fallfast69

Bikers...Gremlin Bells...Dead Skvdiver Gear

Bikers, Gremlin Bells, and Dead Skydiver Gear,

We’ve always had a tough-of-war relationship with what to do with a jumpers gear if they bounce…”skydivers eat their dead”…”first ghoul to the crater”…etc.

I brought a motorcycle home Thursday evening and all the neighbors came around to have a look. Everyone took a turn at having a ride. My next door neighbor took a turn…this is really hard to write. We have gathered that he rode for maybe 6 minutes and was killed instantly due to head trauma while going South on IH 35.

Suffice to say, my guilt is more than overwhelming.

Everyone that rode had motorcycle experience and a motorcycle license.

I inspected the bike on Saturday. There is no way, properly dressed rider, should have been killed.

I’ll ride in the hill country (and take my chances) without proper protective gear, but not on the Interstate.

Again., my guilt is overwhelming, and I ask of you guys, should I feel the immense grief and mourning that I going through?

The bike had a gremlin bell on it when I bought it and took it home. He died with that bell. I want to buy a new bell and put it with the casket…is that appropriate…I think it is…am I wrong? Should I get the bell that was on the bike when he was killed or maybe get a new one?

The bike can be fixed…but, the age old struggle, dead biker bike.

I’m really trying to work through this one and need to figure this out by Wednesday…the viewing.

You know you're not responsible, but it doesn't matter, does it? You'll have to work through it, and talking will help. I had a friend who was the survivor in a canopy wrap on opening (he was low). It took a long time, even though he did everything he knew to do at the time.

Unless he was a biker and you KNOW his family would appreciate it, I might not do the gremlin bell. Frankly, I've been riding over twenty years, and didn't know about gremlin bells (I'm kind of a loner).

I'm so sorry this happened. It doesn't really matter who was officially at fault, does it?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Thank you Wendy. It's just one of those "if I would have..." things that's eating at me badly. On the surface, I know it's not really not my fault, but deep in my gut...well, that's different. Should have been a 5 or 10 minute fun-ride.

eta...Sorry about your friend in the wrap and having to deal with that. It only takes a fraction of second that determines the difference between walking away, injury, or fatality. Living can suck sometimes.

Jon

Sorry about your friend, but this is not your fault and it's not the bikes fault and if it had been a rig, assuming no design flaw, it would not have been the rigs fault. People make choices and people make errors and people die. It's just part of life.

A guy named Charter died in almost exactly the same way. First ride on a new bike, bumped his head. Sad but it's life and life is sad some times.

And never pass up a deal on a death rig. Their are some awesome bargains out their. You may have to resew a few stitches here and there but blood washes out. Bikes were meant to ride, rigs were meant to jump, planes were meant to fly, and so were we. With out that they lose all their meaning. With out that our lives lose all their meaning.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

RiggerLee

Sorry about your friend, but this is not your fault and it's not the bikes fault and if it had been a rig, assuming no design flaw, it would not have been the rigs fault. People make choices and people make errors and people die. It's just part of life.

A guy named Charter died in almost exactly the same way. First ride on a new bike, bumped his head. Sad but it's life and life is sad some times.

And never pass up a deal on a death rig. Their are some awesome bargains out their. You may have to resew a few stitches here and there but blood washes out. Bikes were meant to ride, rigs were meant to jump, planes were meant to fly, and so were we. With out that they lose all their meaning. With out that our lives lose all their meaning.

Lee

Thank you John and thank you Lee

Maybe I'm just getting to the point that you shouldnt have to die to have fun. Whats the fun in that? Wow...am I jaded or what?

Jon

It would be inappropriate to put that particular Gremlin Bell in his casket.

The Gremlin Bell is given by a friend and placed on the bike for safe travels.

The Gremlin Bell is to protect you - not him.

It should go on your next bike.

Cause technically; it did its job.

Some - even one would find it distasteful to send him on his final ride with that bell for all eternity.

Find something else or get a new gremlin bell. patches, club coins, something you and he shared together of importance.

You're not at fault, you're not to blame, he chose the route.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

fallfast69

...Maybe I'm just getting to the point that you shouldnt have to die to have fun. Whats the fun in that? Wow...am I jaded or what?

Jon

You don't have to die. I've been riding over 30 years and jumping over 10 and I'm not dead...

Yet.

Real life involves risk. You can't even love someone without some risk (that they are going to leave or die first). The alternative is to wrap yourself in bubble wrap and hide under a tarp in the basement. And even then, the house could burn down. Is that really living?

Each person has to decide if the risk is worth the reward. For both jumping and riding, the levels get closer up every year. But I'm not quitting this year.

He chose to get on the bike, he chose the route, his choices (not yours) are what cost him his life, even if the "choice" that ultimately cost him his life was "Left or Right at this intersection." We often have no clue of the true consequences of the simplest choices we make all day, every day.

And, of course, all that is easy to say. And much, much harder to take when you have had a recent loss. Been there.
Sorry about your friend.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

The bell is a symbol, no more no less. I don't think I know anyone who believes in any mystical powers. It's a symbol of caring that one friend shows to another. As far as sending one with him, who knows. It means about as much as bringing a piece of the motorcycle to him.

As for responsibility, Unless this guy was 10yrs old I see none. Even without knowing his experience it's not your burden to carry. He was an adult,he chose to get on the bike.

About 4 yrs ago I organized a ride in north Georgia with a few friends. A good friend of mine and her husband decided to rent a bike for the ride. They had been thinking about buying one but had not pulled the trigger yet. Long story short, after riding fine for a few hours he washed out in a decreasing radius curve, they were both ejected over the guard rail and he was killed.

My friend spent months in the hospital and rehab, almost lost her leg. She has since learned to ride and we ride together often.

I carried guilt for some time. In the end, Neal over sold himself and entered into a situation he may not have been prepared for. With hind sight and experience are there things I would do differently? Absolutely!! Could I have foreseen what happened at the time? Apparently not.

You are not going to find a sane person who will blame you for this guys decision.