clustermagnet

How you feel the following day after making 5+ jumps

Folks,
I am a bit worried about my health on Mondays. After a long skydiving weekend, I go home, rest for at least 8 hours, and go to work.
For the past 8 years I have yet to be able to figure out what I can do different to mitigate the hang-over effect I get after a skydiving weekend. I've tried everything...

1. cardio and fitness (im not out of shape by any means)
2. drinking more water than an elephant.
3. not drinking a single beer (gasp).

Nothing seems to work. The following day I always feel miserable, and can barely function while in the office. Since my work is closely related with computers, I really can barely stand this any longer. Hence this post.

Has anyone been able to conquer this shit? Are there any docs here that can give some possible insights?

Do you at least stretch your muscles out when you get home or after packing up from your last jump? It could be lactic acid buildup in your body from all that work skydiving. the stretching helps work the acid out of them.

You can also soak in a hot tub sprinkled with epsom salt.

YMMV
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

Do you at least stretch your muscles out when you get home or after packing up from your last jump? It could be lactic acid buildup in your body from all that work skydiving. the stretching helps work the acid out of them.

You can also soak in a hot tub sprinkled with epsom salt.

YMMV

I'll give that a shot, although I've gone to see massage therapists right after hard openings, and they DO help tremendously.

The type of skydives does not seem to matter however, and I certainly do not feel this way after 2-3 days of straight tunnel. It must be something with decompression :(

piisfish

It just sounds as you don't want to go to work. Change jobs. Find your happy job.

This, or you're not eating enough after jumping. Adrenalin is an appetite supressant, so you won't feel hungry, but you'll be running on empty.

bob.dino

This, or you're not eating enough after jumping. Adrenalin is an appetite supressant, so you won't feel hungry, but you'll be running on empty.

Something like this would be my guess as well.

From the sound of your posts I'm assuming you're a regular jumper so we're not talking about unusual muscle strain / activity.
I do know that I tend to eat very differently on a DZ than I do at home. It may be that a change in diet is throwing your body off... Is what you eat / drink at the DZ different to what you'd have during the week?

Describing your symptoms might help too. Is it mental - is it different to being tired?
Are you feeling nauseous or have a lack of appetite?

yoink

Something like this would be my guess as well.

From the sound of your posts I'm assuming you're a regular jumper so we're not talking about unusual muscle strain / activity.
I do know that I tend to eat very differently on a DZ than I do at home. It may be that a change in diet is throwing your body off... Is what you eat / drink at the DZ different to what you'd have during the week?

Describing your symptoms might help too. Is it mental - is it different to being tired?
Are you feeling nauseous or have a lack of appetite?

Thanks! Yes, I dont have any appetite issues.. eat as usual. I'll try to get more liquids down, but that does not seem to help much.

Job is excellent, I love what I do :) Otherwise I wouldnt care so much :)

Problems are all mental, muscles are fine. Feel completely spacey and have no power to concentrate on tasks.

What should the reading be for a 35 year old male, 220lbs, slim/fit ?

I don't know. I'm not a doctor.

A few individual anecdotes, even if from skydivers, but from people who aren't medical professionals, are quite possibly meaningless as applied to you, in the opinion of a doctor who actually examines you, and whose training and experience are the product of many thousands of case histories. Their laypersons' experiences, "for what it's worth", might be worth nothing, or even might possibly be misleading and harmful if applied to you.

For your sake: you really need to ask these questions to a doctor.

Or it could be you're all FUCK YEAH BITCHIN!! jumping all weekend.

Then come back down to earth Monday morning and you're all FUCK THIS SHIT.

:D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It could just be that you're more susceptible to a letdown after the adrenaline production of the weekend, or that your metabolism is reacting to the production of something else that goes along with stress or adrenaline.

A discussion with your doctor would help if he doctor isn't a "when in doubt apply a prescription" type. More protein might help as well, and/or a low-sugar breakfast so that you don't add a sugar letdown to it.

Or maybe just take the time to meditate or do some yoga or something else that focuses you back down at the end of the jumping weekend, or Monday morning

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have jumped as many times as 15 per day, several days in a row (back when jumping was way, way, WAY less expensive. I was not tired the next day. But I was/am pretty sporty and those were all fun jumps..

The times where I have been absolutely exhausted (mentally and physically) have been when I was getting coach jumps... The whole brief, jump, debrief, hurry up and pack to be ready to re-brief and catch the next load is not how I optimise learning... It's how I feel stress and frustration and ultimately fatigue. I have learnt over time that if I want to get the most out of my jumping, I need to mix it up a bit by doing some "learning" and some "goofing off". And when in "learning mode" I take it slow and pay for my pack jobs and I don't let the coach bully me into doing too many jumps in a short period of time. It may work very well for some people but not everyone learns the same way.

Be honest with yourself and try to pinpoint whatever it is that is draining your energy. Maybe your fitness level, maybe your stress level, maybe your adrenalin level, maybe trying to learn too many things at once... All I can say is that physically, doing 5 jumps should not be tiring you out that much...
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

clustermagnet

You must have suffered a TBI at some point and either gone untreated or failed to develop a cognitive response to accommodate your disability.You have forgotten your training.

Clearly beer is an important part of post jumping recovery. It has the necessary carbs, protein and muscle relaxants for proper post jump recovery.

Nataly

I have jumped as many times as 15 per day, several days in a row (back when jumping was way, way, WAY less expensive. I was not tired the next day. But I was/am pretty sporty and those were all fun jumps..

The times where I have been absolutely exhausted (mentally and physically) have been when I was getting coach jumps... The whole brief, jump, debrief, hurry up and pack to be ready to re-brief and catch the next load is not how I optimise learning... It's how I feel stress and frustration and ultimately fatigue. I have learnt over time that if I want to get the most out of my jumping, I need to mix it up a bit by doing some "learning" and some "goofing off". And when in "learning mode" I take it slow and pay for my pack jobs and I don't let the coach bully me into doing too many jumps in a short period of time. It may work very well for some people but not everyone learns the same way.

Be honest with yourself and try to pinpoint whatever it is that is draining your energy. Maybe your fitness level, maybe your stress level, maybe your adrenalin level, maybe trying to learn too many things at once... All I can say is that physically, doing 5 jumps should not be tiring you out that much...

I agree, I've done a couple of quick back to back coach jumps and my 2nd jump just hasn't went all that well if its been rushed. I need time to process what just happened, what I did right, what I did wrong, etc. Mentally tired is much different than physical. But mainly I just need time to wind down after the huge shot of adrenaline that my body just took and then I can refocus and jump again.

Folks,
I am a bit worried about my health on Mondays. After a long skydiving weekend, I go home, rest for at least 8 hours, and go to work.
For the past 8 years I have yet to be able to figure out what I can do different to mitigate the hang-over effect I get after a skydiving weekend. I've tried everything...

Nothing seems to work. The following day I always feel miserable, and can barely function while in the office. Since my work is closely related with computers, I really can barely stand this any longer. Hence this post.

Has anyone been able to conquer this shit? Are there any docs here that can give some possible insights?

I've had the rundown/hangover feeling the next day too and it doesn't matter if I drink beer or not drink any. Its called an adrenaline hangover. I'm still a student in skydiving but my job as an ICU nurse involves adrenaline in different ways such as code blues and saving lives and I'm the most senior on the 12 night shift. Then if I try to last till noon the next day to jump after working...well its probably not the smartest thing to do in my case and I have held off jumping because of it before. When I have jumped I have been literally just shit the next day. Now that probably is because of my screwed up sleeping schedule but add in a stressful job and jumping out of an airplane a few times and yeah I'll admit I get run down the next day maybe even the day after that.

I think I'm acclimating to it as I get more used to jumping and learning what works for me and what doesn't. I have stood down from jumps and told my instructors that I'm just not ready for it but at the same time I badly want to get my A license. I know that not your situation but anyways I know what you are going through. It doesn't help that I'm getting older either lol.

Basically my suggestion is to listen to what your body is telling you actually screaming at you. I know that sounds dumb but adjust to what works for you. Sure it might be your health and seeing a doctor isn't a bad thing if you haven't been there in a while. Having 999 jumps in 3 years though I would imagine that you are acclimated to adrenaline but maybe not I don't know you. Maybe your job is stressful and requires you to mentally focus and you add in 15 jumps the previous day and your body just wants to shut down. But yeah I'd just say you need to slow down and relax a bit, find what works for you. People don't realize it because they do it all the time but adrenaline is quite stressful on the body, its the basic fight or flight response. We use epinephrine to bring people back to life during a code and that's the same stuff your body releases each time you jump. I'd imagine people with higher numbers get acclimated and used to it. Anyways sorry to drag on my post but yeah your body is human and it does get worn down may not seem like skydiving is much work but your body is telling your otherwise so just listen to it.

I found a story about a reporter that was headed to a railcar fire and this kind of sums it up at least me I guess "I can’t speak for Aziza, but I was in a full adrenaline rush. Besides ice cream, adrenaline is my favorite addiction because the world comes into sharp focus, my energy surges, my memory traps every morsel of information and I feel ALIVE. Let me make this clear, the rush that gives me so much I realize is at the expense of something or someone else and for that reason it is to be eschewed as a source of chemical pleasure. Better to stick with ice cream to console oneself, but adrenaline is an amazing changer of the inner self.

Except for when it’s over. We finished our traipsing about, attended a news conference and returned to the office to write. She was in charge of the main story, and I contributed some local color. I could feel the rush subsiding and knew what was coming. By bedtime, though, I spent it among friends burning off the remainder of the adrenaline with too much chatter. I was spent to grogginess. Saturday was little better. On Sunday, though, I had to report an out-of-town story, fatigue was my constant companion.

You’d think I would learn to avoid adrenaline or at least learn to manage my emotions better. Adrenaline will suck the life out of you for days after the few hours of clarity and energy you enjoy. That negative reinforcement should be enough, but sadly to say, it is not.
http://amarillo.com/lifestyle/our-town/2011-09-19/adrenaline-leaves-nasty-hangover

Adrenaline actually has a lot to do with PTSD in combat veterans but that's a whole nother can of worms.

Anyways hope you get to figure out what works for you. Oh and a general rule of thumb for a pulse oximetry reading in a 35yr old non smoker should be 92% or above in a healthy person 95-100%. I wouldn't waste you money on one though but it would be fun to play with on the way to altitude!

For what it's worth, I see that you have a coach rating. On the days after I coached even a good student I felt stressed out. A tough, self-centered and demanding student could ruin my whole week. The whole brief, coach, debrief, pack hurrythefuckupgoddamnit attitude got me down. Are you coaching? Since I've stopped coaching and instructing (dropped all my ratings) I go to the DZ for one reason: fun. Now I feel GREAT all week long after a good weekend of jumping.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

clustermagnet

Folks,

Hi "Cluster &%#$,
Back in the day of Round Parachutes , Iron Men, "Women were proud of that!" TEN-MAN, Small Door Beech 18's, lots'a Cali. Desert Dust and 100*F+ air temps., if ya' survived "That" every thing else including Getting Drunk at Dick & Marilyn's "Rumbleseat" Tavern, Cardinal Puff (Puff for the Third and Final time!!) demos, and ya' made it back to yer "HOME!!!" you are worried about how you feel on Monday and have to go to work?? Sheesh?? Get a Grip!! About 10 AM you'll be sittin' at yer bench with yer 2nd cup of coffee with this "Glazed over" expression in yer eyes because it just hit you that you were in the first ever 20 WAY Skydive at your DZ this weekend and the Whuffs "Haven't Got a Fu@#^% Clue??"......... You feel "Fine!!"
I was in my 20's and 30's then and I was "INVINCIBLE!!!!!"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hey Cluster....,
The part in yer poll line up 2nd from bottom about the "ESPRESSO MACHINE!!!!" OK here's the deal and I've mentioned this many times before!!!!
First, "Get some Good Coffee!!! 'Especially Espresso good stuff!!,
Never mind the "Demitase" cup, get a 12 oz. Beer mug!! Got That!! We're going Capuccino so get ready!
In the MUG......Put
1 Jigger of Coffee Liquor (Kalua or the like)
1 Jigger of Irish Cream (Emmets or the like)
1 Jigger of Jamesons
1 Jigger of "Dark Rum" More if you dare!
1 jigger of Amaretto, Franjellico or the like!!
1 jigger of "What ever tickles your fancy at this point!!"Do up the espresso and when the steam comes up put the mug with all this stuff under the steam spigot and "Froth it up!!"
When the coffee is done, pour the whole craffe in the mug !!
Ya' can top it off with some whipped cream and cinnamon !!
E-N-J-O-Y !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Need I say more?
I love the stuff!! Ya' now those Krupps 'Mini Espresso" machines?? I've run 3 of those to the point where the boiler "Blew up!!!" Needless to say, I keep Krupps in the "Front line!!
PS if ya' think the quantities I mention are gettin' "Up There" keep the same line up but cut the Jamesons on down by 1/2 and you'll be OK!!
And as Rob Crumb said in one of his old ZAP Comix,...."Keetechy coo you Bastards!!"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out