a driver who ran a red light and nailed me in the crosswalk after slamming into a car that was legally in the intersection... I try to be hyper vigilant as both a pedestrian and a driver ... and it has to be a partnership).

I remember you telling me about that. Talk about experienced.[:/]

And you're right. It should be everyone working together.

JohnMitchell

Last month, while in Florida, my wife and I witnessed a jaywalker running thru traffic with a 12 pack of Coronas get nailed by a car. He ran in front of the car from behind a blind spot, totally the jaywalker's (jayrunner's?) fault, yet I'm sure he'll get a nice little settlement from the driver's insurance company. :S

In Tampa at least, this has been a big issue, people getting nailed jay walking, so they started putting crosswalks in the busiest areas that now impact traffic, so that someone doesn't have to trouble themselves with walking to the corner with a light, which may be a block or two away. http://www.tampabay.com/news/transportation/roads/hillsborough-avenue-site-of-pedestrian-deaths-to-get-signal-crosswalk/2175271

I don't get what the whole point of it is, and usually the people that I do see it look like they could use a little more walking to the corner. It really disgusts me when I see a family with young kids and their parents are teaching them to do it.

As far as the guy getting nailed by a car, I have heard of at least one instance of a car v girl and the girl got transported to the hospital (broken up but alive). After her surgery, there was a police officer there to issue her a citation for jaywalking. Not sure if that hit the drivers insurance, but it did make me feel at least a little better that someone will enforce it. The cops around here don't seem to care unless there's a collision though.

ETA: For what it's worth, and from my recollection, we have had far more fatalities caused by wrong way (usually drunk) drivers on our interstates (seriously became a couple a month and a few on the same night arrested by the same cop) https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=tampa+wrong+way+driver&tbm=nws
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

pattersd

so the really important question
What happened to the twelve pack of Coronas?

Probably all broke and spilled. No big loss. Corona sucks. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

>Here in CO, bicycles are legally vehicles, but not skateboards, rollerskates, etc.

I often take (or rent) a bike when I go to Boulder and it always surprises me. I'll come to a street crossing and stop because traffic is coming. Then the cars stop. And I look around for the red light or stop sign (don't want to cross just as the light is turning green) - but there's nothing. What are they waiting for?

Oh - they're waiting for me. Would never happen in San Diego unless you are halfway into the street, waving and staring at them.

billvon

>Here in CO, bicycles are legally vehicles, but not skateboards, rollerskates, etc.

I often take (or rent) a bike when I go to Boulder and it always surprises me. I'll come to a street crossing and stop because traffic is coming. Then the cars stop. And I look around for the red light or stop sign (don't want to cross just as the light is turning green) - but there's nothing. What are they waiting for?

Oh - they're waiting for me. Would never happen in San Diego unless you are halfway into the street, waving and staring at them.

That drives me crazy.
There is a small subset of drivers who think there is a whole different set of traffic rules that engage when a bike is present. I refuse to go when they make pointless stops. I have actually had a driver stop on a thru street and motion for me to go, (I was at a stop sign), while there was 40mph traffic blowing by in the other 3 lanes of the 4-lane street! Doing stupid, unpredictable things gets people hurt.

ryoder

***>Here in CO, bicycles are legally vehicles, but not skateboards, rollerskates, etc.

That drives me crazy.
There is a small subset of drivers who think there is a whole different set of traffic rules that engage when a bike is present. I refuse to go when they make pointless stops. I have actually had a driver stop on a thru street and motion for me to go, (I was at a stop sign), while there was 40mph traffic blowing by in the other 3 lanes of the 4-lane street! Doing stupid, unpredictable things gets people hurt.

Biking to work downtown Denver is a real treat.

theonlyski

As far as the guy getting nailed by a car, I have heard of at least one instance of a car v girl and the girl got transported to the hospital (broken up but alive). After her surgery, there was a police officer there to issue her a citation for jaywalking. Not sure if that hit the drivers insurance, but it did make me feel at least a little better that someone will enforce it. The cops around here don't seem to care unless there's a collision though.

Interesting little factoid about insurance and pedestrian accidents. Guy who hit me was ticketed for a red light violation but lawyered up and got out of the ticket on a technicality. His insurance company didn't dispute that he was liable for the accident (since, as mentioned above, I was not jaywalking, but was in the crosswalk with a walk signal), so my medical bills went against his insurance. Problem was he had the state minimum (which at the time was $50K, may still be) which wasn't enough to cover my bills, so the rest of the payment was made by my uninsured/under-insured coverage on my auto policy (even though I was walking). I guess if I'd been a non-driver who didn't have my own auto insurance I would've been screwed on the bills on that one, or maybe it would've been borne by my medical insurance company (as it was they were off the hook for all the bills).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

Interesting little factoid about insurance and pedestrian accidents. Guy who hit me was ticketed for a red light violation but lawyered up and got out of the ticket on a technicality. His insurance company didn't dispute that he was liable for the accident (since, as mentioned above, I was not jaywalking, but was in the crosswalk with a walk signal), so my medical bills went against his insurance. Problem was he had the state minimum (which at the time was $50K, may still be) which wasn't enough to cover my bills, so the rest of the payment was made by my uninsured/under-insured coverage on my auto policy (even though I was walking). I guess if I'd been a non-driver who didn't have my own auto insurance I would've been screwed on the bills on that one, or maybe it would've been borne by my medical insurance company (as it was they were off the hook for all the bills).

Your medical ins co was off the hook for the bills because there were sufficient motor vehicle insurance policies in place (his plus yours) to cover all of your bills; and under most states' laws, MV ins coverage is primary over health ins coverage.
Had the aggregate of whatever combination of his MV coverage (if any) coverage plus your MV coverage (if any) been insufficient to cover 100% of your bills, then your health ins coverage would have been triggered for the remaining uncovered amount. Clear as mud? ;)

Andy9o8

Your medical ins co was off the hook for the bills because there were sufficient motor vehicle insurance policies in place (his plus yours) to cover all of your bills; and under most states' laws, MV ins coverage is primary over health ins coverage.
Had the aggregate of whatever combination of his MV coverage (if any) coverage plus your MV coverage (if any) been insufficient to cover 100% of your bills, then your health ins coverage would have been triggered for the remaining uncovered amount. Clear as mud? ;)

Totally! Which is why I lawyered up to make sure I got all my expenses covered by the (too many) insurance companies that were involved.

It actually does make total sense that MV coverage would be primary in those accidents and the health insurers would subrogate (I actually work in the health insurance area though not in claims; still a little of that stuff has seeped in through osmosis.) I'd just never really thought through where my auto insurance fit in if I wasn't actually in a vehicle... but I learned (the hard way).

NWFlyer

Totally! Which is why I lawyered up to make sure I got all my expenses covered by the (too many) insurance companies that were involved.

It actually does make total sense that MV coverage would be primary in those accidents and the health insurers would subrogate (I actually work in the health insurance area though not in claims; still a little of that stuff has seeped in through osmosis.) I'd just never really thought through where my auto insurance fit in if I wasn't actually in a vehicle... but I learned (the hard way).

Speaking of subrogation, it wouldn't have been just your health ins carrier that had the right to subrogate. Once your MV carrier paid on your UM/UIM claim, your MV carrier did have the right to pursue subrogation against the other guy to get its money back from him, since it was his fault.

Andy9o8

Speaking of subrogation, once your MV carrier paid on your UM/UIM claim, your carrier had the right to pursue subrogation against the other guy to get its money back from him, since it was his fault.

Yeah IIRC they figured out pretty quickly the guy had nothing to go after.

NWFlyer

Speaking of subrogation, once your MV carrier paid on your UM/UIM claim, your carrier had the right to pursue subrogation against the other guy to get its money back from him, since it was his fault.

I hate people like that.

Bottom line, if you can afford a fucking car, you should be able to afford the fucking insurance. :|

Some 12 years ago I was heading home at night. Off in the distance I saw a car with sparks spraying off it. It pulled over and stopped well before I passed it. I noticed it was missing its front left tire and rim.

I turned my attention back to the dark interstate in front of me and almost immediately, I hit the rolling tire/rim with my left front tire, sending me flying and bouncing on the highway before I regained control and pulled over.

I checked the front. The bumper above the left side tire was caved in. I'd done some serious damage. But was able to back up in reverse on the shoulder back to the disabled car. Turned out to be a family that were sort of transients if that's the correct term. The man told me they had no insurance, but gave me a phone number (which later turned out to be fake). I gave the family a ride to the next exit and dropped them off at the convenience store and drove my rattling truck home.

In retrospect, I should have had the state troopers involved before I did anything beyond backing up to the family's car.

My insurance couldn't track the family down, but they covered my vehicle 100% minus the deductible. To the tune of $7500 in damage.

BillyVance

I hate people like that.

Bottom line, if you can afford a fucking car, you should be able to afford the fucking insurance. :|

The guy who hit Krisanne did have insurance, Billy - the legal minimum amount required by that state's law. But her damages exceeded the limits of liability of his policy, so her own insurance had to kick in to cover the remainder.

What she's saying is that after the other guy's policy limits were exhausted, he didn't have enough personal assets of his own to make it worth while going after him for reimbursement (subrogation) of what her own carrier had to pay on her behalf. Blood from a stone, and all that.